15 Health Benefits of Cardamom

Monday, May 20, 2013 @ 08:05 AM Charlie Pulsipher
15 Health Benefits of Cardamom 4.76/5 (95.22%) 343 votes

Cardamom is native to the evergreen forests of India. This spice is commonly used in Indian cuisine, but it has also made its way into Ayurvedic medicine as a treatment for mouth ulcers, digestive problems, and even depression. Some of the health benefits of this peppery, citrusy spice are now making their way into modern studies. It’s well worth adding cardamom to your food for the flavor alone, but these health benefits are also something to consider whenever you break out the spices.

1. 15_health_benefits_of_cardamom_imageDigestion – Cardamom is related to ginger and can be used in much the same way to counteract digestive problems. Use it to combat nausea, acidity, bloating, gas, heartburn, loss of appetite, constipation, and much more.
  2. Detoxify – This spice helps the body eliminate waste through the kidneys.
  3. Halitosis – In India they chew cardamom after meals or whenever they need to freshen their breath.
  4. Diuretic – Part of the reason cardamom is such a good detoxifier is thanks to the diuretic properties. It helps clean out the urinary tract, bladder, and kidneys, removing waste, salt, excess water, toxins, and combating infections too.
  5. Depression – The science behind the antidepressant qualities of cardamom hasn’t been studied yet, but Ayurvedic medicine swears by the tea as a means to fight depression.
  6. Oral Health – Apart from helping with bad breath, cardamom is used for mouth ulcers and infections of the mouth and throat.
  7. Cold and Flu – This pungent spice may help prevent and relieve cold and flu symptoms. It’s also used for bronchitis and coughs.
  8. Cancer – Animal studies are showing promise that cardamom protects against, inhibits growth, and even kills some cancers.
  9. Blood Pressure – As a diuretic and fiber rich spice, cardamom significantly lowers blood pressure.
  10. Blood Clots – Cardamom prevents dangerous blood clots by preventing platelet aggregation and the sticking to the artery walls.
  11. Antioxidant – Many of the vitamins, phytonutrients, and essential oils in cardamom act as antioxidants, cleaning up free radicals and resisting cellular aging.
  12. Pathogens – The volatile essential oils in cardamom inhibit the growth of viruses, bacteria, fungus, and mold.
  13. Anti-inflammatory – Like ginger and turmeric, its relatives, cardamom has some anti-inflammatory properties that limit pain and swelling, especially in mucus membranes, the mouth, and throat.
  14. Hiccups – Cardamom is an anti-spasmodic that can help get rid of hiccups. This also applies to other involuntary muscle spasms, like stomach and intestinal cramps.
  15. Aphrodisiac – Traditional medicine lists cardamom as a powerful aphrodisiac that can help with erectile dysfunction and impotence.
Charlie Pulsipher

About Charlie Pulsipher

Charlie Pulsipher is a health and fitness enthusiast, writer, author, and neighborhood do-gooder. He shifted his education from Biochemistry to English Literature in an attempt to avoid math, but never stopped loving the natural world of the miniscule. He has published several fantasy and science fiction novels and helped others publish more down to earth books about natural foods. He can’t stop writing. He is probably happily tapping away on some keyboard even now.

104 Responses to “15 Health Benefits of Cardamom”

1. satpal says:

Thanks for so good information for people’s health.

2. Roy says:

No wonder so many Americans suffer with health problems salt pepper and sugar just don’t cut it learn more – Spice Up

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

So true. We really do need to rediscover the spices.

• Pat says:

Yeah, absolutely! Turmeric, ginger, black pepper [don't diss pepper – it helps radically increase absorption in the gut of the curcumin in turmeric], rosemary, oregano – these are all such valuable additions to the diet, for their antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, infection-fighting effects.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I love turmeric and ginger too, Pat. I use them every day. I also wrote an article recently about how turmeric and black pepper play well together. A great tip. Thank you!

3. lorraine says:

can you tell me how iam supposed to mix the cardamons and what iam supposed to take them with for each illness you have stated thanks

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Good questions, Lorraine. Many people add a few cardamom pods to their smoothies or a few dashes if it is already powdered. It is also very good in curries, rice dishes, squash soups, quinoa, and many more recipes. I often add a dash to cinnamon or ginger tea.

