15 Health Benefits of Cardamom

Monday, May 20, 2013 @ 08:05 AM Charlie Pulsipher
15 Health Benefits of Cardamom 4.51/5 (90.20%) 508 votes

Cardamom is native to the evergreen forests of India. This spice is commonly used in Indian cuisine, but it has also made its way into Ayurvedic medicine as a treatment for mouth ulcers, digestive problems, and even depression. Some of the health benefits of this peppery, citrusy spice are now making their way into modern studies. It’s well worth adding cardamom to your food for the flavor alone, but these health benefits are also something to consider whenever you break out the spices.

1. 15_health_benefits_of_cardamom_imageDigestion – Cardamom is related to ginger and can be used in much the same way to counteract digestive problems. Use it to combat nausea, acidity, bloating, gas, heartburn, loss of appetite, constipation, and much more.
  2. Detoxify – This spice helps the body eliminate waste through the kidneys.
  3. Halitosis – In India they chew cardamom after meals or whenever they need to freshen their breath.
  4. Diuretic – Part of the reason cardamom is such a good detoxifier is thanks to the diuretic properties. It helps clean out the urinary tract, bladder, and kidneys, removing waste, salt, excess water, toxins, and combating infections too.
  5. Depression – The science behind the antidepressant qualities of cardamom hasn’t been studied yet, but Ayurvedic medicine swears by the tea as a means to fight depression.
  6. Oral Health – Apart from helping with bad breath, cardamom is used for mouth ulcers and infections of the mouth and throat.
  7. Cold and Flu – This pungent spice may help prevent and relieve cold and flu symptoms. It’s also used for bronchitis and coughs.
  8. Cancer – Animal studies are showing promise that cardamom protects against, inhibits growth, and even kills some cancers.
  9. Blood Pressure – As a diuretic and fiber rich spice, cardamom significantly lowers blood pressure.
  10. Blood Clots – Cardamom prevents dangerous blood clots by preventing platelet aggregation and the sticking to the artery walls.
  11. Antioxidant – Many of the vitamins, phytonutrients, and essential oils in cardamom act as antioxidants, cleaning up free radicals and resisting cellular aging.
  12. Pathogens – The volatile essential oils in cardamom inhibit the growth of viruses, bacteria, fungus, and mold.
  13. Anti-inflammatory – Like ginger and turmeric, its relatives, cardamom has some anti-inflammatory properties that limit pain and swelling, especially in mucus membranes, the mouth, and throat.
  14. Hiccups – Cardamom is an anti-spasmodic that can help get rid of hiccups. This also applies to other involuntary muscle spasms, like stomach and intestinal cramps.
  15. Aphrodisiac – Traditional medicine lists cardamom as a powerful aphrodisiac that can help with erectile dysfunction and impotence.
Charlie Pulsipher

About Charlie Pulsipher

Charlie Pulsipher is a health and fitness enthusiast, writer, author, and neighborhood do-gooder. He shifted his education from Biochemistry to English Literature in an attempt to avoid math, but never stopped loving the natural world of the miniscule. He has published several fantasy and science fiction novels and helped others publish more down to earth books about natural foods. He can’t stop writing. He is probably happily tapping away on some keyboard even now.

Claims on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Information on this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Sunwarrior’s awesome expert writers do not replace doctors. Seek the advice of a medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or diet.

Sunwarrior likes to share. Please feel free to repost articles as long as you always link back to the original and credit the author.

159 Responses to “15 Health Benefits of Cardamom”

1. Cynthia says:

Dr. Oz just published that Cardamom is good for helping to eliminate belly fat. I’m just curious as to how ingesting cardamom will reduce belly fat. Any feedback?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Cardamom possibly could help, Cynthia. It improves digestion and has some thermogenic properties, meaning it increases metabolism a little. It’s probably not specifically belly fat, but fat in general, along with some exercise and better eating. Good luck!

2. Flemming says:

Could someone tell me how much one can eat in a day. I started including 10 seats or cardamom nuts in my breakfast serial each morning.

