11 Health Benefits of Dandelion and Dandelion Root

Monday, April 15, 2013 @ 10:04 AM Charlie Pulsipher
11 Health Benefits of Dandelion and Dandelion Root 4.52/5 (90.48%) 479 votes

11_health_benefits_of_dandelion_and_dandelion_root_picDandelion is most often thought of as a pesky weed that takes over in lawns, gardens, meadows, and even pops up in cracked sidewalks and pavement. It is invasive and pervasive. Lucky for us, it is also an excellent food and herbal medicine that anyone can find, grow, and put to use.

Dandelion is a very rich source of beta-carotene which we convert into vitamin A. This flowering plant is also rich in vitamin C, fiber, potassium, iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, and phosphorus. It is a good place to get B complex vitamins, trace minerals, organic sodium, and even vitamin D. Dandelion contains protein too, more than spinach. It has been eaten for thousands of years and used to treat anemia, scurvy, skin problems, blood disorders, and depression.

Seeds grow readily in your garden, planter boxes, or pots. If you collect them wild, try to choose ones you know have not been subjected to pesticides, fertilizers, and other chemicals. The ones in your lawn are not the best. Pick them instead from a mountain meadow or abandoned lot. Seeds can be bought or you can gather them from the familiar puff balls you see each summer. Dandelion leaves can also be found fresh in some health food markets or as a freeze-dried herb. Dandelion tea, capsules, and tinctures are also available.

Digestive Aid – Dandelion acts as a mild laxative that promotes digestion, stimulates appetite, and balances the natural and beneficial bacteria in the intestines.

Kidney – This weed-like superfood is a diuretic that helps the kidneys clear out waste, salt, and excess water. This inhibits microbial growth in the urinary system too.

Liver – Dandelion has been shown to improve liver function by removing toxins and reestablishing hydration and electrolyte balance.

Antioxidants – Every part of the dandelion plant is rich in antioxidants that prevent free-radical damage to cells and DNA, slowing down the aging process in our cells.

health_benefits_of_flowers_imageCancer – Dandelion acts against cancer to slow its growth and prevent its spread. The leaves are especially rich in the antioxidants and phytonutrients that combat cancer.

Diabetes – Recent animal studies show promise that dandelion helps regulate blood sugar and insulin levels.

High Blood Pressure – As a diuretic dandelion increases urination which then lowers blood pressure. The fiber and potassium in dandelion also regulate blood pressure.

Cholesterol – Animal studies have shown that dandelion lowers and control cholesterol levels.

Gallbladder – Dandelion increases bile production and reduces inflammation to help with gallbladder problems and blockages.

Inflammation – Dandelion contains essential fatty acids and phytonutrients that reduce inflammation throughout the body. This can relieve pain and swelling.

Immune System – Animal studies also show that dandelion boosts immune function and fights off microbes and fungi.

Dandelion leaves, flowers, and roots are all edible. They have a slightly bitter flavor that can be minimized by harvesting them in the fall or spring. Cooking cuts the bitter flavor as well though the leaves make a great addition to raw salads.

Dandelion is generally considered safe in food and medicinal levels. Some people may have allergic reactions to dandelion. Anyone with an allergy to ragweed, chrysanthemum, marigold, chamomile, yarrow, or daisy should avoid dandelion and anyone pregnant, nursing, or taking prescription drugs should talk to a health care professional before adding something new to their diet.

Learn more about Charlie Pulsipher

Charlie Pulsipher

About Charlie Pulsipher

Charlie Pulsipher is a health and fitness enthusiast, writer, author, and neighborhood do-gooder. He shifted his education from Biochemistry to English Literature in an attempt to avoid math, but never stopped loving the natural world of the miniscule. He has published several fantasy and science fiction novels and helped others publish more down to earth books about natural foods. He can’t stop writing. He is probably happily tapping away on some keyboard even now.

153 Responses to “11 Health Benefits of Dandelion and Dandelion Root”

1. jay says:

Can you take dandelion root supplements and licorice root. At the same time ??

