11 Health Benefits of Dandelion and Dandelion Root

Monday, April 15, 2013 @ 10:04 AM Charlie Pulsipher
11 Health Benefits of Dandelion and Dandelion Root 4.50/5 (90.07%) 143 votes

11_health_benefits_of_dandelion_and_dandelion_root_picDandelion is most often thought of as a pesky weed that takes over in lawns, gardens, meadows, and even pops up in cracked sidewalks and pavement. It is invasive and pervasive. Lucky for us, it is also an excellent food and herbal medicine that anyone can find, grow, and put to use.

Dandelion is a very rich source of beta-carotene which we convert into vitamin A. This flowering plant is also rich in vitamin C, fiber, potassium, iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, and phosphorus. It is a good place to get B complex vitamins, trace minerals, organic sodium, and even vitamin D. Dandelion contains protein too, more than spinach. It has been eaten for thousands of years and used to treat anemia, scurvy, skin problems, blood disorders, and depression.

Seeds grow readily in your garden, planter boxes, or pots. If you collect them wild, try to choose ones you know have not been subjected to pesticides, fertilizers, and other chemicals. The ones in your lawn are not the best. Pick them instead from a mountain meadow or abandoned lot. Seeds can be bought or you can gather them from the familiar puff balls you see each summer. Dandelion leaves can also be found fresh in some health food markets or as a freeze-dried herb. Dandelion tea, capsules, and tinctures are also available.

Digestive Aid – Dandelion acts as a mild laxative that promotes digestion, stimulates appetite, and balances the natural and beneficial bacteria in the intestines.

Kidney – This weed-like superfood is a diuretic that helps the kidneys clear out waste, salt, and excess water. This inhibits microbial growth in the urinary system too.

Liver – Dandelion has been shown to improve liver function by removing toxins and reestablishing hydration and electrolyte balance.

Antioxidants – Every part of the dandelion plant is rich in antioxidants that prevent free-radical damage to cells and DNA, slowing down the aging process in our cells.

health_benefits_of_flowers_imageCancer – Dandelion acts against cancer to slow its growth and prevent its spread. The leaves are especially rich in the antioxidants and phytonutrients that combat cancer.

Diabetes – Recent animal studies show promise that dandelion helps regulate blood sugar and insulin levels.

High Blood Pressure – As a diuretic dandelion increases urination which then lowers blood pressure. The fiber and potassium in dandelion also regulate blood pressure.

Cholesterol – Animal studies have shown that dandelion lowers and control cholesterol levels.

Gallbladder – Dandelion increases bile production and reduces inflammation to help with gallbladder problems and blockages.

Inflammation – Dandelion contains essential fatty acids and phytonutrients that reduce inflammation throughout the body. This can relieve pain and swelling.

Immune System – Animal studies also show that dandelion boosts immune function and fights off microbes and fungi.

Dandelion leaves, flowers, and roots are all edible. They have a slightly bitter flavor that can be minimized by harvesting them in the fall or spring. Cooking cuts the bitter flavor as well though the leaves make a great addition to raw salads.

Dandelion is generally considered safe in food and medicinal levels. Some people may have allergic reactions to dandelion. Anyone with an allergy to ragweed, chrysanthemum, marigold, chamomile, yarrow, or daisy should avoid dandelion and anyone pregnant, nursing, or taking prescription drugs should talk to a health care professional before adding something new to their diet.

Learn more about Charlie Pulsipher

Charlie Pulsipher

About Charlie Pulsipher

Charlie Pulsipher is a health and fitness enthusiast, writer, author, and neighborhood do-gooder. He shifted his education from Biochemistry to English Literature in an attempt to avoid math, but never stopped loving the natural world of the miniscule. He has published several fantasy and science fiction novels and helped others publish more down to earth books about natural foods. He can’t stop writing. He is probably happily tapping away on some keyboard even now.

60 Responses to “11 Health Benefits of Dandelion and Dandelion Root”

1. Barkat Nida says:

Dandelion seems to be a longevity herb.It has a number of health benefits.
    The above article is a nice set of inspiring information.
    Barkat Nida

2. lucky peiris says:

what is the herbal medicinal plant for a diabetic patient and a liver patient

3. Dominic Essiaw says:

I am convised that I can now take Dandelion very often and as advised to ensure a healthy and longer life.

