14 Foods for Healthy Lungs and Improved Breathing

Monday, April 7, 2014 @ 03:04 PM Charlie Pulsipher
14 Foods for Healthy Lungs and Improved Breathing 3.74/5 (74.82%) 456 votes

The lungs are essential for human life. They work almost tirelessly, pulling in air and dumping out what can’t be used over and over, day and night. Breathing brings in oxygen and expels carbon dioxide, a waste product of metabolism. Breathing is also essential to our ability to talk and sing.

girl_sit_ups_crunches_forest_picThe lungs are made of hundreds of thousands of branching tubes that end in tiny air sacs, or alveoli. There are over three hundred million of these tiny sacs in our lungs, offering roughly the surface area of a tennis court to keep up with the respiratory demands of the body. The membranes of these tiny air sacs are also thinner than tissue paper to maximize the exchange of gases.

Our lungs make up a large part of our immune system. Pollutants and infection-causing microbes are captured by mucus in the lungs and shuttled upward by tiny cilia for us to cough out or swallow. Sneezes are another way the lungs help rid us of infection or pollution, often before these invaders even pass beyond the sinuses.

The lungs are remarkable. They should be cared for. First and foremost, do not smoke. Smoking destroys the cilia that help remove infection and pollutants, resulting in clogged airways. Also avoid pollutants both indoors and out. This isn’t always possible, but you can do your part by driving less, using less electricity, using electrical stoves, and limiting exposure. Wear a respirator when painting or doing any hobbies that include dust or industrial gases.

Exercise is also important. It doesn’t necessarily strengthen the lungs as they rely on the diaphragm muscle, but any improvement of the cardiovascular system makes the job of the lungs easier. Do something active for 30 minutes each day to lighten the load on your lungs and increase the efficiency of oxygen transportation and metabolism. These 30 minutes can even be broken up throughout the day. Park further from the grocery store, take the stairs, get up from your desk and walk around the building, do some jumping jacks, walk your neighborhood, or even run in place for a bit. Anything is better than staying on the couch.

glass_ice_water_lemon_picWhat we eat may not directly affect the lungs, but our food indirectly touches them through the cardiovascular system and by providing antioxidant protection. A high fat diet has also been linked to a higher risk of developing lung cancer. On the other hand, eating fruits has been shown to lower these risks. Eating well goes hand in hand with exercise in keeping your lungs clear, healthy, and not overburdened. Fresh, raw foods are the best way to get the enzymes, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that will keep you breathing easy.

Water – Water plays a huge role in health and is the base of any cleansing action. Pure, clean water is essential to keeping blood flowing to and from the lungs. It also keeps our lungs hydrated and the mucus flowing. It may sound disgusting, but that mucus is important and needs to be the right consistency for the cilia to move it—along with toxins, microbes, and pollutants—out.

Garlic and Onions – These pungent foods are great for the heart and thus the lungs too. They reduce inflammation, lower cholesterol, and fight infection.

Ginger – This spice has anti-inflammatory properties and promotes the elimination of pollutants from the lungs.

Chili Peppers – Peppers are filled with capsaicin, the spicy compound that gives them their bite. Capsaicin improves blood flow, stimulates mucus membranes, and fights infection.

purple_cabbage_picCruciferous Vegetables – Cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, and kale have been shown to halt the progression of lung cancer and cut the risk of developing lung cancer in half. They are rich in chlorophyll that cleans and builds blood, and full of some very effective antioxidants.

Pomegranates – Pomegranate juice slows the growth of lung tumors. Pomegranates contain many antioxidants including ellagic acid, which is gaining strides in cancer research.

Turmeric – This spice is related to ginger with many of the same benefits. It also contains curcumin, a compound that encourages the self-destruction of cancer cells.

Apples – Flavonoids, vitamin E, and vitamin C all help the lungs function at their best. Apples are rich in all of these and those who eat several a week have healthier lungs.

Grapefruit – Naringin, a flavonoid in grapefruit, inhibits the activation of a cancer causing enzyme. White grapefruit contains a high amount of this flavonoid, though pink grapefruit has some too along with the antioxidant lycopene. Grapefruit is especially good at cleansing the lungs after quitting smoking.

mixed_nuts_imageBeans, Seeds, and Nuts – These all contain rich amounts of magnesium, a mineral that contributes to healthy lung function. They also provide essential fatty acids that are good for the cardiovascular system.

Carrots – These roots are rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, and lycopene, all antioxidants that affect lung health and lower the chances of developing lung disease.

Oranges – Citrus is rich in vitamin C and vitamin B6. These help the lungs transfer oxygen.

Pumpkin – Pumpkin is another food rich in beta carotene and vitamin C, like carrots.

Red Bell Pepper – These mild peppers are rich in vitamin C and the carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin. Carotenoids have been shown to cut the risks of developing lung cancer.

Charlie Pulsipher

About Charlie Pulsipher

Charlie Pulsipher is a health and fitness enthusiast, writer, author, and neighborhood do-gooder. He shifted his education from Biochemistry to English Literature in an attempt to avoid math, but never stopped loving the natural world of the miniscule. He has published several fantasy and science fiction novels and helped others publish more down to earth books about natural foods. He can’t stop writing. He is probably happily tapping away on some keyboard even now.