2. Meaghan says:

Hi! I’m 34 weeks pregnant and two weeks ago started with an incredibly itchy rash on my belly. Turns out I have PUPPP which begins there and then spreads over your whole body. Some people get it so terribly bad, I’m so scared it’s going to spread! Doctors say there is no cure and it usually clears up a few weeks after delivery. I researched online and discovered Dandelion Root works for many people in curing it. My doctor looked at me like I was crazy and handed me a prescription of Hydrocortizone. Lol. Not surprised ;). I just bought some roasted dandelion root tea. I plan to drink it three times a day. My question is roasted versus not roasted. Is there less benefit to roasted? Also, most say they used capsules…I don’t swallow pills well, so I’d prefer tea. Is that just as strong?

Also, is dandelion root tea safe for children? My daughter is 2.5 and is asking for some :)

Thank you so much! Can’t wait to show the doctors my cured belly next time I see them! ;)

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Roasted usually has a more pleasant flavor, but it won’t drastically affect how well it works as far as I know. How is it working for you, Meaghan? It is safe for children as long as you treat it like a food and not a medicine. Let her try a little and see if she likes it and then let her have a little on occasion, but not too often. Dandelion may cause her to wet the bed more often and hamper potty training if you let her have too much. Good luck with everything.

• Meaghan says:

Thanks so much for replying! Drinking a cup of roasted three times a day. So far no change, but I’ve read that it takes a bit to work. I’ll be sure to update you in a week or two :)

• Shanan says:

I hope that it helps you. I have heard of your condition and it must be miserable and with 4-6 weeks left they would be the longest. I’ve been drinking dandelion for a week now just for my edema flare up and it’s pretty much knocked it on the head. I drink roasted dandelion and chicory instead of coffee, I am even so bold as to put cream in it and the cafe next door makes my mocha with it instead of coffee for me. Dandelion seems like an incredibly useful herb! Best wishes!

3. Laverne says:

can the dandelion tea bags be applied to the breast topically and still have the same effects?

4. we eat a lot of dandelion with hot dressing on it. I also drink the tea just about every day. we use it in salads also I get a lot and we clean it and cut it up and put in freezer bags and freeze it. we just had some of it today.

willard

5. Deb says:

What is the effect of the dandelion plant on an elevated PSA and what effect does it have on prostate cancer?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

As far as I know, Deb, dandelion is very beneficial for prostate health and PSA levels. There are many sites out there claiming dandelion might cure prostate cancer. I don’t think I buy those, but I do think it could help. Work with your doctor as you or your loved one starts a new food or supplement and good luck to you.

6. Pam says:

My dog had a cancerous mass removed and a friend advised giving him dandelion root. Is there a difference between giving him a pill or the actual plant ground up

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

There isn’t a huge difference between the two. If you use an actual plant, you will want to make sure it is not sprayed with pesticides. You can mix it into your dog’s food, about a teaspoon per 20 pounds of your dog’s weight. You can also make a dandelion tea and let your dog drink it in place of water once it has cooled. About 1/3 cup per 20 pounds weight in the case of tea. Work with your vet to make sure your dog’s liver is working well and also make sure your dog has easy access to the outdoors. Dandelion is a diuretic and he or she will have to go to the bathroom more frequently. Good luck and I hope your little one feels better soon.

7. svetlana says:

I wanted to know if dandelion tea will help you get rid of fatty liver. Thanx

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Dandelion tea will certainly help support liver function, but it won’t do much for a fatty liver all on its own. Eating well and exercising will have to be a part of this as well. Good luck, Svetlana.

8. Bassey says:

Hello Charlie, please I ordered for a dandelion tea bag because of my experience with constipation which makes me visit the loo only trice a week. I also drink a lot of water but when I have the urge to pass stool, it is slow in coming out, and i will need to take between 1ltr to 1.5ltr of water while in the loo for the stool to be moved (In fact I drink max of 9ltrs of water per day – 3ltrs each for morning, afternoon, and evening)… I have read a lot about side effects of conventional drugs, so I have completely avoided that root, but I want to use dieting and herbs to eliminate the constipation, which has lasted for over six months. But you mentioned that Dandelion is not good for intestinal conditions… Please can you expatiate? I tried eating carrots, apples, but these two got my feces impacted and I had to eliminate them, including rice, potatoes, meat, chicken, milk, chocolate, refined sugar – I neither drink (in fact, I have never drank) alcohol nor smoke.