4. victoria says:

its helpful to stop my cough

5. Maureen says:

What is the lengh of time you can take dandelion capsules/tea for. Is it days, weeks months. Can this be dangerous if taken over a long period of time?
    Maureen.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

There is no set amount of time, Maureen. Dandelion root is a mild diuretic, so you do have to make sure you stay hydrated, but long term use is considered safe as long as you do not have gallbladder or intestinal disorders.

6. Aurora Williams says:

I am huge fan of Dandelion Root tea. Upon researching the benefits of drinking Dandelion Root tea, I started incorporating the tea in my daily food plan. I encourage others to consider making Dandelion Root tea part of their day as well.

7. Carol says:

How much can you eat in one setting? Can it be consumed and a daily basis?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

There is no exact limit, overdose amount, or any harmful effects known from daily use, but you should always eat anything in moderation. A few leaves a day or a cup of tea a day isn’t a bad thing to add to your diet, as long as you don’t have any gallbladder or intestinal problems. Stay hydrated too. Though it is always a good idea to consult your healthcare professional before drastically changing the things you eat.

• Bonnie says:

So are you saying you shouldn’t take if you have gall stones?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

If you have gallstones, Bonnie, then you can probably still use dandelion, but you need to be more careful, talk to your doctor, and go easy with it while you see how your body will react. Dandelion can be part of a gallstone purge, but the irritation of the stones can also cause inflammation, infection, and other problems.

8. Em says:

Can you still take it if you have no gallbladder?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

As far as I know, Em, yes you can take it without a gallbladder. It improves liver function, which is a good idea if you have had your gallbladder removed. But, having said that, you still should consult a health care professional before changing up your diet.

9. Ezra says:

I have been using the tea and it seems to be quite good.

10. hyip says:

Is dandelion good to restore liver functions for heavy drinkers? Please tell me so, I know my friends can benefit from this!

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Dandelion strengthens and cleanses the liver, but it is a good idea for your friend to seek out a health care professional. Heavy drinking can cause some serious harm. Your friend should also be looking at cutting back or quitting at the same time. Dandelion isn’t going to counteract heavy drinking alone.

11. Edwin says:

About 9 months ago i started to include dandelion leaves & flowers; moringa leaves; scent leaves in my salad, eateo every other day.
    Are there any health hazards with such combination?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

All of these are considered safe in the portions found in food, like you are doing, Edwin. If you’d had any allergies or reactions, you probably would have noticed by now. Sounds like a delicious salad to me!

12. marj says:

I hav been taking dandelion root for aching burning legs ..only been taking it for a week & they feel loads better !!

13. Ben says:

I have been using dandelion for about a week. I am a coffee junkie and wanted to try dandelion coffee.
    I went for a walk along a river and pulled some nice ones, took them home, cleaned them and made salad with the leaves. The roots were chopped very small and placed on a baking tray and broiled to a
    nice dark color, ground in a coffee grinder and used in place of coffee. I am very impressed with the taste and I know my liver is happy that I, for the most part stopped coffee. The amazing thing to me was that a week earlier I could not walk around the block without severe hip pain. My hip has been bad
    for months. Yesterday, looking for some healthy size plants I walked 4.8 miles with zero hip pain. It
    has to be the anti-inflamatory properties in the dandelion. WOW!

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you, Ben, for sharing how well dandelion is working for you. I’m glad to hear it.

• Susan says:

So, if I have dandelion growing in my yard and flower beds, and I don’t use any chemicals, I can use all of the parts of it, as Ben was doing? I would love to try roasting the root for a coffee type drink. And can I use the leaves then for juicing?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Yes, Susan, to all of that. I grow them in my flower beds. You may need a masticating juicer to get anything out of the leaves, but I see nothing wrong with juicing them. Enjoy!

• Cynthia roberts says:

I too am a coffee junkie. Drinking 6-12 cups per day. As much as I love coffee, I want to give it a break an drink my dandelion tea. I am pleasantly surprised with the bitter nutty flavor and aroma it has.

