Is Coconut Oil Good for Skin?

Thursday, August 1, 2013 @ 08:08 AM Charlie Pulsipher
Is Coconut Oil Good for Skin? 4.48/5 (89.60%) 25 votes

Coconut oil is a unique substance, a plant-based oil that is solid and white at room temperature, but melts into a clear oil with just a couple degrees of warmth. Coconut oil contain saturated fats, but most of these are in the form of medium chain triglycerides, short segments of healthy fats that the body seriously loves, uses for quick energy, and doesn’t store. In fact this saturated fat actually speeds up metabolism. This makes this delicious tasting and smelling oil a great supplement to any diet whether you want to lose weight, build muscle, or just have more energy throughout the day.

is_coconut_oil_good_for_skin_imageCoconut oil has a million uses. We’ve outlined 50 of what we think are the best uses for coconut oil, but today we want to focus in on skin. The skin is our largest organ and it relies on our pores, sweat, and oil glands to stay cool, hydrated, and clean. So how does coconut oil come into play?

Coconut oil is very good at hydrating skin. It sinks in deep, conditions, moisturizes, and softens skin. It isn’t pumped full of water or petroleum byproducts like many commercial cleansers or lotions either. Skin is kept clean by an oily substance called sebum. When sebum mixes with too much dirt, bacteria, and dead skin cells it can clog pores and lead to acne and other blemishes. Coconut oil naturally clears away dirt, grime, and dead skin cells. It even has some antibacterial properties, killing off harmful bacteria.

Coconut oil is the all-in-one natural solution to all your skin problems. It soothes bug bites, speeds healing, helps with rashes, gets rid of flaking skin, softens and shrinks wrinkles, protects against sun damage, keeps tans longer, acts as an antioxidant to prevent cellular aging, and so much more. It removes makeup easily and even makes the perfect massage oil.

Make sure you pick up organic, pure, extra virgin coconut oil and start small. Allergies are extremely rare, but test how you feel with it on a small bit of your skin and then move up from there. Use it in your cooking too; the beneficial fats work internally to fight inflammation, hydrate, and nourish cells too.

Charlie Pulsipher

About Charlie Pulsipher

Charlie Pulsipher is a health and fitness enthusiast, writer, author, and neighborhood do-gooder. He shifted his education from Biochemistry to English Literature in an attempt to avoid math, but never stopped loving the natural world of the miniscule. He has published several fantasy and science fiction novels and helped others publish more down to earth books about natural foods. He can’t stop writing. He is probably happily tapping away on some keyboard even now.

202 Responses to “Is Coconut Oil Good for Skin?”

1. Bryan says:

I think there is some mis-information taking place here. Most knowledgeable commentators are of the opinion that pure coconut oil is not recommended on its own for external use, since, unlike other oils such as Argan, Moringa, and Shea Butter, Coconut oil forms an impenetrable barrier subcutaneously, thus not allowing the skin to ‘breathe’. It is also now accepted that the amount of coconut oil consumed orally should also be limited. Whilst some of the stated benefits are unquestionable, you maybe should reassess how your information is presented in the light of current information.
    Best regards.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I think we’ll just have to disagree, Bryan. My skin seems to breathe just fine with it, much better than with lotions that often contain petroleum byproducts. I haven’t heard of anyone having trouble with their skin not breathing with coconut oil. It is very high in calories, so, of course ingestion should be limited to a small amount each day. I usually wouldn’t go over 2 tablespoons.

• Nelly says:

very true charllie, i come from coastal part of Kenya and it is very hot here. We use coconut oil even on new born babies and it fights heat rush! When my baby was born, she had heat rush all over her body because i was using a lotion containing petroleum, she could not sleep! But when i started using coconut oil, she was relieved from the heat rush and her skin became smooth! coconut oil is just amazing!

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you for the back up, Nelly. I’ve used it on heat rashes too with success.

• Beverly says:

I started using it two days ago on my entire body, and i was surprised how moisturized my face felt in the tropical island i live. My hair and skin looks great – skin is so soft.

• Beatrce says:

pliz advice where I can purchase coconut oil my face is full of heat rash

• Poppy says:

Hi Charlie, Thank you sooo much for all the information. start using coconut oil all over my body and feeling so relaxed and light after using this. Now I am using for my kido as well. As her skin is very rough bcoz of allergies. Feeling good now. Thank you heaps.
            I have a question in my mind. I am using PARACHUTE COCONUT OIL :

I am confused. Should I use this oil or should I buy PURE Coconut oil like OJIO??? Please suggest me accordingly. I will be very thank ful to you.

Keep up good work.
            Thanks
            Poppy

• Dorothy says:

your wrong bryan , If you listen to him you will miss out on something wonderful

• Eren Mckay says:

Hi Bryan,
      I don’t know where you’re getting your misinformation from but you should really research stuff before posting ignorant comments such as this one.
      My father has horrible bed sores and just with the use of coconut oil, they cleared up within 3 days. Pure coconut oil is excellent for the skin and the more people use it , the better their skin will be.
      Thanks Charlie for the great information.
      All the best,
      Eren

• Angie says:

I am using Coconut oil for my whole face, it is very absorbable and hydrating. I even use it around my eyes, the small wrinkles are softened and become not noticeable.

Thanks Charlie for sharing the great info!

Angie

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

That’s great to hear, Angie. You are welcome and thank you for sharing how well it’s working for you.

• stella says:

Hi what is the name of the brand for the coconu oil, because the one I am using is for my face Is drying my face

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Everyone has their favorite. I like Ojio, but there are a lot of very good ones out there, Stella. Coconut oil can be drying during winter because it goes solid in the cold and doesn’t absorb as well. Avocado or jojoba oil may be better during the colder months or you can use it before or during a warm shower or bath to get more out of it. Hope that helps.

• Janelle says:

I began using Coconut oil to moisturize my dry skin about a week ago. I noticed how soft my skin became and how quickly the transformation was taking place but I was concerned that my skin still appeared dry. Thanks for the winter tips Charlie they make perfect sense!