For the past one month I have been eating a lot of black eyed beans with Quaker Oats with natural honey, cooking pumpkin leave and spinach with fish (Mackerel), for fruits, I squeeze lime and oranges and drink with the bit. Although the above diets helped soften my stool a bit, I noticed I still had to stimulate myself to pass stool with water… Could it be the Oats still causing the constipation? Can you please point out which of the above diets could still be causing the constipation… Please suggest herbal remedies (preferably a tea that can act as a stool softener and a cleanser of my bowels) that I can get in the U.K. South East coast that have no side effect… I am currently studying in the UK, although I am permanently based in Nigeria. Thanks!

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Sounds like a real conundrum, Bassey. I’d suggest you work with a doctor to make sure you don’t have any underlying illness that is contributing to your constipation and dehydration problems. I can offer some suggestions that may help though. Fiber is great, but sometimes too much can contribute to problems as you’ve found out. I’m a fan of softer, soluble fiber. Chia seeds are one of the best sources of that. They absorb a ton of water to keep your intestines well hydrated. Green tea, prune juice, aloe vera juice, fenugreek, and fennel all may help as well. Fenugreek and fennel can be used whole as additions to your food or as tea. You can chew on fennel seeds after a meal to help digestion and freshen breath. There are many teas on the market that are just to help soften stools and stimulate a normal bowel movement without side effects. Smooth Move is one that relies on senna. I often make my own tea for digestion with turmeric, fennel, ginger, and cinnamon. Good luck!

9. hendy says:

I have stage 4 kidney disease will dandelion help or is it safe to use.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Supplements become tricky once you reach this level of illness, hendy. You will really want to talk to your doctor and make sure your potassium levels, and other electrolytes, are balanced while using dandelion. There are very few side effects, but it’s still a good idea to be safe. Good luck!

10. CAN THE DANDELION SEEDS AND ROOTS BE BOUGHT IN THE HEALTH FOOD STORE?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Gleta, dandelion leaves and roots can often be found in health food stores. If you can’t find them in the produce section, they usually have pills, tinctures, teas, and other forms of them elsewhere in the store.

11. Sue says:

The recommended dose is 3 capsules daily….I wanted to start with one to see hoe it will wor. Will I still get the benefits of daddelion root?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

That’s how I start out any new supplement, Sue. You’ll still be getting some benefits while you see how you like them. :)

12. Jim says:

When I was a teenager I busted the inside of my mouth playing football at a neighbors. I had braces and my inner gums where badly cut up. His Mom gave me a small paper cup of home made Dandelion wine and had me swish it around in my mouth and spit it out. My gums stopped bleeding and most of the pain went away. I have since tried to make my own but never figured out how. But the result was nothing short of amazing.

13. Salam says:

I have just tested positive for Hepatitis B, after a test my liver seems fine for now. i need a natural herb cure for it, is there any way i could prevent the virus for attacking my liver? dandelion i hear is very good,is there additional plant that i can put together to get rid of the virus.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You’ll want to work closely with your doctor as you try natural treatments, Salam. Drink plenty of water and eat fresh, watery fruits as your hydration is important. Ginger helps protect the liver and reduces some of the nausea you will feel. Dandelion and milk thistle are both good for the liver. Turmeric is related to ginger and has some of the same benefits. Coconut oil is a natural anti-viral that may help keep the virus from damaging your liver. Good luck, Salam!

14. Kay Rosen says:

Does roasted dandelion root have the same health benefit (eg for liver cleansing) as does the raw unroasted root?
    Many thanks
    Kay

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Yes, Kay. There might be some denaturing of proteins, but there should still be plenty of the same benefits left in the roasted roots.

15. caswell says:

What the effect on people with intestinal issues

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Dandelion can increase acid and bile production. This isn’t the best thing for those suffering from ulcers or bowel obstruction. You need to use some caution when adding new foods to your diet, especially with medical conditions.