Flemming

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

There’s no overdose amount that I know of, Flemming. That’s a lot of cardamom, but not the most I’ve heard of someone using in a day. If you tolerate it well and enjoy it, then you are probably fine.

3. Alicia says:

A teaspoon of fennel and three pods of cardamom in 8oz of boiled water are great for digestion. Thanks for the information:)

4. paul says:

should the whole cardamom pod be consumed or just the seeds? are there any benefits in the skin?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You can use the pod. There is probably a little nutrition in the pod itself, but not much. You can use it or discard it as you like. I just grind the whole thing up in a coffee grinder, including the pod.

5. Frank Banks says:

This question for salwa. When the coffee and tea are changed from ‘acidic to alkaline’ by adding cardamom, how does that affect the medicinal benefits of those products?

Frank

6. LINGAREDDY says:

OMG!!!!!!!! U r great sir a lakh salute to you sir, even as i know, no one can Rply as u reaplyed, great as above the lines it’s true all the keeping hand on keyboard, HATS OFF “CHARLIE PULSIPHER” sir I used to smoke and whenever I getting back to home i used to eat cardamom bcz of not to get smell of my family members I doing it from last 2 years but I never know these kind of helpfull for eating it,,,, really I m happy, thank u, thank you once again, Mr,C HARLIE PULSIPHER…. great person, keep posting, I m big fan of you sir,

7. Awie says:

Is cardamom available in the philippines? And its okay too mix it with rice?

8. muneer pattillam says:

there is any side effect if i am using regularly (cardomon)

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

As long as you are using it in small amounts, like those found in food, then you should have no side effects. If you use more than that, then you should talk to a doctor.

9. Robbie says:

I have given up conventional toothpaste and now make my own simple version:-
    Bi-carbonate of soda and a drop of Cardamom Extract.
    Result:clean teeth and fresh breath.
    Chewing a green cardamom pod after a curry also refreshes the breath and helps reduce flatulence.

10. Dahiru says:

I really, have interest on it but I don’t know where to get it in my country Nigeria. can you help me please. looking forward to here from you. Thanks a lot…

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You should be able to find cardamom in the markets and stores of Nigeria, Dahiru. It is grown there, so I would suspect you can buy it there as well. It is related to, but not exactly the same as, alligator pepper (Mbongo Spice, Hepper Pepper, or Malegueta Pepper).

11. hasan says:

it is sometimes said that excessive quantties of cardamom leads to impotence. can u plz tell me how much quantity is too much.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Cardamom is actually used as a remedy for impotence in many countries. If you keep it to the amounts found in food, a teaspoon or two, you should have no problems, Hasan.

12. Elisia says:

I heard about ‘cardamom’ after visiting the health store. The owner or the sale person here in mph., tn., told me to put a small amount in water 15 or 30 minutes before eating. Can’ t remember was it for acid reflux or my friend cancer. We had talk about so many herbs use I didn’t know why he had written that information down. He gave it to me on my way out the door. So I went to the internet and here I am. I love that it brought me here. All the info I have found is a mental blessing. I have texted this site to family’s and friends. Love to share beneficial information. Keep up what you’re doing. Many are out there wanting to know healthy information. Thanks, GOD be with you and your staff.

13. kenny says:

I was googling the use of cardamom when I stumble upon your info .I found it very informative and useful.THANKS FOR SHARING

14. CJB says:

This sounds delicious and helpful. I have hypertension and would like to leave some of the drugs I have to take for it. What type of cardamom (green, black, Madagascar) do you recommend? Thanks so much!

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you so much, CJB. I’m a fan of green cardamom, but the other two have their charms too. You may also want to look at dandelion and meditation to help you with your blood pressure. Work closely with your doctor as you work to eliminate medications and I wish you good luck.