• R says:

Bryan,

I will agree with Charlie. I have definately witnessed miraculous impact of this oil on hair quality as well as skin. My face below the right eye was sensitive to sun burn and had become dark. Accidently I used coconut oil and just in one day I saw the area getting clean and clear. In south of India, Coconut oil is used extensively, and these guys have superb skin and hair quality. Use of this oil retards aging of hair color and there is definately healing and cleansing property of this oil. Its not just full of important lipids but proteins and vitamins also, and all naturally.

• Leenie says:

I agree with Charlie. My skin (I’m 47) is still somewhat oily, so initially, until I did my research, I was reluctant to put CO on my face. After reading many articles, reviews etc, I decided to give it a try. No breakouts, no cystic acne of any kind. I just love this, I DO look younger than 47, and I know it’s the coconut oil. I have given up Chanel, Lancôme, Estée Lauder,and every other commercial product.
      I no longer need them, and far too many chemicals. Thanks Charlie!

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you, Leenie, for sharing how well it has worked for you, even on oily skin. You are awesome!

• trisha says:

I’m right there with you Leenie… I actually had gotten a container of coconut oil to do oil pulling with.. I had a tooth bothering me that was cracked by a dentist and didn’t really want to deal with them again.. after doing the pulling just once for about 10 minutes.. the pain already started to subside, by day 2 the swelling was gone and all was back to normal.. I did this for 4 days total in the morning. About 3 days ago I was getting fed up with my go to moisturizer cocobutter, and something made me pull out my container of CO… at first I was hesitant on my face, but slapped it all over my legs and arms, then neck and belly… day 2 on put it around my eye area, by day 4.. I was using it all over.. I did immediately notice the soft feeling without the oiliness of other name high priced products that would seem to need reapplying almost every hour.. what a waste of money all those lotions etc are.. I love love love my CO, without all those fillers in the store products that make me feel like I just slapped crisco oil on myself… but until now, on here, I never knew or heard of anyone else loving and using it… Thank you Charlie too…. glad to know I was doing something good for my self finally after years of nothing, and then wasting alot of money on crap… I also like to mix my CO with some sweet almond oil too… love love love it

• san says:

http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/gallery/skin-care-oils/p110452/page1 …does not mention coconut oil at all.
      https://www.beneficialbotanicals.com/facts-figures/absorption-ratings.html- this site warns of how heavy coconut will sit on your skin. it is rated the hardest of oils for absorption.
      Now I agree there are benefits to using coconut oil but I have heard many in the african community swear by vaseline just as much for skin as the people here speaking about coconut .
      I think its due to the barrier of toxins and chemicals in the air not being able to get onto your skin but as far as I have read coconut oil is very heavy for the skin compared to hemp, aragan and even grapeseed or olive oil which come much higher in recommendations. I believe it is the versatility of this product that make it famous …but not necessarily the best for skin care.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you, San. I think it is very good for skin, but I advise caution when using it on the face. It can be very heavy on the face. The heaviness of it works well on hands, feet, and elbows. I use it on my face, but I do so before showering so I’m left with only the thinnest layer. It has done good things for me.

• Simone says:

I think you are misinformed Bryan, when it comes to organic/ extra virgin coconut oil being specifically used for skin care. I use cold pressed virgin coconut oil, made right here in my country in the Caribbean. The cold pressed oil is so light and mild that it absorbs completely in the skin and cleans the pores, it is anti-bacterial/anti-fungal. Maybe you are mixing it up with the manufactured brand used for cooking. All my sisters got rid of their skin care brands ( in the past, we have used everything from Clinique, Aveeno, Olay, Boots, Origins, Ester Lauder, Loreal, Nuetrogena……even Cetaphil). Before we go to bed, we use the cold pressed coconut oil on our face and neck, it is sweet smelling and clear at room temperature and our skin is beautiful. Like everything else, I will advise an allergy test, but I researched the benefits for over 6 months, and the virgin coconut oil is recommended for skin care. I prefer to get my information from people who actually use the products than knowledgeable sources who prefer to recommend high cost pharmaceuticals.

2. Wendy Mitch says:

Love coconut oil and use it all the time…my skin looks better than ever

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thanks, Wendy. I use it all the time too. I’ve never been a fan of lotions, but coconut oil works pretty well for me.

3. Abbey says:

Hey Charlie,
    I am 23 and I’m trying to use something to start helping my skin age gracefully. However, I still struggle with occasional breakouts (but who doesn’t really?). My skin is on the oily side though when I don’t moisturize, any tips for using coconut oil on my skin?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You can use coconut oil as a moisturizer and as a cleanser to help clean out pores, keep skin looking and feeling younger, and prevent breakouts since it combats the bacteria that cause it. I like to rub the coconut oil in before I shower in the morning. That way you aren’t left with too much oil on your face, just a thin layer. Then you can use coconut oil as a cleanser at night. Just use a cotton pad and wipe your face clean without any soap and then rinse with warm water. Occasionally I add a drop or two of tea tree oil to my coconut oil. You may also want to try jojoba oil, since it is very similar to sebum, your face’s natural oil, and may convince your skin to manufacture less of it. I’d try the coconut oil for a a couple weeks and see how it treats you.

• Abbey says:

thanks so much for your advice. I love natural things like coconut oil. I work at a medical spa and it’s great to hear about things that can help your skin that don’t cost thousands of dollars. Excited to try this on myself and tell clients about it.

4. tessa says:

i have seb derm, is it beneficial for this??

5. Jackie W says:

Hi Charlie,
    I’ve been using coconut oil for a couple months now under direction from my doctor…I had very dry itchy areas on my arms…It has worked wonders, not only have my arms stopped itching, for the first time in years my elbows are soft, not dark, and look great! After reading your article I have decided to try coconut oil on my face, it has been very dry and I have very sensitive skin with flare ups of adult acne. Initially I was nervous to do so and have only been using it around my eyes for a few days but so far so good! The point you made about coconut oil combating bacteria makes me feel much better about using it on my entire face. Maybe it will help acne flare ups! I will keep you posted! Thanks!