4. Chetan says:

I have started to have cardomoms after each meal viz lunch and Dinner. I have come to know that it also helps boost metabolism and hepl in fatloss. Thanks for a good article.

5. I was led to purchase some cardamon. I used it over some potatoes. I looked it up and wala! It is the perfect help I need for health and to recommend. It has the properties that would be good for diabetes and on top of that weight loss, b/p, diuretic, kidney issues, and infections. This has been a neglected herb. It even helps to fight colds and flu, aging, digestion and depression. What a gift. I will be using this and thanking you every time as you have passed your knowledge on and it will save lives. Thank you and may the Lord bless you. Oh yes, it will save much money as it is almost free.

6. Theresa says:

I discovered cardamom this morning as an addition to my iced americano concoction which already includes a heavy sprinke of both cinnamon and nutmeg, and a splash of nonfat milk. After loving what it added to the flavor of my coffee I found this site and am happy to say I will now be having Cardamom daily whenever I can in my coffee!

7. Diane says:

Hi,
    I have always loved this spice and have reintroduced to my cooking with the standard ‘holy trinity’ (garlic, ginger, chilli)
    It’s such a fragrant and delicate flavor :)
    I suffer from stomach problems and arthritis and complications from years of prescription drugs related to my spinal problems.
    Desperate to reduce the drugs I take I am looking for natural Ayurvedic solutions. I just made a ginger and cardamom tea to ease gastritis. Therapeutically, how do you use them? The whole pod or the seeds? I guess Indians chew the pods. Where does the benefit come from? Thanks :)

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I like fresh ground pods more than preground. I just toss them in a coffee grinder I have set aside specifically for spices since I don’t drink coffee myself. There is nothing like fresh ground. I do the same with celery seeds and cumin. Cardamom works well whole in smoothies too since I’m blending everything anyway. It is a pretty universal spice. I’ve found I can add it to many savory dishes in small amounts and I use it in tea often. It’s the phytochemicals and essential oils in cardamom that seem to provide most of the benefits.

8. QJ says:

Great article. I’ve been drinking Pakistani milk tea every day for years now, the most essential spice of which is cardamom. I can’t say enough about the wonderful flavor it adds. I also use it regularly in rice dishes and soups.

Since reading your article however I’ve decided to up my cardamom use as some of the benefits you listed, I’d not been aware of.

I’ve recently taken up eating arugula as it’s inexpensive and widely available where I live. I’ve heard good things about it and really enjoy its flavor and texture. Do you know any of it’s health benefits?

Thanks a lot.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Sounds like some delicious ways to use cardamom, QJ. Arugula, like many greens, is rich in minerals, antioxidants, and vitamins, but it contains much less anti-nutrients like those found in spinach. It is low in calories and full of benefits. Arugula is even supposed to boost libido.

9. Thanks so much for making my life easier with this concise information. I will post this on my site. I especially was delighted in the blood clotting and erectile dysfunction remedy. We are making a spice salt for health, beauty and food flavouring rub/biscuit sprinkle.

10. saida says:

puo essere usata nel dolce
    grazie di tutto

11. Ana says:

Hi,

I was wondering if it is safe to use this spice if you are pregnant. Please advise

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Cardamom is generally considered safe in food amounts for pregnant women. It is related to ginger and many use it in teas to help alleviate morning sickness.

12. tanya says:

have been buying coffee and tea from international store in town for years. both have cardamom. until now i did not know that my passion for these was so healthy for me. i have found i can drink coffee from Lebanon without the nasty reflux i have with regular coffees. i went for a year with out coffee and only drinking hot teas because the acid was so hard on my digestion. now i can only drink Arab coffee and only like the kind with the cardamom. it does add a nutty flavor to the brew but i really enjoy it. my family has learned to embrace it as well. really enjoyed the article which has answered so many questions for me regarding the health benefits found in this great spice.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Glad to help you learn something, Tanya. That’s part of why I write, though I admit it’s mainly to learn new things myself. Cardamom is related to ginger, so the ease on your digestion isn’t too surprising. I hope you start adding it to more than just coffee.

13. amy says:

I buy my spice cardamom, clove , black cardamom and cinnamon , from Indian store. they are so much cheaper then buying from other store.