16. lucy usenza says:

My Italian family has been eating dandelions for many generations, my grandparents say that danelions got them through the depression!! I am into juicing and harvest some everyday to juice I love them

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

My grandparents harvested them during the depression too, Lucy! They really are practically free food most of us ignore. Thank you!

17. Alan says:

Charlie, I have a liver cyst. I’m meeting with my GI to discuss results next week. I bought dandelion root pills & radish leaves. Are these safe to take to reduce bloating & stomach discomfort? Can you suggest anything else?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You’ll want to work closely with your doctor as you try new foods. Dandelion, milk thistle, and turmeric are three that I would try in your shoes. I’d also point you toward this article http://www.sunwarrior.com/news/liver-cleansing-foods/ for a few more foods to try. Ginger could help with some of the pain, discomfort, and bloating too. I wish you luck, Alan.

18. Pooja Naik says:

Ohh..amazing article.. (Y)
    I have been searching for a=some more articles…and found some of them very interesting…i would like to share those articles with you.. :)

Hope you find them interesting.. :)

19. Dawn says:

Which is best for fat burn? Milk thistle or dandelion? Can they both be taken? I have to take a lot of med.and I take pains and have inflammation?I also have high cholesterol.
    Thanks Dawn

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Neither one of these really burns fat, Dawn. They can help with weight loss as they aid detox and toxins contribute to fat storage. They are low calorie and also help digestion of fats and carbohydrates, so they can help keep weight off. They improve liver function which can help with cholesterol. I believe milk thistle has more evidence related to weight loss, but you certainly can use both. Work with your doctor to find the best fits for you. Good luck!

20. Kristin says:

I haven’t found anything online talking about differences between drinking dandelion root tea and taking a supplement. Is one better than the other? I do have dandelion root tea. It smells good, like roasted sunflower seeds, but it tastes like garbage. I was wondering if the supplement would work just as well, or even better or worse? Thanks so much!

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I like the flavor of the tea, but you can definitely take the supplement if you don’t like the taste. I make my tea out of the leaves though, not the root. I use the root in soups instead.

21. Kris says:

Hi Charlie,

Thank you so much for writing this up. I came across your article as a Facebook friend displayed it.
    I have a few herniated discs, and will get sciatic nerve pain as well as pain in my feet caused from the herniated discs. I also have arthritis in my knees and will be undergoing surgery for bilateral knee replacements this year. I do have some arthritis in my hands and feet as well. If I take anti-inflammatory pills, they will make me swell worse, so apparently I am allergic to them, which is too bad because they would help my arthritis pains.
    This all amounts to varieties of aches and pains. I have pain medication, but am not too happy about the side effects. I remember coming across an article that talked about Nettle tea helping
    some types of pain, but it did not give any type of instructions on how to make it, such as how much to use, how to prepare it, etc. I plan to try dandelions ASAP, hoping that since they are natural, I will be able tolerate them, and they won’t make the swelling from my arthritis worse.
    Could you provide instruction on how much to use of the dandelions, and which parts – the leaves or the flowers, and also; how many nettle leaves I should include if I were to try to make a tea, or to grind them up in my coffee grinder (do I need to roast them for awhile first, to dry them out completely? I’m guessing so). Please provide step by step, from the time I harvest them from my land until I’m drinking them. Thanks a lot!

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Nettle is roughly 1 cup leaves to 2 cups water. You don’t need to pack down the leaves either. You really don’t have to measure. You can make the tea stronger by steeping it longer, even if you only have a few leaves. Be careful harvesting nettle. You do not want to touch it until it is cooked. You can also eat them once they’ve cooked long enough. You can make tea with dandelion leaves or flowers or both the same way. I use mainly leaves, probably about a half cup to 2 cups water. No need to roast anything unless you want to make dandelion coffee. Then you roast the root. For pain relief, I also suggest you look into ginger, turmeric, and coconut oil. Good luck, Kris!

22. Tommy says:

I heard that dandelion is good for your sex drive. Or even Viagra is this true

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

It could be, Tommy. Anything that improves heart function and circulation could help improve sex drive.