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Hi there, Jackie. Thank you so much for sharing your story. That’s awesome that it is working so well for you. I have a neighbor I am trying to convince to use it on his arms for the same thing. I use it on my face about two or three times a week and it has helped me with blackheads and I’m pretty sure my laugh lines look a little better too. You don’t want it super thick on your face. Maybe use a cotton pad and just a little coconut oil on it, like you would a cleanser. Good luck. I hope it works for you.

6. mutassif says:

Hi Charlie,
    as i change my location my skin became very dry, and dryness is too much that there is powder like om my face! Should i have to use coconut oil for dryness purpose

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You may very well have luck with coconut oil, Mutassif. Try it on a small area first for a couple days and see how you like it.

7. Diana says:

Thank you for this wonderful informative article! I am loving coconut oil! I purchased it from Mother’s Market and it is 100% natural but does not say extra virgin oil, is that ok?? Do you think it would be ok to use it under makeup?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I’m surprised it doesn’t say virgin or extra virgin on it. You are probably okay working your way through what you have and then seeking out one that does say extra virgin with your next purchase. You can use it under makeup in a very thin layer. Coconut oil tends to dissolve makeup. That’s what makes it such a good cleanser. One good way to apply it is just before your bath or shower. That way you only have the thinnest layer left on your skin after you towel off.

8. Angie Callejas says:

I’ve used coconut oil all my life. It’s a staple in da Islands. It makes me laugh when people ask why I don’t have any wrinkles, lines or turkey neck, I just turned 50 this year. They pretty much assume I use something expensive. Coconut oil is best used all over after showering for body lotion, after sun exposure moisturizer, for cooking it can withstand heat so it doesn’t turn into a cancerous bi product. It is also awesome for a leave in hair moisturizerepair etc. Leave it on for about 20 minutes wrap in plastic with a warm towel On top. Shampoo and condition as usual and voila! Shiny locks.

Thank you for sharing the article Charlie.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you, Angie, for sharing how well it has worked for you. I hope to look half as good as you sound when I hit 50. My discovery of coconut oil is fairly recent and I’ve been enjoying all of its many uses. I have tried it on my hair several times now and I am always amazed at how good my hair looks for the week or so afterward.

9. Nitish Kannan says:

Coconut oil is used by almost all Indians, it keeps you looking young, eliminates dandruff, keeps hair healthy and skin soft and youthful. Eating one to two spoons is very good for you.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thanks, Nitish. I do like a spoonful each morning and evening. I’ve found it does wonders for my teeth and sinuses when I do.

10. ari says:

good god! where have you been you, people? there is no questions that the raw organic extra virgin coconut oil is the answer for any trouble in the world! Human is greedy… they want more more and more and instead of using the extra virgin organic coconut oil… they created this chemical and stuff to enhance the production for the sake of their greedy needs.

If we stick on using the original traditional process of making coconut oil & consume it wisely… then you’d have a wonderful live on this planet.

if you want a healthy skin then use the raw organic extra virgin coconut oil all over your body once a day or you can add it a lil bit of it on your salad or green tea to booze your metabolism and energy… and don’t forget to work out and recover with well with coconut water . It’s the best!

I am from Java Island in Indonesia….. where we live and breathe with coconut from its water, leaf, tree, and fruits! we are human but let’s all of us be kind to nature and our body… and mind.

peace and love,
    Ari

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you, Ari. This is one thing I love about coconut oil. It doesn’t destroy the entire plant, like palm oil, and has all the benefits. So much better for us and the planet.

11. Judy Davis says:

OK…..you’ve convinced me. I have a rash on my legs the dermatologist says is eczema and I’ve been putting an expensive lotion on it. I’m starting today with coconut oil….I’ll let you know the results. Thanks for the info….

12. Krista says:

I love coconut oil. I use it as a moisturizer around my eyes on my hand and feet and mix it with lotion for all over body. I also have used the oil cleansing method with it but I found it made my skin break out but I am very acne prone. So probably not the best moisturizer for acne prone but great for dry skin!

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you, Krista, for sharing what works and doesn’t for you! I lean toward dry skin, so it has been great, but I do know many people have to avoid using it on their face for this reason.

13. Helly Doel says:

Hi,
    I use Coconut oil as a make up remover, it’s the best I’ve found! In addition, it’s great for stopping the bikini line itch when it grows!

I’ve also found it’s superb on my scalp psoriasis but I don’t use it too often thereas I’ve struggled to wash it out. Any tips on this would be much appreciated.
    Helly x

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you, Helly, for sharing more uses! I simply use warm water and a little conditioner and it rinses out pretty well. My hair does feel a little heavier for a day or two. You can use shampoo to help remove it. Shampoo will strip more of the oil out, but it will still leave a good amount in your hair to do what you want it to do. I hope that helps.

14. McGeeMumx3 says:

Hello, Charlie,
    Just a quick bit of support and a dash of info on your coconut oil use…
    I’m Bajan (from Barbados.) we live and die by the coconut. Everything you have said about it being fab is spot on. We even use ‘oil pulling’ methods to cleanse our teeth and gums. Look it up. It’s amazing.
    I have 2 quick suggestions for your readers
    1. Those using it on face for cleansing…mix with a bit of castor oil. castor can be drying so use sparingly.
    2.when using in hair…slather the head at night. wrap. wake. unwrap. ‘Wash’ hair with a mixture of 1 tblsp baking soda to 8oz of water shaken well. rinse well. condition with a 50/50 apple vinegar and water mixture. rinse. you will not smell like a rocket salad. promise. You will have the BEST hair and skin around. My gran lived to be 101 and had skin and hair as smooth as a baby’s.
    Thanks, Charlie. You’re a doll.

• McGeeMumx3 says:

oh, I just remembered! my gran used it on her eyelids as well; before sleep of course. It strengthens lashes and eliminates the ‘scale’ that can sometimes occur when you wear eye makeup a lot.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you, McGee, for sharing these tips. I do love oil pulling very much and I always use coconut oil when I do! I had thought of using a combination of jojoba and coconut oil for a face cleanser, but I hadn’t thought of castor. Thank you again for some really good advice!