15. Enriquetta says:

follow up: the previous comment is not for any one to attempt what I have done, but I STRONGLY suggest that natural herbs and spices, healthy eating and lifestyle change is worth living and researching oppose to continuous use of pharmaceutical products. My doctor told me I would never walk again and permanently wrote me off as disabled from this crippling desease (RA) – i’m running 3 miles a day and working out to T25 and other cardio videos 4 days a week:) I have succeeded in Crossfitting – my greatest achievement was Clean&Jerk 160lbs:) Lastly, she stated that I would NEVER get off my injections – JESUS has the last say:) I AM INJECTION FREEEEE! Cardamom!
    Thank you for allowing me to sharing and thank you all for sharing.
    All the best to everyone! Blessings~E

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you so much, Enriquetta, for sharing how well cardamom has worked for you. You are an inspiration!

16. Enriquetta says:

Hi! ITHANK YOU for this helpful information. A few months back I was given some tea bags and instant Chia mix with Cardamom from an Indian coworker of mine. I wasn’t keen about the tea bags, but the instant mix was awesome tasting. I really think I am addicted to it! Anywho, I was on chemo injections for my RA along with other anti-inflammatory pills and have been praying to come off my meds, was not successful before the tea. As I continue to drink the teas on a daily bases I decided to try it once more…guess what?! I am chemo free and I attribute it to prayer and now the tea from what I have researched. The properties in Cardamom, I believe, has help my inflammation substantially. However, I am still on Meloxicam and Folic Acid pills but I have faith in prayer and Cardamom. Thank you for sharing helpful and usefully information that has helped me in my life. Best, E

17. Tim says:

I was introduced to cordamom in black tea while serving with the US Army in Iraq. I did not drink hot tea or use cordamom before my tours in Iraq. Now I drink a small pot of Earl Grey tea with cordamom every day. I break one dried cordamom seed pod for each teaspoon of dried tea. My Iraqi friends tell me that they feed cordamom to sheep to give a better flavor to the meat. Thanks for the article! It’s nice to know that cordamom not only tastes good, but is good for me as well.

18. fatma says:

so nice,I like it bcs it helps us in our herbal study.mh can we get the mechanisim of action?

19. marwat says:

charlie having read your article i am taking cardamom mixed in a spoon of honey before breakfast. i have TINITUS WITH INDUCED deafness, more in the left ear. Do you think this would help any improvement in hearing loss ????? need your advice/ suggestion. marwat Islamabad.

• marwat says:

someone suggested cinamon mixed with honey. wonder which is the correct combination ? and weather condamom or cinamon with honey is supported by any evidence for deafness. marwat

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I think cinnamon and honey are mixed equally for hearing loss, but the evidence is mainly anecdotal. There aren’t any studies that support it that I know of. Still might be worth a try, but make sure you are using ceylon cinnamon and not cassia.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

And I think cardamom would be a good addition too.

20. kashphia says:

Hi!!
    i’m in love with cardamoms….
    i eat like 30 cardamoms everyday!
    will it cause a health problem,,,??
    I don’t take it with other things like coffee,juice!just love to eat the cardamom pods :-)

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

There’s no overdose amount that I know of, Kashphia, but that is a lot. Cardamom can lead to gallstones and it can interact with some medications. Keep an eye on how you feel and cut back if you notice any side effects.

21. Medialitz says:

Love Cardamon sprinkled in my coffee with a splash of cream…Yum

22. Dionne says:

Thanks for the information. I first found about this seed from a resturant in Dallas that put it in this great pineapple drink. Now I can’t wait to see what else I can use it in.

23. Steve Sydney says:

Thank you for the insight, I came across Cardamon pods some 30 years ago on a visit to the Jordanian Ambassador to Australian our Capital, Canberra, who served me black tea with Cardamon Pods, it adds a great flavor, a sweet, not to flowery taste (more sweet) to black tea, I enjoy it most mornings since acquiring the taste some 30 years ago. The Jordanian Ambassador told me that this is the way most Jordanians drink their tea. Your article states it is an Indian spice, so I can only presume sometime in the past that it has been imported to Jordan and adopted by them.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Yes, Steve, cardamon was one of the major spices that were sold by the Arabian spice traders to the Mediterranean countries along with black pepper, ginger, and many others. They cleverly kept the Indian source a secret for hundreds of years. Most of Europe believed cardamon came from Asia or Arabia, until the Portuguese discovered a sea route to India and the spice routes collapsed. I’m sure cardamon is used traditionally throughout all the regions that these spice traders once traveled through.