23. amparo says:

I have been taking dandelion tea for a while and I know it is good for me… When you understand, respect and follow your knowledge and guidance about nature you cannot go wrong…I grew up in the countryside in Spain…I used to know which herbs and grass to eat…I was little and I lost that knowledge with time but I used to pick them up from the hills and eat them raw…They had a bitter/crispy taste and I loved eating them. I also used to eat the stems of roses…They are really of great taste and very nourishing…Thanks for this site Charlie which I just happened to see today when I searched for more information of the benefits of the dandelion so that I could send the link to a friend that needs help with the liver, kidneys and other ailments…God bless you and your efforts in helping others…

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you so much, amparo! I love eating fresh “weeds” like dandelion, purslane, clover, and more.

24. amanda says:

Can you consume dandelion capsules. If you nolonger have a gallbladder?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Yes, Amanda. The gallbladder concentrates and controls the release of bile during digestion. Once it is removed, you get a continuous flow of less concentrated bile. Dandelion stimulates a release of more bile from the liver, so it is a good thing to add to your meals, especially meals that contain more fat, so this digested properly. Dandelion also continues to have benefit for your kidneys and liver.

25. Denise says:

My doctors wants to prescibe Lasik to reduce fluid and lower my BP. I read all of the side effects and want to find an alternative. I will have to intake more potassium and get my electrolytes checked in a few weeks. I vote no and want to try the dandilion tea or suppliment. Should I start out one cup a day, early in the day? Or one capsule early in the day?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You will want to work closely with your doctor as you work on naturally reducing your blood pressure, Denise. I would start out with one cup of tea each morning and find one of the free blood pressure machines in your area to check daily. They aren’t as accurate, but they can still give you trends. Some pharmacies or grocery stores have them. You can add capsules if you don’t see much of a trend down or drink a second cup in the evening. You will also want to walk briskly for 10 to 30 minutes a day. You can also try breathing exercises in the morning and night, meditation, or yoga. Coenzyme Q10 can help. Potassium rich foods like sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and bananas may help too. Watch your sodium intake. Eat one square of dark chocolate a day. And avoid caffeine and stress. These are just some ideas, but your doctor will have more. Good luck to you!

26. Sydney Martinez says:

I love me some dandelion soup YUMMYYYYY!!!

27. natalie says:

How can you use it topically. For yeast on the skin, typically infections. I would love to start a regimen drinking tea. I take Oil of Oregano drops that have helped with STAF infections. I’m looking for other alternatives.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You could use cooled dandelion tea topically. Coconut oil and tea tree oil can also be used topically to help with many fungal infections.

28. Tammy Davis says:

My Grandmother born 1903 ,fed us children dandelion greens salads approximately 14 times a week….we were healthy and she lived to 100 lived alone, cooked and cleaned until her dieting day….there is truth to it and I still eat it today and LOVE it!!!

29. Winnie says:

Hi,

I have low blood pressure, is it ok to drink dandelion tea?

Winnie

30. Karen says:

Hi there! Thank you for this wonderful info! Going to give dandelion a try. I’m wondering, do you use the stem at all? Other than salad and teas, I’m probably going to juice them, and wondering if I should throw the whole plant in after giving it a good wash.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

The stem is a little bitter, Karen, but you can still use it. I tend to use just the leaves and flowers myself, but the entire plant is edible.

31. Jangali says:

May be for the past 30 years or so, I relish dandelion 3-4 times in spring. Leaves are boiled and then fried with tomato and garlic, pepper and salt. Now I just watered my garden and will collect the last harvest tomorrow. But this time I will not boil it and will straight away fry it as usual.

32. Can hepatitis be cured with dandelion

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I’m not sure if it can cure it all on its own, Francis. It should help with some of the symptoms, but you really should be working with a doctor too.

33. Amoako Ogyampah says:

Hi, am suffering with gonorrhea, would taken this as tea help? Am a boy of 22 years.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Gonorrhea may be helped to some degree by many natural remedies, such as dandelion, but it rarely clears up with natural remedies alone. You should talk to a doctor.

34. Emily says:

I had to get lithotripsy to explode my kidney stone and still had some pain from the procedure. When I drank dandelion root tea, almost all of the pain completely went away! I definitely would recommend it to those who have had kidney stones and/or urinary tract problems. I also didn’t mind the taste.