Claims on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Information on this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Sunwarrior’s awesome expert writers do not replace doctors. Seek the advice of a medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or diet.

Sunwarrior likes to share. Please feel free to repost articles as long as you always link back to the original and credit the author.

155 Responses to “14 Foods for Healthy Lungs and Improved Breathing”

1. Uday Kumar says:

Dear All,

I am smoking past 3 years today i quieted smoking pls give an suggestion to
    repair my lungs

Regards,
    Uday

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Read through the comments, Uday. I have answered this several times. You are on a good path and I wish you luck.

2. Ancia Loubser says:

Hello

I just want to say thank you for the information. I have sarcoidosis stage 2 and all the info really helps.I really found quick easy answers and I will start using the right and fresh fruit and vegetables to assist. Thank you for taking time to help others. I wish you all the best

Kind regards Ancia

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Glad I could be helpful, Ancia. Coconut oil, ginger, and turmeric may be helpful too for the inflammatory nature of sarcoidosis. Mushrooms and oats may play a role in the immune function aspect as well. Good luck to you!

3. emmanuel says:

doc i have been smoking since i was 15 and now i am 40 still i want to leave smoking and want to improve the state of my lungs what food should i take after i quit smoking.

4. aiza cea says:

sir i have a pulmonary granoluma…what should i do wat are the foods im going to eat

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Anti-inflammatory foods may help some, but you will have to work with your doctor as you start adding them on to make sure it doesn’t affect you in unforeseen ways. I am a fan of turmeric, ginger, coconut oil, cinnamon, and fresh fruits and vegetables.

5. Reaksmey says:

Hello Sir,

My uncle has lung cancer stage 4. Thailand doctor said that 50% can cure. Does this illness can cure 100% or not? If not, how to delay spreading out of virus in body? Do the kind of food above can help some?

Any ideas related to this illness, recommend me please!

Best Regards and Thanks,
    Reaksmey.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

The 50% the doctor is talking about is a survival rate. About 52% pf people diagnosed with lung cancer live five years or longer from the date of diagnosis. People can be cured 100% among that 52% of survivors. You are going to want to help your uncle work with the doctor, eat better, exercise, and follow the treatment plans you are given. There are some herbs that can help, like turmeric, but you need to make sure any natural treatments do not class with the treatments your doctor prescribes. That can be dangerous. I wish you and your uncle the best.

6. el says:

hi sir. the person that i care about right now is suffering from a lung sickness , he has water in his lungs and i really dont have any idea about this type of lung sickness and how to help this person. can u enlighten me about this sickness and what can i do to help this person?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Sorry, el, not much I can tell you without more specifics. Work with your doctor and know that water in the lungs is often associated with heart disorders. There is much you can do for both lungs and heart that involve the foods above and many more along with what exercise they are able to do and possibly some medication. Good luck. Sorry again that I am not more help.

7. Prasanth says:

Hi doctor iam 39 years old ,i have pain at under thé stomach,more than 3 months,please say me what is thé solution For that problème.thank you

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Abdominal pain has way too many causes. You really need to see a doctor in person and run some tests. Sorry.

8. mann says:

Dear doctor
    My son is 2years old , he got chest infection @birth ,doctors gave him antibiotics and after that for one year he was fine but in this year he got easily cold and cough with wheezing sounds. Doctors called he is asthmatic , this time he got cold I gave him antibiotics and prednisolone as doctors prescribed but he is still wheezing its not going properly . He is too young to give high amount of steroids could you please recommend me anything natural (any nuts , fruits or vitamins like that )so I can improve his lungs health
    Thanks

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Ginger, turmeric, coconut oil, pineapple, and fresh fruits and vegetables all have some good anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that may be helpful, but you should continue to work with the doctors at the same time. I wish you and your son the best!

• Naumi says:

Hi , I am having air hunger from past 4 months . Doctor have diagnosed that it might be because of imflammation due to autoimmune disorder. But there is minimal improvement . Please advise

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Use some of the anti-inflammatory foods I’ve listed above and add a good probiotic to the mix too. Probiotics can sometimes help with autoimmune diseases. Exercise and healthy eating help too. Good luck and continue to work with your doctor as you try these new things.

9. gurnie says:

My mother has Pulmonary Fibrosis. Do you think these foods will help her??

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Some of these foods might help with the inflammation that accompanies and contributes to this. This is not a cure, but it anti-inflammatory diets can extend lifespan. Work with your doctor and hammer out a plan with her/him. Good luck.

10. Bobby says:

blueberries ARE ALSO HEALTHY FOR THE LUNGS BECAUSE THEY HAVE A LOT OF ANTIOXIDANTS

11. Dave says:

Hello I have an issue with my lungs and respiratory system. I have now developed a very bad cough that rarely seems to go away…..I know my cough and respiratory problems are related to bad allergies I have. I am allergic to pollen, trees, grasses, dust, mold, pets etc……. Now my cough keeps getting worse and I have noticed that it gets really bad when I am exposed to air conditioning… I really need to get a handle on this as the problem is just getting worse over time….I have no idea what I can do to cure this. Can you please give me some ideas, I have tried everything to cure my allergies…..but now that it has developed into this respiratory and cough problem it is really worrying me……

Thanks for any help…

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

There are some lung disorders that are triggered by changes in humidity and temperature, like Reactive Airway Disease, so the AC and wind may have something to do with it. It can also be that the AC isn’t properly filtered and you are allergic to the dust, hair, or pollen that’s being spread. You could also be allergic to one of the chemicals used in air conditioning, like propylene glycol or many more. You may want to talk to a doctor and try to narrow down what allergy you have. In the mean time, invest in ginger. It reduces inflammation, helps open airways, and can help combat many allergies. I like it as a tea. You may also want to look at turmeric and pineapple. Good luck!