24. jim ryan says:

have found myself with a threat of illness growing within me.And my intuition has drawn me to cardamom as well as lemon myrtle,sour sop,vanilla beans,they all have something to do with healing my ailment ,now is it possible to blend it and drink it or is tea a stronger way ,if not cooking or steaming
    have learnt so much in the last ten minutes .my confidence i healing is great thank you

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You can definitely blend it into smoothies and other beverages, Jim. Plenty of people add it to their morning coffee or smoothie. I like it in tea with cinnamon, turmeric, and ginger myself, but you can use it many other places.

25. Donna Kendall says:

How much do you use to get the benefits?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I use about a teaspoon. It doesn’t take much to get some of the benefits. I would stick to a tablespoon or less, Donna.

26. Hilary Totterman says:

Hi Charlie, and all cardamom fans out there. Loving this friendly, helpful spice chat here! Wow! One thing I’ve not seen disussed is that there is green cardomom and black cardomom. Green cardomom is the wonderful stuff I cook with, but I am wondering what black cardomom is like and what the differences are.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you, Hilary! You are correct, there is both green and black cardamom. Black cardamom is dried over open flames so it has a smoky flavor that lends itself well to more savory dishes. Green works well for sweet and/or spicier recipes. I hope that helps.

27. Jen says:

Thank you for this info. I have been craving cardamon seeds for the last few months. I am eating the seeds, about 20 pods a day at the moment. Just loving the flavour, always have. Reminds me of gum leaves.

28. sam says:

I suffer severe unexplained nausea bouts that wake me up mid night. Probably psychosomatic. I started massaging cardamom essential oil mixed with coconut oil into my stomach. Can Use it internally? Anyone tried?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

The essential oils are concentrated and not usually what you want to use internally, Sam. They can be a little hard on your kidneys and liver. Stick to the actual spice as whole seeds or powder for internal use and start small.

29. Harish Chandra says:

HI,
    Please let me know, how much cardamom I can take a day – on a daily basis / can I take the same on regular for a long time.

Thanks & Regards,
    Harish Chandra

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Harish, cardamom is considered safe for daily use in the amounts found in food and there are no long term side effects that I know of. I’d stick to about one or two teaspoons a day. Any more and you tend to overpower food and beverages pretty fast. I hope that helps you decide how to use it in your life.

30. Rajesh says:

Very useful information. I will start it from today.

Btw I’m 32 year guy.. I work in an IT company.
    I feel tired all through the day. Whenever I look into the mirror or take a selfie, my face looks so dull and my eyes look like I didn’t sleep for years.

Could you please suggest any natural remedies for this?

Thanks!

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You probably want to talk to a doctor, Rajesh, just to make sure your fatigue isn’t caused by something serious. Exercise, sleep, and good foods can help. I suggest you look at this article too: http://www.sunwarrior.com/news/adrenal-foods/ Good luck to you. I hope you feel better soon.

• sam says:

Rajesh!
      there is a great little book you can purchase online from Neil Patel “What is disease”, $3 or $5 may be, or even free. Everyone, everyone must read this book.. Don’t go to doctors yet. There are many books on this topic, but this particular one is small, but delivers everything one need to know.

31. michelle says:

Thanks for your info. I find it amazing how you answer every single post! I have been using cardamon for about a full year now, just chewing on the whole pods and getting the seeds out with my teeth. It can get a bit addictive but it is such an amazing spice. I find it settles my stomach, gives me energy and alertness and really fresh breath. I love to have a few pods in my pocket at all times. Too many can give mouth ulcers so beware of overuse. Cheers!

32. Aleena says:

Hello!
    What is the best way to take cardamom for Cold & flu or Detoxify?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I’m a big fan of using it as a tea with a dash of ginger and turmeric and perhaps cinnamon to help detox and bolster my immune system, Aleena.