35. Karen says:

Hi, I live in New Zealand and we have three types of dandelion, the thin leafy, the thick leaf, and tall kinda prickly that has the white milky stuff type with small flowers etc, so i know the thin leafy type is ok to eat what about the other two?

Cheers
    Karen

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

As far as I know, Karen, all types of dandelion are edible, but there may be some differences in flavor and bitterness. I would stick to the common dandelion more with the thin leaf as I know these are delicious. There are also some false dandelions that won’t provide the same benefits, but most of these are edible as well.

36. Kat says:

I just started eating dandelion last spring. I cook it like spinach, with a bit of garlic, and then scramble an egg into it and eat it for breakfast or lunch. It gives me so much energy and makes me feel so alert and good. I thought maybe the effect was just coincidence the first time, but noticed it again and again. I haven’t tried the dandelion tea or coffee yet but will try it this year. My friend’s grandma used to make pancakes with the flowers and I remember they were really good.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Sounds delicious, Kat. I know dandelion flowers make an excellent syrup, but I’ve never tried them in pancakes. I will have to experiment. Thank you!

• adeyinka says:

Pls, where can I buy dandelium?. Will it be in the vegetable section in grocery stores (in Houston)?.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You can usually find dandelion in health food stores, but not regular grocery stores as of yet. Try farmers’ markets too. Good luck!

• Magdalena says:

In the south, two grocery stores Publix and Fresh Market sell organic dandelions.
          Expect to pay $3.00 for a nice bunch.

37. Phyllis says:

I just went out and dug up some dandelion and made myself a salad. I really have no health problem except for diabetes II, as if that’s not enough. I plan on cooking the roots. Stay tuned. I’m hoping it will somehow lower my glucose level.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Sounds like a delicious salad, Phyllis! Let us know how the roots turn out. You may want to look at adding more cinnamon to your diet as well.

38. Tony D. says:

Hi Charlie,

Will it be healthy if I will alternate the dandelion tea with the nettle leaf tea?

39. Grace says:

Hi my daughter is suffering with excema on her arms. Would taking this as a capsule help? Shes 13 so wont drink the teas!! Or could you suggest something else? Im sick of buying cream after cream. Thanks
    Grace
    Ireland

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You can definitely use it as a capsule, Grace! I’d also give coconut oil a try externally. I’ve seen many people have success with it. Good luck to you and your daughter.

40. Alice Matsane says:

Hi. I have gallbladder stones. Is it safe to use Dandelion on daily basis?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

As long as you are sticking to the doses found in food, dandelion is considered safe daily, Alice, but you may want to talk to your doctor and let him or her know what you are trying. Good luck!

41. Christine Silvester says:

Hi I have just started to drink Dandelion tea. I have just found out , my gall bladder is full of stones. They won’t take my gall bladder out until u have another attic .

42. isaac says:

is it good for a person having hepatitis to blend dandelion leaves to drink?and is there any other leave attach to it?which leaves

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You should always consult your health care professional, but I see no reason why not, Isaac. It is a food, like lettuce or spinach, and it has some good cleansing properties.

43. isaac says:

is it good for me to blend dandelion leaves and drink if there is hepatitis and how should i use it. is it any other herb attach to it

44. Fiona Botella says:

Hi, is Dandelion tea ok to drink at night before bed, thanks, Fiona

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You will want to drink it at least a couple hours before bed, Fiona. It is a natural cleanser, so you may feel the urge to use the bathroom shortly after you use it. In French, this herb is called pissenlit which translates to more or less “wet the bed”. It is great for detox, but probably not right around bed time. Stick to chamomile and other relaxing teas just before sleep.

• I just had to tell you that the word ”pissenlit” I haven’t heard in years !! I am French, but never speak it much anymore…but that is interesting. I also love reading about the goods of dandelions..Thanks

45. barry says:

diabetes II htn high cholesterol. my diet habits need work

46. barry says:

making my own double a size capsules of ground roastet root. was taking 4 a day but found that using a coffee grinder allows me to fit the same amount into 2 caps. i also take 2caps of cinnamon and 4 caps of turmeric plus 1-2 hits of high cbd mj in the evening. my goal is to get off of my “co-pays” all together. i like that i can harvest dandilion in my yard. no pesticides.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you, Barry. I use a coffee grinder for my herbs and spices too. I love the fresh ground flavor of things like cumin, celery seed, pepper, mustard, and more.