12. Dave says:

Hello. I have suffered from allergies my whole life. I have been developing a cough that comes and goes…It gets worse at different times of the year depending on the season…..Here is the key…..It always gets worse when I am in an environment that has air conditioning. I was down south last year and it got so bad I had to return home from my vacation early…. This problem is getting worse over time and not better….I have tried almost everything to cure my allergies……I totally feel that my chronic cough is allergy related……Can you please tell me what I can do to cure my cough? I really need to do something it is starting to get out of hand. Also please note as strange as this might sound….If my cough is bad and I am driving even if I roll down the window to get air because it is hot, the blowing of the wind actually makes my cough worse….I am lost at what to do. Please help. Thank you.

13. Chirag says:

Hello sir , i started smoking at 18 n now i stopped it i m 24th now. I have some cough prob. N when i speak very very loudly constantly dn also cough prob. I stop smoking b4 1 week . So now wt should i do in exercise n food ?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Much above and below will help. Read it all. Do what exercise you can, probably beginning with walking, and avoid smoking.

14. Rome says:

Good morning doc
    I want to ask I have lung spots before when I get the result of my X-ray when I noticed that I prepare to go the municipal doctor to consult about that because it’s happened dung my medical abroad I failed that medical so I what to know if I try again for applying abroad how many percent sure it’s clear ????
    I forgot to tell that I undergo and done my medicine more than 6 months ??? Anti TB TNX DOC

15. ivy rose tayo says:

hi po sir, i just wanna ask if there something thant i can do,cause i have an empyema on my lungs,the doctor said that i should undergo thoracentesis,but i dont want to,Because it may be at risk?… what will be your advice sir?..

thank you po!

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You may want to talk to another doctor, just for a second opinion and see what can be done for you. There is some risk, but not really much, involved with that procedure, so if another doctor calls for it, you may want to go ahead. It will help them determine your treatment and it may relieve pressure if you do have a lot of fluid building up around your lungs. In the mean time, maintain a proper weight, eat well, exercise moderately, and good luck.

16. saurabh rawat says:

hello doc !
    i am having pulmonary hypertension , please tell me tow cure and what should do to reduce it ??

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

There isn’t any cure as of yet, but there are some treatments that help. You will want to work with your doctor on these. There are also some natural treatments that show some promise. Anti-inflammatories may protect the lungs from damage. Think raw garlic, turmeric, pineapple, ginger, cinnamon, and many more. Good luck.

17. Chelsi says:

Hi there! I would like an outside opinion on my symptoms.
    -born with hear murmur was never serious so left alone
    - have had asthma/breathing issues miniscule/mild never severe until a year ago
    -have been a smoker ages 17-21
    -quit smoking completely
    -vegan 2 years vegetarian 7 years
    -normally very active outdoors & ballet dancer
    -ever since a trip to Vegas for my 21st birthday I came back with a severe sinus infection that built up into me needing an inhaler because I was unable to breathe my body/immune system kept shutting down was always & still am always sick
    -my immune system is shot, I just caught whiff of my roommates flu right in the middle of my asthmatic phase again making me drop tremendous weight for the idk how many times I have never been over 102lbs this past 6 months normally I weigh at 108/110 I’m 4″11 I can’t keep weight on
    - I have Been on nebulizer treatments, I have to take the Q-Var inhaler as well as my emergency abuderal inhaler I just finished my 2/3 prescription of Z packs, zenith, numerous antibiotics for the infection that is clearly not being killed. I spit and blow my nose a ton in order to clear my airways I just feel like I can’t breath it’s all wet-regular clear saliva/spit comes out never infectious looking. I also have been given numerous predizone prescriptions not a fan it does nothing but create bad side effects
    -my latest antibiotic was making me see spots & colors with severe eye pulsing ( that feeling you get when you’re about to faint or you feel disorientated) predizone makes me high strung severe head aches and shakes I also never could sleep while on it
    -I continue to get the same treatment with same results. My nebulizer w/ a steroid will make me throw up sometimes it helps for a few days then I’m back to wet lungs! I continue to get a built up wet cough wheezing behind my chest after a few days starts to feel heavy and all of a sudden my airway is not happy
    -I take my precautions I have a humidifier I drink tons of water I eat fruits & veggies (flavonoids etc) I walk my dog that’s the only exercise I really do aside from Hikes or indoor mild cardio
    -no I have not seen a pulmonary doctor yet I do not have medical insurance
    -i believe there is more I myself can do I just need more help or assist in what’s best for the body holistically or what would you suggest?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Wow, Chelsi, you don’t come at me with easy questions. I think you should definitely be looking at probiotics, natural anti-inflammatories, and some immune boosters. With all the antibiotics you’ve been on, your good bacteria will have been decimated. You want to resupply them. You will also want to look at ginger, coconut oil, turmeric, garlic, astragalus, and mushrooms. I get sinus infections too, thanks to a bad root canal that likes to gather bacteria to it. I’ve had good luck with these. I also use a food-safe peppermint oil directly on the roof of my mouth and gums a few times a week. It’s amazing how quickly that kicks those out. You may also want to explore some antiparasitics if things don’t clear up and you will want to work with your doctors while you try herbal remedies. Good luck. I hope something works for you soon.