33. elizabeth says:

Hi Charlie!! A few years back I discovered brewing tea with cardamom, serving over ice, and topping off with a splash of Rose Water and a lemon wedge! From that day forward I’ve been in love with the flavor of cardamom. Also adding to green drinks and Greek yogurts.
    I am also using turmeric quite liberally lately and have noticed Iam ssweating “bullets “at times through out the day.I have lupus and am interested in food/spices for their anti inflammatory benefits!! You are so kind in your approach as well as knowledgeable!! Just love YouXOXO
    Could you expound on anti inflammatory foods and spices??
    I’ve also been using a lot of pineapple with the turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon and raw wild honey!! I am slowly noticing a difference in how I feel as pain goes :-)

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

That recipe sounds delicious, Elizabeth! Thank you for the love. I do try to be kind. I love love LOVE turmeric. I use turmeric, ginger, and coconut oil for just about anything pain related rather than NSAIDs. Pineapple and cinnamon are great too. Sounds like you are on the right track, but I expound a little more here http://www.sunwarrior.com/news/pain-fighting-foods/ and here http://www.sunwarrior.com/news/herbs-and-spices-as-painkillers/ I hope these help you feel better.

• Carmen says:

Thanks to Charlie you are inspiration to me. And this is a tip for Elizabeth. Have gluten free foods, eat cruciferous vegetables but blanch them before. Then make a salad with extra virgin Olive oil, sea salt, lemon and pepper. Do not eat anything with sugar or sugar substitutes. No soya or food with MSG or chicken cubes. Add sea weed to your diet 3 times a week maximum. And this is your special. See info about sour sop is good to cure cancer. Tea of 4 leaves 3 times a day 1/2 hour before food for 30 days. Of course, check info and try to see how does it go with you. When a plant is good for cancer, it cures everything else in the road. Also you can get the fruit and eat its pulp, it is delicious.
      Remember to practice yoga, meditation, and exercise 2 or 3 times a week. I wish you will get cure soon. Be healthy and happy

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you so much, Carmen, and thank you for the wonderful tips for Elizabeth! You are an inspiration to me as well.

34. Georgia says:

I take dexilant is it safe to use cardamom

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

That’s a tough question, Georgia. There are no interactions I know of with cardamom and most spices are safe when used in amounts commonly found in foods, but you may want to consult your doctor before adding something new to your diet while on medication. Many prescription drugs can have surprising side effects.

35. Kate says:

Hi I’m so glad I found you from now on always I will read your article so much health information I just read before that I never eaten any Indian food or spicy thank you so much for good information God bless

36. Serafina says:

What kind of a comment do you want????????????

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Sorry, Serafina. It takes me a little while to approve comments on the hundreds of articles I have up. I also get a lot of spam and I have to weed through it all. I loved your comment, though, so don’t worry.

37. Serafina says:

Charlie: I’m first generation Sicilian. lived most of my young life with my Grandmother. She was a great cook and teacher. Because of her I am a firm believer in using cardamom, turmeric, coriander. Basil, oregano cumin. etc. You name it, I cook with it.

I’m 94 plus years old, and not on any meds, I exercise twice a week on the VASPER equipment look it up. I Live alone and do all my own cooking, and I’m still driving.
    Keep on doing what your doing getting the word out about the joy of cooking with Spices.

Aloha.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you, Serafina. I love spices and I try to use as many fresh herbs as my little patio garden will let me. You are amazing!

38. Em says:

I find this quite interesting… I’ve had bad bloating all day (probably a bit too fond of my newly discovered additction: lupini beans!) and I’ve just felt the sudden urge to chew on cardamom (never done it before). So before I headed out to get some in the kitchen to give it a try, I google it up and what do I find…helps for digestion problems. I think my body is talking to me :-)

39. Keith says:

Hi Charlie and world. I have purchased cardamom powder which I add in my super drink in the mornings. It has a beautiful taste of pepper,lemon and ginger. I only use about a half a teaspoon as it is very expensive here in Australia. I add baby spinach, apple, almond and mixed seeds,eg chia seeds, sunflower. hemp and pumkin and gogi berries. You can throw in what you like to you taste.
    Awesome for the Body folks, so get you drinks happening. A Magic Bullet is best or simular as the cheap ones work just as well’
    TIP….Grind you nuts and seeds first for best results.