14. Kratos says:

Great information Charlie, Thanks! I want to share with everybody this simple delicious recipe that I’m actually drinking at the moment.

Got a cold or a flu? Or just want something to sooth your tired body before bed…

Honey Turmeric Soother:

1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp cardamom
    1/4 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp honey (preferably unpasteurized)
    1 cup coconut milk

Warm the coconut milk, add spices and enjoy!
    Serves 1.

Anti-inflammatory, mega-watt dose of anti-oxidants, anti-viral, immune boosting and more!

Courtesy of http://www.joyoushealth.ca/

15. abi says:

Hi to everyone :)
    My parents are in the process of developing a buisness providing curry spices and step by step instructions. One of which is the classic Cardamom Curry, a huge amount of cardamoms go in to this dish so the benefits of the cardamoms are multiplied! It is also one of the tastiest currys I have ever tried! If anyone would like further information contact me at abigailmaunsell@yahoo.com . X

16. Barbara Kahn says:

Ah yes, cardamom. Several years ago i bought a plant at an herb festival in Asheville, NC and have been growing it ever since. By dividing it yearly, I make many little potted plants and sell them at farmers markets. I use the fresh leaves in herbal teas and for interesting soups and broths, Indian style.

17. Hawaa says:

Warm Greetings ,
    We – my sister and me – are just searching the net to know about health benefits of Cardamom, and we clicked this topic , it is really Great! thanks very much for the valuable information. We usually use cardamom for its nice flavor with Tea and Coffee. Now we will be adding more Cardamom for its health benefits.
    Thank you very very much.

18. Adriana says:

Hello,
    I have always loved Cardamom flavor but didn’t know it was so healthy too !
    Now I enjoy it even more knowing it is not just tasty but good & healthy, Thanks so much for this information. And I just wanted to ask, is there any cautions with using Cardamom, like “overdosage”? I like to add a full teaspoon to my ice-cofee, about 3-5 times a day? can that be too much?
    I would appreciate your input.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you, Adriana. As far as I know there is no overdose amount. Too much can definitely overwhelm a beverage or recipe, but it doesn’t have any interactions or crazy side effects, so, if you enjoy the flavor, you are probably okay taking a teaspoon in each coffee. But remember that more of a good thing is not always better.

19. Mayoor says:

Dear Charlie Pulsipher,
    Thanks For sharing wonderful information about Cardamom, Infact I’m preparing a slide show and the subject line is ‘ HEALTH BENEFIT OF SPICE AND HEARBS” , When I try to find some information about Cardamom I find your article and it is really informative. Can I use this information for my slide show? Which will be published on my website and also will be shared on YouTube & other social website, Hope to hear soon from your side,
    With Perfect Regards,

Mayoor Desai.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you very much, Mayoor. Feel free to use this information for your slide show. Just reference back to here if you can please.

20. Sumangali says:

Charli. I really enjoy your information.as indian I use cardamom in sweet dishes too . I never knew these many Benifit has in it. Thanks for sharing

21. Gail says:

Thanks for the info…

I put a pinch of cardamom seeds in my water bottle and drink all day. Sometimes ginger and sometimes a piece of cinnamon or a combination of the three…
    A whole new way to think of flavored water (w/o the sugar and dyes).

22. Ilana says:

Thanks for the interesting thing you brought us
    Ilana.

23. Mahmood Tariq says:

I take green all the day along. Usually, i take hot water and add into it few leaves of fresh mint and one pot of cardamon and i keep topping up the hot water in the same cup as i consume. I wonder if i lose the nutrients this way. Please reply through my e-mail also, if possible.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Heat destroys some of the more sensitive nutrients, but a little tea each day is still a good way to get nutrient and antioxidant rich hydration. Mint and cardamom sound delicious together. Thank you, Mahmood.

24. arand says:

cardamom is really a very good herb for medicinal purposes ,I use it every day in my coffee and the results are amazing..

25. Maria P says:

Thanks for the info!
    The Greek language has made a verb out of cardamon which is used at least in the island of Crete to signify stregth. My grandmother used to tell me eat your food so you can cardamoseis (so you can become strong). Rural women’s wisdom about the medicinal properties of cardamon. Maria

26. Ed Mooney says:

Hello….I just stumbled on this site after Googling “what is cardamom”lol! I always enjoyed Turkish coffee at my Hookah cafe.Now I know what that aromatic spice is! And to know that it has nutritional value to boot!