18. Loraine de guzman says:

Hi doc, i had a TB history last year. I had my medication for 6 months. And now, some sort of allergy got me and now im having a dry cough. I am worried what if the TB will come back again. Pls advice. Thank you.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Unfortunately tuberculosis reinfection is somewhat common and hard to fight when it happens as the bacteria becomes resistant to the treatment. You will want to work closely with your doctor to see if it has returned or if you are just experiencing allergies or a cold, and then follow what he or she determines is your best treatment options.

• Altair says:

May some Essential oils by inhalations and oral ingestion could help.

Rosemary, Thyme, Pepper mint, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree,…

Warning some essential oil can’t be ingested or inhaled! Always read the notice or ask at your pharmacist :)

19. ket says:

I m ket.. I use to smoke when I was just 12. Now i m 17.Then I quit smoking.then after quitting I m facing difficulties in taking breathing completely. Just tell me what to do..????

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

It’s going to take some time to detox your body and your lungs, Ket. Try to eat well, exercise moderately, and be patient with yourself. Good luck.

20. alvin legion says:

what specifically alcohol that is good for lungs?, nor wine?.. what vol. of alcohol..
    thanks! this article is such a good help.! more power and Godbless..

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Alcohol and lung disease have only recently begun to be linked, Alvin. More studies need to be done to explore exactly how much, what kinds, and how often you drink alcohol affects you. Alcohol tends to deplete the lungs of vital antioxidants. Occasional use is probably fine.

• KDC says:

Alcohol tends to be dehydrating, which is why we have hangovers….dehydration…..so drink lots of water before retiring after a big night of drinking, avoid alcohol in the sun as it increases risk and degree of sunburn.

When you are dehydrated, your lungs dilate, taking in less air.

21. chito jaucian says:

i have an excess fat tissue (lipoma?) in my left neck, it is growing very slowly for the past 26 yrs, what is the best medicines or treatment for this? thanks.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Sorry, Chito, lipomas are pretty resistant to treatment. Sometimes massage and warm compresses help break up the fatty deposit, but that’s pretty rare. Most of the time you must leave them or remove them completely. I have heard some people have some luck with dietary changes away from processed foods and I’ve heard some talk of apple cider vinegar being helpful. Sage and turmeric may be beneficial as well. Exercise may reduce lipomas too, even though they have little to do with your weight, the oxygen and increased blood flow may break them down more. Good luck. Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

22. abdul habib dada says:

I have infection in one lung.ihave stopped smoking n now I eat galic/ginger/fruits n veg. I hastated exercise. Doctor has given me antibiotic. Will moderate wine oor drink aggrevate. Adv thks

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Sounds like you and your doctor are on the right track. Alcohol can contribute to lung infections, so keep it very moderate and you are probably okay. Good luck.

• Shell sea says:

Wine or drink interferes with the effectiveness of antibiotics, also, when taking antibiotics you should supplement a probiotic to balance your digestion. Antibiotics kill the bad AND good bacterium in your system, such as those needed for proper digestion.

• ange says:

Im Angelie i would like to ask if i have a lung disease cos i learnd smoking when i was 20 bit i started smoking soo bad when i was 23…but now im 25 so do u think doc i have lung disease?…i get easily tired when I walked specially when its uphill…kindly advise me doc thank you godbless

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Smoking can definitely rob you of your breath, Angelie. You may not have lung disease yet, but you probably want to quit smoking and take care of yourself. Good luck!

23. chandran says:

I am having COPD stage 3.i know not much can be done.is there any advice me from this stage to stagnate my conditions.Thanks

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

There’s always something you can do. Antioxidants are important, Chandran. There are many studies that show improved lung function in people who eat more fresh vegetables and fruits. Go for the brightly colored ones like greens, pineapple, berries, and orange veggies. Ginger and coq10 could also be helpful. Exercise is important. It improves lung function and oxygen efficiency. Breathing techniques like those used in meditation, self defense, and yoga can help you control your breathing better while also eliminating stress. Good luck!

24. Marcial says:

I used to take those veges and fruits mentioned above..specially now it motivates me more to make it as a hobbit eating those cause right now im suffering from cough ( dry cough) at night. It makes me worried cause it started last two years ago on and off..i did an xrays before but the doctors always told me that my lungs are okay, they gave me medicine which cost too much for me but didnt work.. Honestly i am worried right now about my health..any suggestions doc about my health problems? Thanks and more power to you

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Work with your doctor while trying to eat well, exercise, and avoid pollutants and allergens. A dry cough may be helped by drinking more clean water, showering before bed, or using steam and essential oils to hydrate and open airways. Good luck.