15. Sue says:

What is the best method to apply coconut oil is facial cleansing? I have acne troubled skin and have tried everything but have recently been told to try coconut oil, I want to be sure I am applying properly.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I just use a cotton pad, Sue. I put a very small amount on one side and wipe it in. Then I wipe it off with the other. You don’t want a ton of coconut oil left on your face when it is all done. I like to do this before a shower too, which helps remove more oil. You can use coconut oil thicker on other parts of your body, but I like to take it easy on the face.

16. andrew says:

i have very dry skin. about 3 years ago i used it to make my tan shine and make all the hard work at the gym more noticeable. the local wal mart quit selling it. just 2 weeks ago i found some at the local kroger. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

indiana winter is very rough on your skin. i would wake up and feel like my face was made of brown paper bag, it was that bad! in just two days all the redness on my face has diminished and my crows feet is less noticeable. i am only 34 years of age and looking good is still important to myself.

regarding the comment about it not letting your skin breath i can maybe shed some light to that commentator: 3 years ago i felt the same. i started using this during the summer months and when i would sweat the oil would come back out with the sweat. my whole body would glisten and shine. this is a very good thing however i understand how it could have been somewhat misleading. i have used that jar for almost a year and my skin never looked better or felt healthier. try it out bryan, it works absolute wonders.

also great for cooking and mouthwash! if you smoke this will remove the kissing an ashtray thing you may have heard. also cures warts you get on the bottom of your feet. i had one on my big toe and tried everything. unlike the garlic treatment this does not hurt or burn your skin. painlessly it just got smaller and smaller in size and then just disappeared. never has it returned. i hope this helps someone out there.

17. Casaundra says:

I am so glad I read this because I just purchased some coconut oil to use for my hair, I bought ” Spectrum organic virgin coconut oil” I hope this it the right kind, but my hair is breaking like crazy and I heard about this remedy but I was still skeptical after trying so many things. Now I’m at my wits end and I decided to do a little research and to find out that it does so much more, I can’t wait to use it so now I’m very hopeful thanks for the info Charlie :-) and everyone else :-) ….except you Bryan :-( lol!!

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you so much, Casaundra, and you are welcome. I use it in my hair every couple weeks and I love it. I’m just as hopeful for you and your hair. Let us know what happens and good luck!

PS – Thank you for the laugh at the end of your comment. :D

18. sylvia says:

my body skin is all flaky and peeling off should i apply ciconut oil

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Sylvia, try it on a small area for a few days and see how you react to it and if it starts helping. If you see even small improvement, start using it all over. I’ve seen it help so many skin problems and I’m hoping it works for you too.

19. Tara says:

I started using virgin coconut oil on my face about 2 months ago, and it actually seems to show my fine lines and wrinkles more. I look very young for my age (I’m 54, and people guess me to be about 39 or 40). Also, when I use it on my hands at night, within about 10 minutes, they feel very dry. Any thoughts why this is happening?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

We are all individual, Tara, and some people may not respond well to coconut oil. There is also a transition period, when you skin is trying to figure out what it thinks of the new addition and deciding what to do with its oil production. Coconut oil is also a little less effective during the winter months. You may want to switch over to avocado oil and then try coconut again in the spring.

20. Nelly says:

Hello Charlie, im using coconut oil since i found your website, im using every night for my body, my face ,my hair, my nails, for mouthwash, I cant belive my skin is very soft and clean… Coconut oil is amazinggg , i cant stay now without using it for everything,,

21. L. Estelle says:

Hi Charlie,
    Can you tell me what type of Coco nut oil is best for the skin, please? I have some, it’s spectrum brand, Organic refined expeller pressed, can I use this?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I like the unrefined, virgin more, but you can certainly use your organic, refined coconut oil. It has been filtered and has less of a coconut smell, but the many benefits are still there.

22. Amy says:

Question… I just had weight loss surgery and as I’m losing weight my skin is having a hard time keeping up. I’m starting to notice some loose skin and wrinkling. Do you think that the coconut oil will help tighten my skin up faster than other creams and lotions?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

It takes time for your skin to shrink and mold itself to your shape when you lose weight quickly. Hydration, both internally and externally, can help speed the process a little, but not as much as you probably hope. Having said that, I’d still give coconut oil a try and see how your skin responds after a few weeks. Good luck, Amy.

23. Naila Gul says:

hello
    i am 32 yreas old, i am unmarried but ther r alot of wrinklws and pimples on my face, please give me suggestion
    thanks

24. Zung says:

Hi Charlie.
    I’ve had anal fissures for 2 years and I was getting worried that no medication could treat it.
    Until I’ve read somewhere that he started using Virgin coconut oil around the strains to stop and relieve him from these fissures. I tried it and it worked. The discomfort and burden of these fissures left me when I regularly applied it.

25. Jean says:

The winter is brutal on the skin. Been using xtra virgin on my face @ night. No dry flakes! Love it. Will this oil also help with rosacea?

26. Fiona says:

My friend is having trouble with his muscles and also is worried about his weight loss, no diagnosis found. Do you think Coconut oil could help? I can see it’s good for weight loss which is opposite to what he needs.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

It’s hard to say, Fiona, without knowing why he is losing weight and muscle. A little coconut oil might help if he is struggling with some type of infection or parasite. It does help with weight loss, but it is also high in calories, so it helps maintain healthy weight too and keeping energy levels up while trying to build muscle. He should consult a health care professional though to figure out what is causing the loss in the first place.

27. Clare says:

I grew up in the coastal region of Mombasa, Kenya and have used coconut oil and shea butter for as long as I can remember. I cook with it, use it as a hair oil, skin moisturiser. No need for expensive lotions or creams. My skin is completely problem free. Thank you for sharing the word

28. rashmi says:

if u apply coconut oil on ur face will it lead to the facial hair growth???

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Coconut oil should not increase facial hair, Rashmi. Men may use it to soften and tame their beards, but it will not make facial hair grow in darker, thicker, or faster for women.