27. Canute Temu says:

Thank you. I am now groing 200 cardamom plants in my spice garden on the slpoes of Mt Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. I also have 400 ginger plants this year. I have a few vanillas and 500 banana plants! I may try TUMERIC if I can get the seedlings/seeds/suckers for growing! Canute Temu tel +255754282101.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

That is awesome, Canute! You should have a good chance of growing turmeric if you grow ginger so well. Good luck!

28. kevin says:

Ive been juicing/blending with a vitamixer, should I throw the whole pod in, or break open and just the seed. Also I have been chewing on the pod after meals for breath freshener, can the pod be consumed or should I be removing. Thanks in advance, great info…
    Kevin

29. Ann says:

Made chocolate balls containing ground almonds, cacao powder, coconut oil, dates and ground cardamom …. Yuuuuuuum !! Healthy too if using organic ingredients.

30. Jaswinder says:

I love this spice-Cardamom, it has many health benefits.
    I use it a lot all the time in my kitchen and it is my favorite spice to use for Tea. when it is cold in winter, you can make Tea with cardamom, and fennel, which helps to give you energy and even I use cardamom for milk as well.

Thanks for writing this valuable information.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you, Jaswinder! I add cardamom to my cinnamon tea and sometimes I add a little star anise for the same reason you add fennel. Delicious!

31. murthy says:

Hello charlie
    What u hv provided is agreat info regarding cardomom thanx for that but one sideeffect told by my elderly people is that regular use of cardomom make ur blood cool that means impotent. Iam asking u is that true? Will u plz tell me?
    Thnks
    Murthy

32. Keith says:

Hi Charlie and world. I have purchased cardamom powder which I add in my super drink in the mornings. It has a beautiful taste of pepper,lemon and ginger. I only use about a half a teaspoon as it is very expensive here in Australia. I add baby spinach, apple, almond and mixed seeds,eg chia seeds, sunflower. hemp and pumkin and gogi berries. You can throw in what you like to you taste.
    Awesome for the Body folks, so get you drinks happening. A Magic Bullet is best or simular as the cheap ones work just as well’
    TIP….Grind you nuts and seeds first for best results.

33. Em says:

I find this quite interesting… I’ve had bad bloating all day (probably a bit too fond of my newly discovered additction: lupini beans!) and I’ve just felt the sudden urge to chew on cardamom (never done it before). So before I headed out to get some in the kitchen to give it a try, I google it up and what do I find…helps for digestion problems. I think my body is talking to me :-)

34. Serafina says:

Charlie: I’m first generation Sicilian. lived most of my young life with my Grandmother. She was a great cook and teacher. Because of her I am a firm believer in using cardamom, turmeric, coriander. Basil, oregano cumin. etc. You name it, I cook with it.

I’m 94 plus years old, and not on any meds, I exercise twice a week on the VASPER equipment look it up. I Live alone and do all my own cooking, and I’m still driving.
    Keep on doing what your doing getting the word out about the joy of cooking with Spices.

Aloha.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you, Serafina. I love spices and I try to use as many fresh herbs as my little patio garden will let me. You are amazing!

35. Serafina says:

What kind of a comment do you want????????????

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Sorry, Serafina. It takes me a little while to approve comments on the hundreds of articles I have up. I also get a lot of spam and I have to weed through it all. I loved your comment, though, so don’t worry.

36. Kate says:

Hi I’m so glad I found you from now on always I will read your article so much health information I just read before that I never eaten any Indian food or spicy thank you so much for good information God bless

37. Georgia says:

I take dexilant is it safe to use cardamom

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

That’s a tough question, Georgia. There are no interactions I know of with cardamom and most spices are safe when used in amounts commonly found in foods, but you may want to consult your doctor before adding something new to your diet while on medication. Many prescription drugs can have surprising side effects.

