11 of the Best Coconut Oil Uses
We posted an article earlier that includes 50 uses for coconut oil, but we wanted to give you a concentrated list too that includes our favorites. Coconut oil contains some healthy unsaturated fats, but even the saturated fats found in this plant oil come in a healthy form. These medium chain triglycerides are easily put to use by the body, burned for energy, and not stored like other saturated fats.
Coconut oil boosts energy levels, raises good cholesterol, and balances out blood sugar without the weight gain, cholesterol, and other health risks that come from other saturated fats, especially animal fats. Coconut oil is also antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-parasitic, and antiviral. It keeps going though: coconut oil also aids in the absorption of vitamins and minerals, especially the fat soluble ones.
- Massage – Ease tired muscles and soothe skin at the same time with this pleasant smelling and warming oil. Add a couple drops of your favorite essential oil to enhance the experience.
- Acne – The antimicrobial effects of coconut oil gently kills the cause of acne and pimples, but coconut oil also helps almost any skin blemish, including warts, moles, age spots, and rashes.
- Stretch Marks – Diminish the appearance of these pesky marks that show up from pregnancy, weight gain, or weight loss by massaging this oil into them once a day.
- Moisturizer – Coconut oil hydrates and speeds healing for dry, cracked skin anywhere, from face to feet.
- Lip Balm – The moisturizing effects of this oil can extend anywhere. Want soft, supple lips? Use coconut oil as your lip balm or chapstick.
- Lubricant – Coconut oil makes the perfect, all-natural personal lubricant for all those special intimate moments.
- Toothpaste – Mix baking soda, coconut oil, and a drop or two of peppermint oil for the ultimate natural and whitening toothpaste.
- Energy – The medium chain triglycerides boost energy levels and increase stamina during workouts, runs, and more.
- Cleanser/Makeup Remover – Coconut oil gently removes makeup and the oily grime of the day while helping to kill unwanted bacteria in pores.
- Dandruff – Want to get rid of dandruff and condition at the same time? Rub coconut oil into your scalp and then rinse. It gets rid of flakes and itching while repairing, strengthening, and softening hair.
- Cooking – Coconut oil has a fairly high smoke point, but it also resists the formation of free radicals thanks to several antioxidant compounds. This makes it a great way to cook without butter or animal fats while still getting a rich flavor out of your grilled, sautéed, stir fried, broiled, and even baked foods.
Learn more about Charlie Pulsipher
About Charlie Pulsipher
Charlie Pulsipher is a health and fitness enthusiast, writer, author, and neighborhood do-gooder. He shifted his education from Biochemistry to English Literature in an attempt to avoid math, but never stopped loving the natural world of the miniscule. He has published several fantasy and science fiction novels and helped others publish more down to earth books about natural foods. He can’t stop writing. He is probably happily tapping away on some keyboard even now.