29. Amanda F says:

Aside from Bryan’s comment, all I am hearing is wonderful stuff about using coconut oil for the skin. My 3 year has had a horrible rash for more than a year. We have tried every prescription we can to clear it up. Nothing has helped her. I am thinking about using coconut oil on her butt to see if I can finally beat this thing. My question is, will it burn her? So many creams have hurt her more than the actual rash has and as a parent, I feel horrible having to put her through it. I believe the rash is from her allergy to dairy. I have switched to lactose/gluten free products, but with her visiting family, have not been able to test out my theory for my own eyes. Feed back would be wonderful…..

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Coconut oil is very gentle on skin, Amanda. The only reason it could burn her is if she has an allergy to coconut as well. Test it on a very small area for a couple days and see how her skin reacts before using it over the entire rash area. Most creams have some synthetic ingredients that many infants react to, but coconut oil is all-natural and easier on skin. Good luck. I hope it works well for your little one.

30. Elcee says:

Do you know how this compares to EMU Oil for the skin?

31. Richard says:

Hi, after reading all the great experiences with coconut oil have started to use it today on my eczema that has started to flare up again. Sick of harsh creams so thought a natural approach would be better. Will post back in couple of weeks. Fingers crossed! :-)

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Glad to hear it, Richard. I look forward to hearing if and how it works for you. My fingers are crossed for you too.

32. Jill says:

How do you use it as a mouthwash. Melt in warm water & swish??

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I just use a little oil straight with a drop or two of peppermint oil added to it. It will melt in your mouth in seconds. Swish it around for a couple minutes and then spit it out. You get some oil pulling benefits and mouthwash benefits in one.

33. Phaith Her says:

I have a question about using coconut oil onto my face before buying it . Ok so I’m asian and I’m not that dark or that light skinned . You can say I have that natural skin color type. I have sensitive skin , and dry skin with small acne . I have a lot of troubles with small acne on my forehead (especially) and and on my side cheeks . It bothers me a lot when I talk to people closely, and I was wondering if coconut oil would be the product I would use for my face ? I need clear skin :( ugh , it’s so embarrassing with no clean skin? Would it help using coconut oil? And also IF I was to use coconut oil on my face, could I use my face wash before coconut oil since everybody says it’s a moisturizing thing.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Coconut oil may help you, Phaith. You will never know until you try it. I can say it has minimized my little black heads that I get on my nose. You can use it as a cleanser or as a moisturizer after you wash your face. Good luck!

34. dana says:

Because of irregular heart beat, I have to take a prescription blood thinner. I wear long sleeves to cover the frequent bruising. Would you recommend coconut oil to lessen the healing time and remove the “unsightly” discoloring?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Coconut oil, arnica oil, and witch hazel are three things you can try. I have had good luck with each of them with bruising. Good luck, dana!

35. Foluke says:

Hi Charlie. Thanks for sharing all these wonderful virtues of Coconut oil with us. I’d like to ask specifically if coconut oil darkens the skin because you said earlier tyat it helps to retain “tan”. I’m an African and I dont want to get darker. Thanks

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Good question, Foluke. If you are getting sun often and not wearing sunscreen, then coconut oil will darken your skin because it does hold tans longer, but it does not darken skin by itself. It can actually help lighten blemishes and acts a very low potency sunscreen when you aren’t getting too much sun. Wear sunscreen when you are out for longer than half an hour in the sun. Don’t wear sunscreen when you are only in the sun a short while though. Vitamin D is important and it won’t noticeably darken skin if you get a good 10 to 20 minutes in. That’s when coconut oil is perfect, blocking a little while letting you recharge your vitamin D. I hope that helps.

36. Rashmi says:

Hi,

My skin has dark patches near the elbows. It’s there from so many users. Tried all possible creams. Is there any natural product that can be used to remove these dark patches?? Will use of coconut oil help here??

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I have heard of coconut oil helping to lighten dark spots, age spots, and to soften rough skin, which can look darker, Rashmi. I say it is worth a try. It is far more natural than any cream.

37. Chris says:

Hi Charlie,

Does coconut oil help minimize stretch marks? Also, is unrefined better then refined?

Chris

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I like unrefined better, Chris. It has more of the natural ingredients from the coconut. I haven’t used it on stretch marks, but I have had good luck with scars and I’ve heard good things from others about it minimizing stretch marks. I hope it works well for you. Good luck.

38. Yash says:

coconut oil is a wonder! i had this weird kind of allergy around my nose and it just vanished within 3 days with the application of coconut oil. I use it regularly since then. Also keeps my skin moisturized :)

39. Megan says:

Hi Charlie, thanks for sharing. I am obsessed with coconut oil. I have been using it as a moisturizer on my legs after shaving it after it sinks in, my skin feels so silky smooth and amazing. I have a question. I haven’t used it much on my face at all. I have very red cheeks from under my eyes down to my jaw line which is completely embarrassing unless I cover it with makeup. I especially hate it during the summer at the beach and stuff! It’s not rosacea because my cheeks never break out and are mostly smooth. Do you think using coconut oil daily on my cheeks will help reduce the redness permanently?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I think you may want to discuss this with your physician, Megan. There are many reasons why your face may be red that could pose some health risks. Coconut oil may help if it is a mild form of rosacea or a mild inflammatory response, but if it is something more, it may not be enough. Good luck.

40. Shell says:

Just wanted to say I am now obsessed with Coconut Oil.. When I went to purchase, I did a google search for the better brands to use and the best I could find on the shelf were the Artisana, or Dr.Bronner’s.. I went with the Artisana because the size was larger.. Love this stuff! I have used as an all over moisturizer with excellent effects… I am 44, almost 45(in 2 weeks) and I was using an expensive skin care regimen , ran out and needed something good that was more cost effective.. I am loving the results of the CO around my eyes, and my mouth. I am using not just as an eye moisturizer, but on whole face as well.. I hate makeup and prefer a light powder.. I am finding that with the CO my skin texture, color, and wrinkles have all improved.. My face just looks fresher.. I have had sinus problems and my eyes were puffy, especially the upper lids. Since using the CO it is amazing the difference ! Especially after an oil pulling ! My sinuses cleared up almost instantly.. My boyfriend has had problems since breaking his nose in a car accident years ago so I made him give it a try.. He could not believe the difference and how well he can now breath through his nose… I am guessing that the few people that did not have excellent results with using Coconut Oil may have possibly bought a refined version.. I would say stick to a good organic, extra virgin/virgin type and you will be pleased !!