38. elizabeth says:

Hi Charlie!! A few years back I discovered brewing tea with cardamom, serving over ice, and topping off with a splash of Rose Water and a lemon wedge! From that day forward I’ve been in love with the flavor of cardamom. Also adding to green drinks and Greek yogurts.
    I am also using turmeric quite liberally lately and have noticed Iam ssweating “bullets “at times through out the day.I have lupus and am interested in food/spices for their anti inflammatory benefits!! You are so kind in your approach as well as knowledgeable!! Just love YouXOXO
    Could you expound on anti inflammatory foods and spices??
    I’ve also been using a lot of pineapple with the turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon and raw wild honey!! I am slowly noticing a difference in how I feel as pain goes :-)

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

That recipe sounds delicious, Elizabeth! Thank you for the love. I do try to be kind. I love love LOVE turmeric. I use turmeric, ginger, and coconut oil for just about anything pain related rather than NSAIDs. Pineapple and cinnamon are great too. Sounds like you are on the right track, but I expound a little more here http://www.sunwarrior.com/news/pain-fighting-foods/ and here http://www.sunwarrior.com/news/herbs-and-spices-as-painkillers/ I hope these help you feel better.

• Carmen says:

Thanks to Charlie you are inspiration to me. And this is a tip for Elizabeth. Have gluten free foods, eat cruciferous vegetables but blanch them before. Then make a salad with extra virgin Olive oil, sea salt, lemon and pepper. Do not eat anything with sugar or sugar substitutes. No soya or food with MSG or chicken cubes. Add sea weed to your diet 3 times a week maximum. And this is your special. See info about sour sop is good to cure cancer. Tea of 4 leaves 3 times a day 1/2 hour before food for 30 days. Of course, check info and try to see how does it go with you. When a plant is good for cancer, it cures everything else in the road. Also you can get the fruit and eat its pulp, it is delicious.
      Remember to practice yoga, meditation, and exercise 2 or 3 times a week. I wish you will get cure soon. Be healthy and happy

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you so much, Carmen, and thank you for the wonderful tips for Elizabeth! You are an inspiration to me as well.

39. Aleena says:

Hello!
    What is the best way to take cardamom for Cold & flu or Detoxify?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I’m a big fan of using it as a tea with a dash of ginger and turmeric and perhaps cinnamon to help detox and bolster my immune system, Aleena.

40. michelle says:

Thanks for your info. I find it amazing how you answer every single post! I have been using cardamon for about a full year now, just chewing on the whole pods and getting the seeds out with my teeth. It can get a bit addictive but it is such an amazing spice. I find it settles my stomach, gives me energy and alertness and really fresh breath. I love to have a few pods in my pocket at all times. Too many can give mouth ulcers so beware of overuse. Cheers!

41. Rajesh says:

Very useful information. I will start it from today.

Btw I’m 32 year guy.. I work in an IT company.
    I feel tired all through the day. Whenever I look into the mirror or take a selfie, my face looks so dull and my eyes look like I didn’t sleep for years.

Could you please suggest any natural remedies for this?

Thanks!

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You probably want to talk to a doctor, Rajesh, just to make sure your fatigue isn’t caused by something serious. Exercise, sleep, and good foods can help. I suggest you look at this article too: http://www.sunwarrior.com/news/adrenal-foods/ Good luck to you. I hope you feel better soon.

• sam says:

Rajesh!
      there is a great little book you can purchase online from Neil Patel “What is disease”, $3 or $5 may be, or even free. Everyone, everyone must read this book.. Don’t go to doctors yet. There are many books on this topic, but this particular one is small, but delivers everything one need to know.

42. Harish Chandra says:

HI,
    Please let me know, how much cardamom I can take a day – on a daily basis / can I take the same on regular for a long time.

Thanks & Regards,
    Harish Chandra

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Harish, cardamom is considered safe for daily use in the amounts found in food and there are no long term side effects that I know of. I’d stick to about one or two teaspoons a day. Any more and you tend to overpower food and beverages pretty fast. I hope that helps you decide how to use it in your life.

43. sam says:

I suffer severe unexplained nausea bouts that wake me up mid night. Probably psychosomatic. I started massaging cardamom essential oil mixed with coconut oil into my stomach. Can Use it internally? Anyone tried?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

The essential oils are concentrated and not usually what you want to use internally, Sam. They can be a little hard on your kidneys and liver. Stick to the actual spice as whole seeds or powder for internal use and start small.

44. Jen says:

Thank you for this info. I have been craving cardamon seeds for the last few months. I am eating the seeds, about 20 pods a day at the moment. Just loving the flavour, always have. Reminds me of gum leaves.