25. annu says:

Hi my daughter is suffering from.cystic fibrosis any specific lung related suggestions apart from this for her health please

26. Tisa says:

I just want to say thank you for the information it was very helpful. I have suffered with a rare lung disease called pulmonary fibrosis, I’ve had trouble breathing with any activity I do.I mainly have flare ups that would cause me to have multiple spasm. Any activity increase moderate to severe and sometimes I will have to go to the ER just to get treatment. with the information that I found on your website has given me more of a better opportunity to exercise like I used to and do other things at my pace again thank you!

27. Dimples says:

Thank you for sharing Sir. God bless

28. S.Kumar says:

Hi,

It is really impressive. Thanks for sharing this wonderful article. It will help many people affected by lungs problem and other cardiovascular diseases.

29. marco says:

Good day sir Charlie, thank you for the very helpful post related for having a healthy Lungs.
    It will really help me so much, because when I was a child I have a weak lungs and during my high school years the doctors said that my lungs has fluids (water). Sir what are common causes of having that to much fluids in our lungs.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

There are many, many things that can cause fluid in your lungs, Marco, but most have to do with the condition of your cardiovascular system. You really will want to work with your doctor to narrow down the causes and build a plan to prevent it from happening too often. Good luck.

30. mohammed says:

Hi,
    I’ve slight pain on right side of my shoulder and which is close to my neck when taking deep breath inside! I’m 18 years old, I used to smoke often.but now i’m trying to quit. i’ve tonselates also. What to do with this pain? Is that pleurisy or any other symptom of lung diseases. What are precaution should be taken? Thanks!

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

It could be pleurisy, but it could also be a blood clot, strain, sprain, and many more. I think you’ll have to talk to a doctor to make sure you know exactly what is happening and how to fix it. Good luck with quitting smoking and living healthier! You can do it!

• Geoph says:

Hi, I have had the same problem now for the past two years. I am 21 and I started smoking when I was 17. I stopped when I turned 19 due to not having the money for them anymore, haha. After I stopped smoking I started getting symptoms that made me feel awful. I could barely take in a deep breath, it hurt my right shoulder just like yours, it radiated down my back on the right side, and I could even feel it in my right arm. I ended up going to the doctors and went though xrays to see if I had any problems. I ended up being diagnosed with pleurisy. In between your lungs and ribs you have a lining. Inside that lining is a small amount of fluid that acts as a lubricant when you breathe. When you have pleurisy that fluid gets kind of sticky and the lining will get inflamed. It no longer acts as a lubricant and causes pain while breathing. My lungs also expanded in size, my trachea hardened, and my alveoli are damaged. All that over the course of two years! I stopped smoking, started exercising, and eating right. I have some of my lung function back now. I am capable of taking in a deep breath. Even though I can do that I still have pain in my right shoulder which I have learned to live with. There is a possibility that it will never go away but I hope it does one day. My advice is to give the cigarettes up cold turkey, go to the doctors, and start to get healthy. You’re young and you might improve faster than I have.

31. deepak tiwari says:

Hi.my wife is suffering with lungs fibrosys.doctor says it’s due to tuberculosuys and that is cured but that fibrosys will remain now and at every weather change she suffers from coughing specially while sleeping.she says if she takes ling breath it’s ok but short breath create uneasyness and creates cough in neck.she has this problem since past 7 years .pls advice

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Deepak, fibrosis is scarring of the lungs that is, unfortunately, rarely reversible. You can work to improve her lung efficiency with deep breathing techniques and exercise. Some of these foods will aid with any inflammation that remains, but you will want to work with your doctor as you try new things. I have also heard some success with cordyceps, apple cider vinegar, aloe, a few lesser known Chinese herbs, and food grade hydrogen peroxide diluted in water, but these are all anecdotal and hard to say if they will help your wife. Good luck!

• Keeno says:

Hi Sir Charlie, What do you mean by “rarely reversible”?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

It means that once you have scar tissue in your lungs, it doesn’t usually heal or go away.

• Keeno says:

Hi Sir Charlie, thanks for the reply..

i got an xray last month, and it says there that i have a fibrosis scarring in my upper right tube. i remembered when i was in college year 2011, i was diagnosed with pneumonia and tuberculosis.. so i was thinking it was the cause of my fibrosis now..

im not a smoker but 4 years ago, i dont really had an enough sleep and didnt eat much.. and so, my immune system became weaker.. at first it was an ordinary cough and lasted into pneumonia and tb.. but i was cured and then live a normal life like before.

3 weeks ago, i got an awful flu infection with my nasal and……….also coughing.. it was really a sticky phlegm but easy to come out… my doctor prescribed me a strong antibiotic. 7 days to take.. after a week there was an improvement.. a little bit sick i guess until i was recovered..

i feel better now, but sometimes i noticed that there are still some mucus when i spit out.. sometimes, back pain at the end of the day.. im thinking that my lungs will not back into normal since i have already fibrosis..

im observing my health now.. im doing exercise – some dumbbells and push-ups especially, jogging.. drinking more water everyday.. eating a lot, i mean eating habit 3x a day.. drinking more fluids too rich in vitamin c.. im also drinking ginger juice every other night… im also thinking right now to add fruits and vegetable salad on my diet.. quite expensive..

next month im gonna go back to my doctor to have my xray again to see if there is difference..