40. murthy says:

Hello charlie
    What u hv provided is agreat info regarding cardomom thanx for that but one sideeffect told by my elderly people is that regular use of cardomom make ur blood cool that means impotent. Iam asking u is that true? Will u plz tell me?
    Thnks
    Murthy

41. Jaswinder says:

I love this spice-Cardamom, it has many health benefits.
    I use it a lot all the time in my kitchen and it is my favorite spice to use for Tea. when it is cold in winter, you can make Tea with cardamom, and fennel, which helps to give you energy and even I use cardamom for milk as well.

Thanks for writing this valuable information.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you, Jaswinder! I add cardamom to my cinnamon tea and sometimes I add a little star anise for the same reason you add fennel. Delicious!

42. Ann says:

Made chocolate balls containing ground almonds, cacao powder, coconut oil, dates and ground cardamom …. Yuuuuuuum !! Healthy too if using organic ingredients.

43. kevin says:

Ive been juicing/blending with a vitamixer, should I throw the whole pod in, or break open and just the seed. Also I have been chewing on the pod after meals for breath freshener, can the pod be consumed or should I be removing. Thanks in advance, great info…
    Kevin

44. Canute Temu says:

Thank you. I am now groing 200 cardamom plants in my spice garden on the slpoes of Mt Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. I also have 400 ginger plants this year. I have a few vanillas and 500 banana plants! I may try TUMERIC if I can get the seedlings/seeds/suckers for growing! Canute Temu tel +255754282101.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

That is awesome, Canute! You should have a good chance of growing turmeric if you grow ginger so well. Good luck!

45. Ed Mooney says:

Hello….I just stumbled on this site after Googling “what is cardamom”lol! I always enjoyed Turkish coffee at my Hookah cafe.Now I know what that aromatic spice is! And to know that it has nutritional value to boot!

46. Maria P says:

Thanks for the info!
    The Greek language has made a verb out of cardamon which is used at least in the island of Crete to signify stregth. My grandmother used to tell me eat your food so you can cardamoseis (so you can become strong). Rural women’s wisdom about the medicinal properties of cardamon. Maria

47. arand says:

cardamom is really a very good herb for medicinal purposes ,I use it every day in my coffee and the results are amazing..

48. Mahmood Tariq says:

I take green all the day along. Usually, i take hot water and add into it few leaves of fresh mint and one pot of cardamon and i keep topping up the hot water in the same cup as i consume. I wonder if i lose the nutrients this way. Please reply through my e-mail also, if possible.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Heat destroys some of the more sensitive nutrients, but a little tea each day is still a good way to get nutrient and antioxidant rich hydration. Mint and cardamom sound delicious together. Thank you, Mahmood.

49. Ilana says:

Thanks for the interesting thing you brought us
    Ilana.

50. Gail says:

Thanks for the info…

I put a pinch of cardamom seeds in my water bottle and drink all day. Sometimes ginger and sometimes a piece of cinnamon or a combination of the three…
    A whole new way to think of flavored water (w/o the sugar and dyes).

51. Sumangali says:

Charli. I really enjoy your information.as indian I use cardamom in sweet dishes too . I never knew these many Benifit has in it. Thanks for sharing

52. Mayoor says:

Dear Charlie Pulsipher,
    Thanks For sharing wonderful information about Cardamom, Infact I’m preparing a slide show and the subject line is ‘ HEALTH BENEFIT OF SPICE AND HEARBS” , When I try to find some information about Cardamom I find your article and it is really informative. Can I use this information for my slide show? Which will be published on my website and also will be shared on YouTube & other social website, Hope to hear soon from your side,
    With Perfect Regards,

Mayoor Desai.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you very much, Mayoor. Feel free to use this information for your slide show. Just reference back to here if you can please.