14. beebe bell says:

Dandelion tea smells like carmel but tastes quite bland lol but im into teas so i dpnt mind. My fav is Echinacea, it tastes like spinanch to me and i love it.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I do love that smell and admit I am a little disappointed when the flavor doesn’t match it, but it’s so good for me that I get over it fast. :) Thank you, beebe!

15. Emmanuel says:

I always take dandelion everyday

16. Billy says:

We eat this stuff all the time (twice weekly) as it is a very popular Greek dish. Boiled, drizzle a bit of olive oil and lemon juice can be eaten hot or cold. The best thing about it is we just pick it from our lawn .

17. Summer says:

So what is the best option…tablets before each meal or teas? I have heard and read good things about it. With my various conditions, my family doctor believes this could help. Thanks.

Summer

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I’m a fan of the tea myself, but you can use capsules for convenience sake, Summer. I hope it works well for you.

18. Tanja says:

I can tell you that I got rid off of my malign mole on my shoulder.And it took only few days to see
    the benefits…after a month it was gone.
    And if I think that my dermatologist was almost in panic saying me that it has to be operated ASAP!
    I was afraid because I’ve heard some bad news about those that have their moles taken away by surgery. So glad now I listened to my instinct and not my dermatologist.
    I drink the tea regularly…making some intervals and drink the green tea.

19. Ivan says:

Comprehensive information on benefits. But of which part of dandelion you make the tea? And how is the root consumed, apart from making coffee?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Good question, Ivan. You can make tea from any part. The flower tea is very refreshing, especially chilled and lightly sweetened. I’m a fan of the leaf tea mostly. The dandelion coffee is still technically a tea too and you can make it without roasting them first. The roots can also be eaten like other root vegetables. You can boil them or saute them pretty well after you clean and peel them. The greens are much more easy to use in recipes though. I like them in salads and soups.

20. barry says:

making my own double a size capsules of ground roastet root. was taking 4 a day but found that using a coffee grinder allows me to fit the same amount into 2 caps. i also take 2caps of cinnamon and 4 caps of turmeric plus 1-2 hits of high cbd mj in the evening. my goal is to get off of my “co-pays” all together. i like that i can harvest dandilion in my yard. no pesticides.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you, Barry. I use a coffee grinder for my herbs and spices too. I love the fresh ground flavor of things like cumin, celery seed, pepper, mustard, and more.

21. barry says:

diabetes II htn high cholesterol. my diet habits need work

22. Fiona Botella says:

Hi, is Dandelion tea ok to drink at night before bed, thanks, Fiona

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You will want to drink it at least a couple hours before bed, Fiona. It is a natural cleanser, so you may feel the urge to use the bathroom shortly after you use it. In French, this herb is called pissenlit which translates to more or less “wet the bed”. It is great for detox, but probably not right around bed time. Stick to chamomile and other relaxing teas just before sleep.

23. isaac says:

is it good for a person having hepatitis to blend dandelion leaves to drink?and is there any other leave attach to it?which leaves

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You should always consult your health care professional, but I see no reason why not, Isaac. It is a food, like lettuce or spinach, and it has some good cleansing properties.

24. Christine Silvester says:

Hi I have just started to drink Dandelion tea. I have just found out , my gall bladder is full of stones. They won’t take my gall bladder out until u have another attic .

25. Alice Matsane says:

Hi. I have gallbladder stones. Is it safe to use Dandelion on daily basis?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

As long as you are sticking to the doses found in food, dandelion is considered safe daily, Alice, but you may want to talk to your doctor and let him or her know what you are trying. Good luck!

26. Grace says:

Hi my daughter is suffering with excema on her arms. Would taking this as a capsule help? Shes 13 so wont drink the teas!! Or could you suggest something else? Im sick of buying cream after cream. Thanks
    Grace
    Ireland

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You can definitely use it as a capsule, Grace! I’d also give coconut oil a try externally. I’ve seen many people have success with it. Good luck to you and your daughter.

27. Tony D. says:

Hi Charlie,

Will it be healthy if I will alternate the dandelion tea with the nettle leaf tea?