47. Ivan says:

Comprehensive information on benefits. But of which part of dandelion you make the tea? And how is the root consumed, apart from making coffee?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Good question, Ivan. You can make tea from any part. The flower tea is very refreshing, especially chilled and lightly sweetened. I’m a fan of the leaf tea mostly. The dandelion coffee is still technically a tea too and you can make it without roasting them first. The roots can also be eaten like other root vegetables. You can boil them or saute them pretty well after you clean and peel them. The greens are much more easy to use in recipes though. I like them in salads and soups.

• Elaine says:

So the yellow flower you can brew for tea ? I bought tea bags. I have been enjoying it with lemon juice and concentrated cranberry juice and drinking it cold. Love it. I thought maybe the dandelion drink shouldn’t be taken all the time. I just might quit drinking coffee then :)

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Most definitely, Elaine! The flower makes a great tea. Sometimes I will combine the flower and leaves. I like the combination of lemon and cranberry you have going on. Sounds delicious.

48. Tanja says:

I can tell you that I got rid off of my malign mole on my shoulder.And it took only few days to see
    the benefits…after a month it was gone.
    And if I think that my dermatologist was almost in panic saying me that it has to be operated ASAP!
    I was afraid because I’ve heard some bad news about those that have their moles taken away by surgery. So glad now I listened to my instinct and not my dermatologist.
    I drink the tea regularly…making some intervals and drink the green tea.

49. Summer says:

So what is the best option…tablets before each meal or teas? I have heard and read good things about it. With my various conditions, my family doctor believes this could help. Thanks.

Summer

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I’m a fan of the tea myself, but you can use capsules for convenience sake, Summer. I hope it works well for you.

50. Billy says:

We eat this stuff all the time (twice weekly) as it is a very popular Greek dish. Boiled, drizzle a bit of olive oil and lemon juice can be eaten hot or cold. The best thing about it is we just pick it from our lawn .

51. Emmanuel says:

I always take dandelion everyday

52. beebe bell says:

Dandelion tea smells like carmel but tastes quite bland lol but im into teas so i dpnt mind. My fav is Echinacea, it tastes like spinanch to me and i love it.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I do love that smell and admit I am a little disappointed when the flavor doesn’t match it, but it’s so good for me that I get over it fast. :) Thank you, beebe!

53. Ben says:

I have been using dandelion for about a week. I am a coffee junkie and wanted to try dandelion coffee.
    I went for a walk along a river and pulled some nice ones, took them home, cleaned them and made salad with the leaves. The roots were chopped very small and placed on a baking tray and broiled to a
    nice dark color, ground in a coffee grinder and used in place of coffee. I am very impressed with the taste and I know my liver is happy that I, for the most part stopped coffee. The amazing thing to me was that a week earlier I could not walk around the block without severe hip pain. My hip has been bad
    for months. Yesterday, looking for some healthy size plants I walked 4.8 miles with zero hip pain. It
    has to be the anti-inflamatory properties in the dandelion. WOW!

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you, Ben, for sharing how well dandelion is working for you. I’m glad to hear it.

• Susan says:

So, if I have dandelion growing in my yard and flower beds, and I don’t use any chemicals, I can use all of the parts of it, as Ben was doing? I would love to try roasting the root for a coffee type drink. And can I use the leaves then for juicing?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Yes, Susan, to all of that. I grow them in my flower beds. You may need a masticating juicer to get anything out of the leaves, but I see nothing wrong with juicing them. Enjoy!