53. Adriana says:

Hello,
    I have always loved Cardamom flavor but didn’t know it was so healthy too !
    Now I enjoy it even more knowing it is not just tasty but good & healthy, Thanks so much for this information. And I just wanted to ask, is there any cautions with using Cardamom, like “overdosage”? I like to add a full teaspoon to my ice-cofee, about 3-5 times a day? can that be too much?
    I would appreciate your input.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you, Adriana. As far as I know there is no overdose amount. Too much can definitely overwhelm a beverage or recipe, but it doesn’t have any interactions or crazy side effects, so, if you enjoy the flavor, you are probably okay taking a teaspoon in each coffee. But remember that more of a good thing is not always better.

54. Hawaa says:

Warm Greetings ,
    We – my sister and me – are just searching the net to know about health benefits of Cardamom, and we clicked this topic , it is really Great! thanks very much for the valuable information. We usually use cardamom for its nice flavor with Tea and Coffee. Now we will be adding more Cardamom for its health benefits.
    Thank you very very much.

55. Barbara Kahn says:

Ah yes, cardamom. Several years ago i bought a plant at an herb festival in Asheville, NC and have been growing it ever since. By dividing it yearly, I make many little potted plants and sell them at farmers markets. I use the fresh leaves in herbal teas and for interesting soups and broths, Indian style.

56. abi says:

Hi to everyone :)
    My parents are in the process of developing a buisness providing curry spices and step by step instructions. One of which is the classic Cardamom Curry, a huge amount of cardamoms go in to this dish so the benefits of the cardamoms are multiplied! It is also one of the tastiest currys I have ever tried! If anyone would like further information contact me at abigailmaunsell@yahoo.com . X

57. Kratos says:

Great information Charlie, Thanks! I want to share with everybody this simple delicious recipe that I’m actually drinking at the moment.

Got a cold or a flu? Or just want something to sooth your tired body before bed…

Honey Turmeric Soother:

1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp cardamom
    1/4 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp honey (preferably unpasteurized)
    1 cup coconut milk

Warm the coconut milk, add spices and enjoy!
    Serves 1.

Anti-inflammatory, mega-watt dose of anti-oxidants, anti-viral, immune boosting and more!

Courtesy of http://www.joyoushealth.ca/

58. amy says:

I buy my spice cardamom, clove , black cardamom and cinnamon , from Indian store. they are so much cheaper then buying from other store.

59. tanya says:

have been buying coffee and tea from international store in town for years. both have cardamom. until now i did not know that my passion for these was so healthy for me. i have found i can drink coffee from Lebanon without the nasty reflux i have with regular coffees. i went for a year with out coffee and only drinking hot teas because the acid was so hard on my digestion. now i can only drink Arab coffee and only like the kind with the cardamom. it does add a nutty flavor to the brew but i really enjoy it. my family has learned to embrace it as well. really enjoyed the article which has answered so many questions for me regarding the health benefits found in this great spice.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Glad to help you learn something, Tanya. That’s part of why I write, though I admit it’s mainly to learn new things myself. Cardamom is related to ginger, so the ease on your digestion isn’t too surprising. I hope you start adding it to more than just coffee.

60. Ana says:

Hi,

I was wondering if it is safe to use this spice if you are pregnant. Please advise

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Cardamom is generally considered safe in food amounts for pregnant women. It is related to ginger and many use it in teas to help alleviate morning sickness.

61. saida says:

puo essere usata nel dolce
    grazie di tutto

62. Thanks so much for making my life easier with this concise information. I will post this on my site. I especially was delighted in the blood clotting and erectile dysfunction remedy. We are making a spice salt for health, beauty and food flavouring rub/biscuit sprinkle.

63. QJ says:

Great article. I’ve been drinking Pakistani milk tea every day for years now, the most essential spice of which is cardamom. I can’t say enough about the wonderful flavor it adds. I also use it regularly in rice dishes and soups.

Since reading your article however I’ve decided to up my cardamom use as some of the benefits you listed, I’d not been aware of.

I’ve recently taken up eating arugula as it’s inexpensive and widely available where I live. I’ve heard good things about it and really enjoy its flavor and texture. Do you know any of it’s health benefits?