41. Lucky says:

Hi,
    I have a query, i have acne on my forehead, so can I use cocunat oil, because dermatologist advised not apply oil on your face, so you please suggest me, can i use coconut oil, and which is the best coconut oil.. I used parachute for hair massage, can i use that on my face also??

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Most oils you would not want to apply to your face, Lucky, but jojoba oil, coconut oil, and avocado oil seem to do our faces some good. You may want to experiment with a small section of your forehead. Use coconut oil on that spot for a couple weeks and see how your react to it. I’m sorry, I’m not very familiar with parachute.

42. Lucky says:

Hi,

You please suggest me the best coconut oil for face though i have very sensitive skin..

43. Sherri says:

When I find something that works, I stick with it. I am fanatic about my skin care regimen, but don’t usually use much make up. After three years of a particular skin care brand, I began to have stinging and burning on my eyelids. At one point they peeled like they had been burned. Very nasty. Anyway, I grabbed the coconut oil one night and used it around my eyes. No stinging. I have been using it ever since on my whole face and neck area – also on my hands and cuticles. Haven’t made it to the whole body yet, but i’m headed that direction. I also do oil pulling and find it clears my sinuses. I have used it for years in cooking, but did not think of it for skin. Yeah. dumb. Love the stuff.

44. Jen says:

My son has eczema and I use to use the cortisone cream prescribed by doctors. But since it flares up every summer I decided to go natural and used emu oil. This worked in getting rid of the eczema although not as quick as the cortisone cream and then i switched to coconut oil as it’s a lot cheaper. This also worked plus it smells a treat and my son is able to put it on himself – I never use to let him apply the cortisone just to minimize contact and in case he forgets to wash his hands afterwards. I’m sure he licks his fingers now after applying the coconut oil!
    I also use it as a deodorant (yes it works), on my body as a moisturizer and recently on my raised scars. Occasionally use it on my face when I just fancy having a sniff of it but mostly use extra virgin olive oil as I find it less drying. My face has never looked better and when I do get the odd spot, it just disappears within a couple days. Told my teenage daughter to try coconut oil on her spots and she was surprised how instead of making her skin greasy and her spots worse, it actually cleared her skin.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you so much for sharing these, Jen! I use it as deodorant too and I love having less gunk build up on my poor shirts.

• Jen says:

Yeah Charlie it’s weird how it doesn’t leave oil stains on clothes. Occasionally I put on too much or I don’t rub it in properly then it leaves a slight stain but that’s easily removed. My husband still uses traditional deodorant and I have to scrub to remove the yellow stains from his shirts before wash.

45. dina says:

Hello charlie, I have a very dry skin because I used to take a treatment against acne which peeled my face and now I am suffering from a really bad skin. Its dry and most of the times red. So how can I apply coconut oil to help me? What are the steps of applying it to my face?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Hi, Dina! If I were in your shoes, I would start small. Test it out on a small section of your face for a few days to two weeks to see how your skin tolerates it. It takes a couple weeks for your skin to adapt to the new addition. Simply use a finger to dab some on and then wipe it off with a cotton pad or ball. If you see improvement, then increase the test size. It may or may not work for you, but I’ll be hoping it does. Good luck!

46. Carls says:

hi, thank you for this informative article! was just wondering, is pure CO the same as unrefined or organic CO? Trying to figure out which type is the best to use?

47. Rachna says:

hello I am 23. I have adult acne on my upper body. cam I use coconut oil? pls mail me the reply if possible.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I’d say it is worth a try, Rachna. I have noticed less acne all around since I started using it.

• saskia says:

Hi rachna, I suggest you to use ayurveda soap that can be found in indian stores. It has helped with my body acne and even lightened my skin. It is quite an affordable soap. Do remember to use a body scrubbing cloth to exfoliate skin as this will help to heal and clean body acne and the acne scars.

• Rachna says:

thanx Charlie and Saskia. Saskia can you please tell me the name of that soap? I ‘ll be very thankful… I am getting married next year and now depressed because of acne tried everything but no result… plz tell me the soap name. thanks alot.

• Saskia says:

Hi it is called ayurveda soap. Alternatively you could use black african soap. I feel that the most important thing is to use a body scrubbing towel. That helped the most in keeping skin cleand acne free. Moisture skin with a few drops of coconut oil for face and massage body with the oil as well. Coconut oil helps skin to heal and makes it softer and relieves acne scarring. It can be a pain to have acnebut do not be disheartend, keep at a good skin care regime with minimal chemicals , keeping skin clean and moisturized. You will see results, so keep at it. I wish you all the best with your skin and congratulations on your marriage. Good luck :)

Thank you, Saskia!

48. Ritu Goyal says:

Hi Charlie

I am 30. My face skin is patchy. I have dark spots near nose, lips, dark eye circles. and my forehead is extremely dark

can u suggest me , will using coconut oil will work for me. Also how shall i use it means the method to use it.

Thanks
    Ritu

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

It may work for you, Ritu. You never know until you give it a try. Start small and see how you react to it first and then use more if you are not allergic or anything. I use it as a cleanser and moisturizer. Simply rub it on and wipe it off with a cotton pad or ball. You don’t want too much on your face, though you can use more elsewhere, like feet and elbows. Lemon juice mixed with yogurt can be a mild skin lightener. Rub it into the darker areas, leave it for ten minutes, and then rinse it off. I wish you luck.

• Ritu Goyal says:

Thank you Charlie.

I will give it a try.

• Ritu says:

Hi

hey also , is using CO can result into small pimples if not used properly.

Thanks in Advance,
          Ritu

49. Ritu says:

Thank you Charlie for quick response.