• Donna says:

HI, Question…I found a plant growing along side of the road in front of a subdivision that is sprayed, Now with that said, it seemed to not be affected by the spray. I pulled it up & brought it home & planted it. It is growing very nicely. Now, can I eat the new growth? That has not been sprayed…treating breast cancer naturally…thanks

• Sue says:

Donna please do not use a plant that has been sprayed as there will still be residual pesticide. Although I guess the capsules you buy at the store would be tainted also. I would suggest letting it go to seed and then replanting. cancer is a fungus, and can be treated with a wide variety of natural antifungals. Oil of oregano, dandelion, cat’s claw, black seed, garlic, cinnamon, boswellia, goldenseal, peppermint, turmeric, wormwood, green black walnut hull hulls, cloves, neem, pau d’arco are ones that I personally use. But these must be used on a rotation. I now rotate a different herb out each day. The longest you should use 1 herb continuously is 3 days max. Otherwise, the fungal organism will build up resistance to it and it will then become ineffective. Best of luck to you!

• Cynthia roberts says:

I too am a coffee junkie. Drinking 6-12 cups per day. As much as I love coffee, I want to give it a break an drink my dandelion tea. I am pleasantly surprised with the bitter nutty flavor and aroma it has.

54. marj says:

I hav been taking dandelion root for aching burning legs ..only been taking it for a week & they feel loads better !!

55. Edwin says:

About 9 months ago i started to include dandelion leaves & flowers; moringa leaves; scent leaves in my salad, eateo every other day.
    Are there any health hazards with such combination?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

All of these are considered safe in the portions found in food, like you are doing, Edwin. If you’d had any allergies or reactions, you probably would have noticed by now. Sounds like a delicious salad to me!

56. hyip says:

Is dandelion good to restore liver functions for heavy drinkers? Please tell me so, I know my friends can benefit from this!

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Dandelion strengthens and cleanses the liver, but it is a good idea for your friend to seek out a health care professional. Heavy drinking can cause some serious harm. Your friend should also be looking at cutting back or quitting at the same time. Dandelion isn’t going to counteract heavy drinking alone.

57. Ezra says:

I have been using the tea and it seems to be quite good.

58. Em says:

Can you still take it if you have no gallbladder?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

As far as I know, Em, yes you can take it without a gallbladder. It improves liver function, which is a good idea if you have had your gallbladder removed. But, having said that, you still should consult a health care professional before changing up your diet.

59. Carol says:

How much can you eat in one setting? Can it be consumed and a daily basis?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

There is no exact limit, overdose amount, or any harmful effects known from daily use, but you should always eat anything in moderation. A few leaves a day or a cup of tea a day isn’t a bad thing to add to your diet, as long as you don’t have any gallbladder or intestinal problems. Stay hydrated too. Though it is always a good idea to consult your healthcare professional before drastically changing the things you eat.

• Bonnie says:

So are you saying you shouldn’t take if you have gall stones?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

If you have gallstones, Bonnie, then you can probably still use dandelion, but you need to be more careful, talk to your doctor, and go easy with it while you see how your body will react. Dandelion can be part of a gallstone purge, but the irritation of the stones can also cause inflammation, infection, and other problems.

60. Aurora Williams says:

I am huge fan of Dandelion Root tea. Upon researching the benefits of drinking Dandelion Root tea, I started incorporating the tea in my daily food plan. I encourage others to consider making Dandelion Root tea part of their day as well.

61. Maureen says:

What is the lengh of time you can take dandelion capsules/tea for. Is it days, weeks months. Can this be dangerous if taken over a long period of time?
    Maureen.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

There is no set amount of time, Maureen. Dandelion root is a mild diuretic, so you do have to make sure you stay hydrated, but long term use is considered safe as long as you do not have gallbladder or intestinal disorders.

• Sally Ann says:

i have gallstones, and i just bought some dandelion capsules as well as milk thistle capsules, why is the dandelion capsules not good if one has gallstones?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Both those can help clear up gallstones, Sally. I caution people to be careful though since the process of clearing up the gallstones can be painful and the irritation caused by dandelion can lead to infection and further problems. Start small, see how you feel, and keep your doctor informed.

62. victoria says:

its helpful to stop my cough

63. Dominic Essiaw says:

I am convised that I can now take Dandelion very often and as advised to ensure a healthy and longer life.

64. lucky peiris says:

what is the herbal medicinal plant for a diabetic patient and a liver patient

65. Barkat Nida says:

Dandelion seems to be a longevity herb.It has a number of health benefits.
    The above article is a nice set of inspiring information.
    Barkat Nida