32. NIRANJAN B T says:

Hello ,
    I inhaled some gas fumes (may be sulphuric acid gas ) for short time during battery work , after this I got upper chest burning sensation and irritation, but I am breathing normally, no other problem .am scared about this plz help me

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You will want to talk to your doctor. Most lung diseases come from frequent or long-term exposure. This means you are probably fine, but it is always good to seek professional advice. Get plenty of fresh air and avoid pollution or further exposure. Light exercise will improve lung function. Some of the anti-inflammatory foods above will ease the discomfort while you heal. Good luck!

33. Jessa Mae Dalumpines says:

I have granuloma vs.coiled blood vessels L Apex it is serious? What are the food that im going to eat to improve my lungs

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

There can be many causes for granuloma. It can come from fungal infections, pollution, chronic allergies, and other diseases. You will want to work very closely with your doctor to narrow down the causes for you while you clean up your diet and your environment. I suggest talking to your doctor about anti-inflammatory foods, like ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, and fresh fruits and vegetables. Good luck, Jessa.

34. Andrew says:

I gave up smoking by using a patch for the first day. Then i went cold turkey, but still had a patch in my pocket just in case i ran down the shop to buy a packet. Just having the patch in my pocket gave me the strength to give up. Now a non smoker for 8 years.

35. sumathi says:

This is really fantastic article.

36. cabrena says:

I have recently quit smoking, after smoking cigarettes for 12 years. Thank you for the article, any of these foods more then another that would be good for me to use? Thank you

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Congratulations, Cabrena! That is an amazing accomplishment! I hope the article help you. Water is the easiest to start using more often. I’m a huge fan of ginger and turmeric at the moment, so they probably get my favorite marks. I also cook with a lot of red bell pepper, peppers, and garlic because they are easy to use and delicious. Good luck!

37. Arti says:

Thank u sir. its very nice article. my 3 yrs.son is frequently suffering from cough. i think he is suffering from dust allergy..too.. and in the midnight he cant even sleep. how can i help my child.. now i m giving him homeopathy treatment.. can you please help us.. i m very helpless..

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You really will want to talk to your doctor about treatments, Arti. There are just too many things that could be causing his coughs to easily recommend anything here. I wish you luck.

38. CIL says:

MR.CHARLE IM HAPPY THAT YOUR HELPING PEOPLE TO CURE THERE SICK I HAVE SOMETHING CAN ASK. ALL VEG.YOU SAY THAT GOOD FOR THE LUNG LIKE BROCCOLI CABBAGE AND OTHER VEG. NEEDED TO COOK OR NOT. THANK YOU

39. Abdul says:

I know lungs r important organ,and it cannot be replaced ,so keeping it healthy and strong is prime job of each n every person.

40. Evelyn says:

Hi
    I was been going back to the hospital every year especially when winter starts, I have pneumonia before and was admitted once. 2 days ago I also went to the doctor and again have nebulizer again.
    Have even high bp I don’t want to take medicines always, is there any best food and diet for me to maintain in order to stop the routine of going back to the hospital every winter time..
    Thanks a lot..

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

There are a ton of different foods that may help you, Evelyn. I try to bolster my immune system with silver, echinacea, goldenseal, ginger, and coconut oil. I also use hawthorn and dandelion for high blood pressure. Good luck and I hope you stay out of the hospital this year.

41. Muhammad Ahsin Awan says:

Sir
    I want to stop smoking and stop marijuana smoking because its damage my lungs …. And i not feeling good without this please give me good advice

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You can see below that Terri used acupuncture. There are many ways to stop, just make sure you tell your friends and family that you are quitting. They will hold you accountable and support you as you make this huge transition. Vitamin C helps remove the nicotine and reduce cravings. Keeping your teeth and mouth clean will help too. Brush and use mouthwash several times a day as you go through the process. Seek professional help if you need to as well. Good luck. You can do it!

42. Terri says:

I recently quit smoking after over 40 years (1/2 pack per day). I used acupuncture and just stopped with no withdrawals, bad cravings, etc. I found this sight and am incorporating some new items into my health smoothies in the morning. I have found that grapefruit (1/2) in the smoothie is helping to bring all the gunk out of my lungs faster. Thank you for publishing this information!

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You are so welcome, Terri. Congratulations as well for quitting. That is monumental! I love grapefruit. I am currently using grapefruit seed extract myself.

43. Miano says:

Thanks Charlie..my son inhaled his first pop during his birth which affected his lungs..Thanks for your advises on food for lungs.

44. Robert Dandy De Dios says:

i work in an eletronics company and where expose. everyday from chemical vapors
    such as amonia, H2O2 etc.. . i need to take care of my lungs ill try these foods. any advice?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Always wear protective gear when working with chemicals and avoid inhaling direct fumes as often as possible. Some of these foods may help, but also make sure you are getting plenty of fresh air and a good amount of exercise. With your exposure to dangerous chemicals, you want to make sure your lungs are as healthy as possible. Work with your doctor and make sure he or she knows about your exposure and risks, so you can stay on top of any problems before they arise.

45. Arunachalam says:

Sir,
    In morning if i spit it comes in black with grey colour.In checked in lab they gave the report No Growth in culture, but still spit in black colour

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Sounds like you are being exposed to something that’s causing the black color, like smoke, soot, or mold. Try figuring out what you are exposed to and then bring that information to the doctors. Good luck!

