Coconut Oil for a Sore Throat

Monday, July 1, 2013 @ 09:07 AM Charlie Pulsipher
Coconut Oil for a Sore Throat 3.80/5 (76.08%) 102 votes

coconut_oil_for_a_sore_throat_imageThe uses for coconut oil are reaching staggering numbers and growing each day as people try this all-natural, good fat in different ways. Coconut oil and sore throats go together very well. This oil is an anti-inflammatory that soothes the pain, irritation, and scratchiness of a sore throat. It is also antimicrobial, attacking bacteria, fungi, and even many viruses so your immune system can step in and get rid of the problem faster.

You can take a teaspoon or two of oil and let it roll down the back of your throat to help the healing process begin. You can also make a soothing, healing cough syrup to sweetly ease away the pain and lessen that urge to cough. It works well with colds, flu, sinus infections that disturb the throat, tonsilloliths, and even sore throats caused from overuse of your voice.

• 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup local raw honey
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil

Mix these together in a small saucepan and warm them on low heat. You only want to melt the ingredients, not cook them. Take the warm syrup with a spoon or mix it in warm water or tea and let the healing begin. You can also melt coconut oil into tea or vegetable broth directly to sip away the soreness in your throat.

Learn more about Charlie Pulsipher

Charlie Pulsipher

About Charlie Pulsipher

Charlie Pulsipher is a health and fitness enthusiast, writer, author, and neighborhood do-gooder. He shifted his education from Biochemistry to English Literature in an attempt to avoid math, but never stopped loving the natural world of the miniscule. He has published several fantasy and science fiction novels and helped others publish more down to earth books about natural foods. He can’t stop writing. He is probably happily tapping away on some keyboard even now.

Claims on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Information on this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Sunwarrior’s awesome expert writers do not replace doctors. Seek the advice of a medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or diet.

Sunwarrior likes to share. Please feel free to repost articles as long as you always link back to the original and credit the author.

19 Responses to “Coconut Oil for a Sore Throat”

1. Beth says:

I’ve had a cough for 3 weeks, and recently developed a sore throat so bad I went to urgent care, the doctor told me it is a viral infection and there is nothing to be done except aspirin and waiting it out. That was three days ago! My throat is at its worst today! I just found your site and I am really hoping this works. I cannot take this pain anymore, and the aspirin isn’t working now :(

2. Brenna says:

My son went to bed last night with a sore throat so we gargled with Himalayan salt, but he woke up still sore. I saw my coconut oil just sitting there beside my buckwheat honey and thought “I should google this”

3. tom says:

i would like to know do you take the mixture all in at one sitting? how often should you take it?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Usually one spoonful at a time spread throughout the day. The mixture above will last me about a day, using it whenever my throat feels its worst.

4. Manish Buddhdev says:

I have been suffering from sore throat for almost 20 days. Have no any other issues like cold cough or fever. Just swelling throat what is causing pain and irritation. Have been taking antibiotics advised by the doctor but seems not working well enough. Will your formula of coconut oil work ? Please suggest

5. Koo Large says:

Hi Charlie

I use coconut oil to moisturise my skin, had a sore throat last two days so took a spoonful of coconut oil at bedtime and woke up without a bad sore throat and my wheeze was better too.

I’m stunned at how quickly it worked, made me look it up which led me to your site.

We use it for eczema, hair conditioning, moisturiser, lip balm, smells gorgeous and leaves everything beautiful.

Definitely worth a try:))

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you, Koo. I’m glad to reaffirm what you learned by trying it out instinctively. You rock!

6. liz says:

I’m trying this finite! Too much pollen around SC.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

So hope it helps, Liz. You may also want to look at ginger, bromelain, and probiotics to help with allergies. :)

7. PY says:

Ive been having sore throat and cough for two days now. Stumble upon your site and I took your advice of taking a spoon of oil. It felt good and very soothing instantly…will repeat a few more times today and hope for the best!

8. Ephraim says:

Hi, Charlie.

I suspected that coconut oil might be good for a bad throat, and that’s what led me to your article.

However, I wonder, could I substitute apple cider vinegar instead of lemon juice? I find lemon too sharp and it tends to dry out the mouth generally, plus ACV just tastes better.

Regards and thanks.

9. Martin says:

Thanks I really needed this, I’m bogged down in bed with a seriously sore throat.