I will try it out.. lets see how it goes/

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You are always welcome, Ritu! I will be sending you all the luck I can gather. I really hope it helps you.

• Ritu says:

Hi
        I have started using parashute coconut oil for my face, bcoz of winters here in India its in solid form. yea it gets melt easily after applying on skin, is this fine? I apply this CO oil and after few hours when i wash my face with ponds facewash then i feel its peeling of much of dead skin from my face. My skin gets more dry after facewash. Here which brand of CO oil you guys are talking about and which facewash to use. but yea i feel, that some of my scars are getting light. but forehead is still same, i feel white heads/black skin and small small pimples on my forehead. hey also , is using CO can result into small pimples if not used properly.

Thanks in Advance, Ritu

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Coconut oil may cause acne if you use too much on your face. I like to use it as a moisturizer after washing my face so you dry out less. I also wipe it off well after I apply it so I am left with the thinnest layer possible. I hope that answers some of your questions, Ritu.

50. Dahlia says:

Virgin coconut oil has made a HUGE difference to my skin. I’ve had pimples, whiteheads, blackheads, skin discolouration, cystic acne, red blotches of scars that were so bad that people couldn’t tell the original colour of my skin. The organic black african soap i used controlled my acne and reduced pimples, and the moisturizer I used also helped to even out my facial skin’s surface. However, it was still not enough. My skin discolouration made me look as though I still had bad acne even though most of it already healed. I started using virgin coconut oil every night as a treatment and deep conditioning moisturizer using not more than two drops, which was just enough for me. A couple months of diligent use and my skin has drastically changed for the better! My skin is so unbelievably smooth now, it’s an amazing improvement as my skin was very rough due to the uneven skin surface. The virgin coconut oil has evened out my skin, healed skin discolouration, made my skin healthier and more supple, reduced fine lines, and now my bare skin looks a 100 times better. I was so very happy with the results, I feel so much more confident, and I just like gently touching my skin as creepy as that sounds haha. However, if you are looking to heal more bigger skin issues such as ice pick scars, sadly virgin coconut oil hasn’t worked a miracle for me yet, which is not surprising though as ice pick scars are to be dealt with a professional dermatologist, or so I’ve been warned countless of times. Besides that, coconut oil has been a gem. Hey Charlie, is there anything you would recommend for a natural way to heal ice pick scars?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Dahlia. I know I have had many people ask about skin discoloration and I had no direct experience with it. I’m glad to have someone share that coconut oil helps. Ice pick scars are a tough one. Massage, lemon juice, baking soda in coconut oil, and pineapple are all supposed to help remove some of the scarring, but not all, and, once again, not something I’ve dealt with personally. You also have to be careful with lemon juice as it can lighten skin where applied and make you more photosensitive.

51. Judi says:

I had very dry cracked skin and feet due to having to use diuretics for Kidney Disease and End Stage Renal Disease. I had tried various products to help care for my skin, but nothing seemed to really help. I started using CO on a whim one day (got it out of my pantry) and used it after a warm shower. It went on smooth and light and absorbed quickly with no residue or sticky/oily feeling. I’ve only used it about 3 times and my skin is GREAT! No dryness and my heels are not cracked! (I put socks on after I slather the oil on my feet and heels and let it soak in!) I can honestly say this stuff is really working! I’m going to try on my face and also get my husband to try for a skin problem he has on his eye lids (The dermatologist said he had a type of “dandruff” on his eye lids and nothing will clear it up!) So this is worth trying!! Just my 2 cents!

52. Mubeena Mansoor says:

can i use parashute coconut oil in my whole body including my face. I too have very dry skin is this will be effective for my skin.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I am unfamiliar with parashute coconut oil, but I believe so, Mubeena.

• Saskia says:

Hi parachute oil for body is fine but for face you should specifically use virgin or extra virgin coconut oil. So long as it is virgin coconut oil it should be fine for the face no matter what brand. I have used multiple brands and they all have worked. Do not use coconut oil o face if it is not specifocally virgin coconut oil.

53. Natalia says:

I recently began usuing CO in my skin care routine… I was tired of using all these products with tons of chemicals, which didn’t seem to be helping my skin at all.. I have combination skin with acne flare-ups on my chin and cheeks… It tends to be more on the oily side tho, but it didint become extra dry when using certain products… I also have stretch marks on my belly and hips , and some one my breasts..

i began to think… maybe less is more.. I bought some CO , whipped it up in my Magic Bullet, put it in a tupperware container and let it solidify a bit (it was very runny after whipping it). Im not sure why i whipped it, but i read online that you can and figured it would make a nice texture.

I put it on my face, massage it into my skin (neck & chest areas also) .. Then i take a towel, run it under some warm water, ring it out, and place it over my face..

I use it as an all over moisturizer and on my stretch marks. I ahvent broken out since and my skin is soft and clean. It also cleared up exisiting breakouts without leaving any dark marks!

Its only been about a week of using it, but I absolutley love it! I only used it on my hair once (I do not wash my hair daily) and will also begin oil pulling since reading all these great things about it. I have very weak and soft teeth, hopefully this might help me!

exicting to see further results using CO!

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

We’re excited it is working so well for you and to hear more of your results in the future. Keep sharing, Natalia!

54. Cindy says:

I started using coconut oil on my face at night about 3 weeks ago. I have always had very oily skin and breakout often on my forehead. Since starting the coconut oil at night, I put it all around my eyes, my very deep wrinkle forehead and around my mouth where I have smile lines. My skin is far less oily during the day, my laugh lines have all but vanished and my frown lines on my forehead are lifting quite nicely!!!! I was worried about putting oil on my face, did a ton of reading and I am so glad I am using this now!!!! I am a forever user now, considering I recently ran into someone I had not seen in a few years and she was amazed how nice and young my face looked :-) !

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

That is awesome, Cindy!! Always nice to run into people who shower you with compliments. I am so happy for you. Keep letting us know how it works long-term.