46. Rylie says:

hello, I smoke and ive been having itchy/irritated lungs as well as a mild cough. ive had bronchitis twice before, once before I started smoking once after. I don’t want to stop smoking but I don’t want the cough and irritated lungs to continue either. do I have chronic bronchitis or just a smokers cough and besides eating the foods you listed in the article what all should I do? hope to hear back from you, great article.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You probably know what I’m going to say, Rylie. If you really want to avoid itchy and irritated lungs, you are going to have to stop smoking. All the best foods in the world will not counteract the damage caused by repeatedly drawing smoke and chemicals into your lungs. Sorry.

• Rylie says:

ill try vaporizing but I wont stop, I like smoking too much. thanks for the fast reply.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Vapor and e-cigarettes are better, though still not really all that healthy. I hope the foods above help you feel better. You may want to look at some anti-inflammatory foods and antibiotic type foods too like ginger, turmeric, coconut oil, garlic, and ionic silver. Good luck!

• Rylie says:

thanks for the advice, ill definitely try eating/drinking the things you suggested.
            I still occasionally use my inhaler when my coughing gets too harsh and I drink herbal tea and use recolla cough drops. I really appreciate you replying.

47. Helen says:

Dear Charlie,

Thank you for this article, I find this very helpful. I’m currently on pure veggies and fruits (lettuce, apples, grapes, bananas, cucumber, guavas, pumpkin and sunflower seeds. I get my rice and meat only on weekends. Do you think I am doing the right way? I am very anxious of keeping my lungs healthy as I have this so called bronchiectasis which doctors say is a permanent disorder affecting my lungs.

Looking forward to your response.

With best regards,

Helen

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You are welcome, Helen. Bronchiectasis is rough, but usually manageable with good diet. Sounds like you are on the right track. You’ll want to keep working with your doctors to make sure it doesn’t progress any further and watch how you feel and any changes in weight, breathing, color of your mucus, and coughing. You’ll want to stick to lean meats and unprocessed grains. Brown rice is better than white. Quinoa, amaranth, and groats could be good grains to add to your life too. Ginger and pineapple should help keep down inflammation, which is one of the root causes of the scarring and airway enlargement you want to avoid. Chia, flax, and purslane are good sources of healthy fats, along with the other seeds you are using. You may want to try a small amount of coconut oil. You should avoid most saturated fats, but coconut oil tends to reduce inflammation and has some antibacterial properties to reduce infection, but you’ll want to test it out slowly, work with your doctor, and make sure it doesn’t cause any problems. I wish you luck, Helen.

• Helen says:

Hello Charlie,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry it took me a bit long to get back to the site. I’m pleased to hear your advice and the additional list of good food for me. Yes, I’m closely watching my mucus and keep my cough syrup always on my side. I also regularly check my weight and make sure am breathing easily. I had my last appointment with my doctor on 10th July and he said my weight, breathing, pulse rate, heart beat are excellent. I told him about my diet and he also approved of this. My next appointment is on 8th January when I will have a regular chest X-ray.

Thank you for your encouraging reply. Now I can comfortably proceed with my diet and try those you have mentioned.

More power and best regards,

Helen

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I’m glad I could be a small help to you, Helen. Good luck with everything and let us know how it all goes for you. Thank you.

• Helen says:

Sure Charlie, will keep you posted. Thanks once again!
            This week I added ginger to my raw mixtures. It tastes great when mixed with the rest.
            Have a lovely day!

48. Roschella Caturan says:

My mother is suffering for blood bleeding and she’s difficult for breathing.we bring her for many doctor’s but we get same answer,they said my mother nothing problem for her lungs..but why like?my mother is still blood bleeding until now..please help us for this case,we really dont know what we do..then she always say her back is pain..hope and i wish u can give me an explanation for my mother’s case.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

That’s a really tough one, Roschella. I’m not sure how I can help you either if so many doctors can’t find anything wrong. I’m also not entirely sure what is bleeding from your description above. It could be anything from something fairly innocuous like a simple infection or parasites to something more dangerous like broken ribs, lung cancer, or even plasma cell cancer. You need to find a doctor who is willing to dig deeper and figure out what if happening rather than just tell you nothing is wrong. Obviously something is wrong. There are some diets she can follow to rule out parasites or some other causes, but really you need a better doctor. Good luck!

49. ravichandra says:

My son is suffering from chronic lung disease from his birth.doctors told that problem will solve when he gains weight.but he is now 8.5 kgs at the age of 30 months.and from last 5 months his weight is between 8 and 9 kgs only.please tell us the vegetarian food to grow his lungs and weight.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Sorry, ravichandra, this one might be beyond me. You will want to work closely with your doctor to make sure your son isn’t allergic to anything and is getting the calories he needs.

50. Prabhjeet singh says:

I want to know diet for Interstitial lungs disease (ILD) patient. my mother is suffering from this disease. please do reply

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

ILD can be caused by several different things. You will want to work with her doctor to target the specific cause affecting your mother. Many people lose weight with this disease, so make sure she is eating small meals more often, nutrient dense foods that contain natural anti-inflammatories are important. Think ginger, turmeric, coconut oil, leafy greens, and fresh fruits. Exercise is also important, even if it feels impossible. Even just walking a little each day can improve oxygen efficiency. I wish you and your mother luck, Prabhjeet, and hope you and her doctor can do her some good.