Thanks a lot.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Sounds like some delicious ways to use cardamom, QJ. Arugula, like many greens, is rich in minerals, antioxidants, and vitamins, but it contains much less anti-nutrients like those found in spinach. It is low in calories and full of benefits. Arugula is even supposed to boost libido.

64. Diane says:

Hi,
    I have always loved this spice and have reintroduced to my cooking with the standard ‘holy trinity’ (garlic, ginger, chilli)
    It’s such a fragrant and delicate flavor :)
    I suffer from stomach problems and arthritis and complications from years of prescription drugs related to my spinal problems.
    Desperate to reduce the drugs I take I am looking for natural Ayurvedic solutions. I just made a ginger and cardamom tea to ease gastritis. Therapeutically, how do you use them? The whole pod or the seeds? I guess Indians chew the pods. Where does the benefit come from? Thanks :)

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I like fresh ground pods more than preground. I just toss them in a coffee grinder I have set aside specifically for spices since I don’t drink coffee myself. There is nothing like fresh ground. I do the same with celery seeds and cumin. Cardamom works well whole in smoothies too since I’m blending everything anyway. It is a pretty universal spice. I’ve found I can add it to many savory dishes in small amounts and I use it in tea often. It’s the phytochemicals and essential oils in cardamom that seem to provide most of the benefits.

65. Theresa says:

I discovered cardamom this morning as an addition to my iced americano concoction which already includes a heavy sprinke of both cinnamon and nutmeg, and a splash of nonfat milk. After loving what it added to the flavor of my coffee I found this site and am happy to say I will now be having Cardamom daily whenever I can in my coffee!

66. I was led to purchase some cardamon. I used it over some potatoes. I looked it up and wala! It is the perfect help I need for health and to recommend. It has the properties that would be good for diabetes and on top of that weight loss, b/p, diuretic, kidney issues, and infections. This has been a neglected herb. It even helps to fight colds and flu, aging, digestion and depression. What a gift. I will be using this and thanking you every time as you have passed your knowledge on and it will save lives. Thank you and may the Lord bless you. Oh yes, it will save much money as it is almost free.

67. Chetan says:

I have started to have cardomoms after each meal viz lunch and Dinner. I have come to know that it also helps boost metabolism and hepl in fatloss. Thanks for a good article.

68. lorraine says:

can you tell me how iam supposed to mix the cardamons and what iam supposed to take them with for each illness you have stated thanks

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Good questions, Lorraine. Many people add a few cardamom pods to their smoothies or a few dashes if it is already powdered. It is also very good in curries, rice dishes, squash soups, quinoa, and many more recipes. I often add a dash to cinnamon or ginger tea.

• Donna Kendall says:

It’s also wonderful on steel-cut or whole oats.

• Kathy says:

It is popularly used in Arabic coffee.

• salwa says:

Quite true–love it. Also, cardamom has the added benefit of turning coffee from acidic to alkaline. I just started using it with my green tea which is also acidic, as most teas are, but cardamom turns it alkaline..

Thank you, salwa!

• Elle says:

Wow, that’s so good to know that it turns coffee that is “acidic” to “alkaline”. Now will add some to my coffee. :-)

• Jan says:

Cardamom also is a mild soporific and counters the sometimes jittery effect of caffeine – as well as adding a wonderful flavour to the coffee and keeping its stimulating quality. A all round win win spice!

69. Roy says:

No wonder so many Americans suffer with health problems salt pepper and sugar just don’t cut it learn more – Spice Up

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

So true. We really do need to rediscover the spices.

• Pat says:

Yeah, absolutely! Turmeric, ginger, black pepper [don't diss pepper – it helps radically increase absorption in the gut of the curcumin in turmeric], rosemary, oregano – these are all such valuable additions to the diet, for their antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, infection-fighting effects.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I love turmeric and ginger too, Pat. I use them every day. I also wrote an article recently about how turmeric and black pepper play well together. A great tip. Thank you!

70. satpal says:

Thanks for so good information for people’s health.