51. Carolyn G. says:

Don’t forget cilantro. It’s great at clearing mucus. My lung doctor — originally from India — recommended it.

52. Skyler says:

I can not understand why Watercress is not on this list.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I had to stop somewhere, but you are very right. Watercress is very good for lung and respiratory health. Thank you for pointing it out, Skyler.

53. Judy Vance says:

I Am on oxygen all the time is it true that a person can get off of it and not have to use it any more would like to know what to do to help me with this problem would like to be free from it please let me know what I must do thanks…..Judy Vance

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You will really have to work closely with your doctor, Judy. Some people can go off oxygen, but it really depends on the underlying disease, your health, your ability to be active, your diet, and so much more.

• stephanie says:

i am on oxygen all the time. I have pulmonary hypertension, asthma and sarcoid. What foods will help my lungs and immune system. I do exersise and i watch my diet. sometimes i can breathe without the assistance of the oxygen especially when i exercise. I take portable oxygen with me when i am outside and sometimes go for 30 minutes to an hour without it. With the help of God I plan to get off it. I am a special case to my docotors. Please help!

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Most of the foods above will help with inflammation and immune system, especially ginger, turmeric, and garlic. I’d add cinnamon and mushrooms to the list. Keep up with the exercise and good luck to you!

54. Glenn Bolger says:

Too often this info is messed up with the technical, hyperbole or marketing gobbligook. Thank you, concise, clear, short and to the point, the way of a good speech or lecture. Thanks again and hats off to you.

55. marlon tomanengMarlon Tomaneng says:

Super nice article. Thank you for posting.

56. val says:

IS organic extra virgin coconut oil bad for lungs

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Not that I know of, Val. It reduces inflammation so I’d expect it to be good for the lungs, as long as you aren’t inhaling it. I use it to help clear my sinuses fairly often.

• efarmant says:

How do you use coconut oil to clear your sinuses?

• Kathryn M. says:

You can use coconut oil for oil pulling. You can google for instructions for oil pulling. You essentially have oil in your mouth for a few minutes for mouth health. I do it and it also seems to pull stuff out of my sinuses. I use coconut oil.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I swish it around my mouth for several minutes. I have a bad root canal that causes problems with my sinuses. This helps. I have also used a little coconut oil in a neti pot on occasion.

• Jal says:

Oils of all kinds will cause lipemia in the blood which makes you feel slow and stodgy. While not affecting the lungs directly like dairy, they’re no bueno in the diet.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Coconut oil tend to not do this as much since the medium chain triglycerides are absorbable and usable as they are without having to be altered like most other oils. Still a good idea to go easy on it.

57. dot says:

Great article.

58. Steven says:

My dog has blasto in her lungs, i am going to try some of these foods after i see which is safe for dogs.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Always a good idea to verify what dogs can have, Steven. I’m so sorry your little friend is suffering. I also suggest you try coconut oil. It’s very good for a dog’s skin and coat, but also has some anti-fungal properties that might help. Good luck!

• Marta Young says:

Pumpkin and broccoli will be fine for your dog, but again in moderation as too much fibre can cause digestive distress (which will leave you cleaning up green and orange mess). Onions are definately a no-no and only small amounts of garlic. Chili peppers tend to be aversive to dogs, so I wouldn’t try feeding these at all. Nuts in very small quantities as, again, may cause digestive distress. As Charlie says above, depending on the size of your dog, a teaspoon to tablespoon of coconut oil in your dogs food or kong every day will do no harm.

• Joe says:

Hi Steven,

I started preparing our dogs food at home – I’ve seen many improvements, so I suggest you start if you haven’t already.

Out of the list garlic, onions (and leeks etc) are not good for dogs as they have a chemical that damages the blood. It happens slowly though, so a little here and there is no problem. Garlic has much less, so I do add that to the food (superfood for the lungs and anti cancer), but you have to watch the quantity – google for some recomendations.

Pomegranite can irritate some dogs stomachs and make them vomit – the same with anything spicy such as chilli peppers.

Beans have to be very well cooked, but can be a good source of protein.

Seeds and nuts make great snacks in moderation.

And probably the star of the show is turmeric. Many dogs owners give this to their dogs with amazing results, especially against lumps – benign and malignant. Again, Google for the correct quantities, and also have a look on Earth Clinic.

There are many recommendations for homemade dog food on the net – most of which contradicting! Suffice to say that dogs are not obligate carnivores like cats and do not need meat at every meal. Meat bases are a good idea, but phytochemicals are also important. I tend to make a stew with meat and veg, with herbs and turmeric thrown in as well. I avoid high glycemic foods, but they do well on a bit of rice with it as they’re active. Research well before you try anything!

Good luck!

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Wow, thank you so very much for this thorough look at all the foods and tailoring them for dogs, Joe!

• Kaie Jones says:

Consult your vet, first. Onions and garlic are toxic to dogs, as are grapes and chocolate. People have different chemistry from our canine family members.

• Mary says:

Do not under any circumstances feed your dog broccoli, it will cause renal failure and is toxic to dogs. Also do not feed onion, garlic, rhubarb, nuts, chocolate to name a few.