55. Granny K says:

Thanks for the great site! Two questions here:

1. I bit into buying a fairly expensive roll-on bottle of a popular brand of essential oils – this one for tension in neck, etc. It doesn’t seem to mark up my skin, but burned like crazy with my first use – I assume due to the peppermint in it. Package says to dilute with “fractionated c.o – which, of course the essential oil company sells for an arm and a leg – if your skin is sensitive to the oil.. A local health food store has it at a better price.. Sites on the Fractionated. oil, however, remark that most of the good qualities, such as Lauric Acid, are removed in the process of fractionating. Virgin oil appears to be very healthful, and has left in “the good stuff”. In your humble opinion, would Virgin Coconut oil work as well to dilute the oils? Perhaps to rub on skin before using the roll on essential oil?

2. 30-year breast cancer survivor here, [Yay!!] (double mastectomies) The radiation I underwent on one side is still “doing it’s destruction”. Unfortunately, it’s work never ends, so there’s no real “cure”. Think: About a 3×4″ area that is hard, dry, leathery snake/alligator, etc. Docs tell me to keep it well moisturized, even trying Vaseline – but nothing seems to work, or it irritates the area. I’m anxious to try some of the virgin coconut oil on the area. Would you suggest trying this before I shower, also, or ???? Guess I’m concerned about it messing up clothing.

Thanks!

• Granny K says:

Oh, and forgot to mention that I live in the North where we’ve had one of the longest winter’s on record, with temps below zero on a number of days! I saw some comments about the coconut oil on the face solidifying in cold temps, but how about on the body, covered by clothing/???

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I think you are fine using it the way you plan to, Granny K. If you use it before a shower, the warmth will help it absorb and get used by your body and then the clothing will do the same. The drying effect that can happen during winter is mainly on the face and hands.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Granny K, you can absolutely use coconut oil to dilute essential oils. You also do not need the fractionated kind. I would do exactly as you commented – rub the oil on and then use the roll on. Coconut oil can stain clothing in large amounts, so before a shower is a very good time to apply it. You can also apply it right after in smaller amounts. A thin layer absorbs well and minimizes the risk to your clothes. Good luck. I hope it helps you so much!

56. Cindy says:

First of all let me say that I am so glad I listened to a friend who told me how she used coconut oil for her facial skin. I was having patches of thin skin under my eyes. Just below where women wear concealer. I have always had very sensitive skin and every product no matter what the cost flared up my face. Having gone through menopause I noticed so much dryness with my face and new wrinkles I was desperate to try something. And, oh my goodness!!! New wrinkles that had formed on my forehead are now gone. Under my eyes is so much better. it hasn’t even been 2 weeks and I see such an improvement. I switch off sometimes with Vitamin E or Rosehip oil but by far the coconut oil with a natural eye cream I purchased online is doing great things for my skin. I am 54 and have always been told I looked much younger so I wanted to keep my skin healthy looking. It is also awesome with some of our pets we care for. A little goes a long way even with coarse hair. We cook with it now also. Thanks for your article. It is nice to read what I am experiencing first hand Charlie. :)

57. Kellie says:

I am 49 years old and have had trouble keeping my skin hydrated for several years. I would have called my skin dehydrated instead of dry because I could see little wrinkles and it wasn’t flakey. For the past year, I have been putting coconut oil on my face, neck, and arms (my most problematic areas) BEFORE I get in shower. I do my usual shower duties (washing hair, shaving legs, etc.). I get out, blot my face dry (it’s wet from the steam, I don’t put my face in the shower water), and my skin is left with an unbelievable moisture and looks so healthy all the time. Doing this has literally transformed my skin! I get compliments on my skin all the time. : )

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you, Kellie! I really am a fan of the preshower use of coconut oil. It leaves the perfect amount on your skin.

58. Tracy says:

I have very dry skin and discoloration on my skin. I was wondering if coconut oil will help? If so how do I go about using? Should I use it as cleanser, a moisturizer or both.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

It just might, Tracy. You never know for sure until you try it. Start in a small area and see how your skin tolerates it. A small amount of people are allergic. You can use it as either or both. I like to use it as both. I clean my face with it at night and wipe it off, but this leaves a little behind to moisturize overnight. I also like using it just before a shower or bath. This leaves behind only a thin layer, the perfect amount for the face. Good luck! Let us know how it works for you.

59. Angel says:

Hi,

I have moderately dry skin and have been using a moisturizing cream on my face for about 1 year now. Since hearing about the benefits of OIL for the face, I have tried out 100% pure argan oil & 100% unrefined coconut oil (at separate times) Both of them seem to irritate my skin and make my face flaky and dry. Any ideas as to why? I want to believe the hype on coconut oil but every time I try it my skin gets so irritated and drier :( any info will be helpful!

Thanks,
    Angel

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Sorry to hear that, Angel. Some people have a mild allergy to coconut oil and can’t use it. It also takes some people about two weeks for their skin to adjust to the new oil. Coconut oil forms a thin layer on your skin that keeps your skin from dehydrating. If you aren’t getting enough water, your skin can still dry out. You may also want to apply it just after your skin is moistened, like after a warm shower. Coconut oil doesn’t play as well with winter weather either. It hardens at colder temperatures and doesn’t absorb well. These may help, but it may just be that coconut oil isn’t right for you.

60. Favoured says:

coconut oil has been amazing on my hairline. It was really, really bad, no sign of hair at all.hairline was as smooth as my face. After doing some research, i started applying both coconut oil & castor oil. I alternate, i massage coconut oil in the morning & castor oil at night since it is greasy. The results are amazing! I had lost hope of growing hair but coconut & castor didi it for me. By the way, results will not come in one day, i was very patient & consistent, now i dnt even believe my hairline myself after just a few months.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

That is amazing! I also use rosemary oil in my coconut oil for my hairline and my hair in general. It stimulates growth and maintains color.

61. Favoured says:

by the way, i recommended it to a friend who was also having the same issue with her hairline. She wishes she had started sooner because it is soo working for her.

62. mohamed says:

hi,i want to manufacture a soap with pure coconut oil,using palm noodles,is it good for the skin as well as the hair.?
    kindly advise

63. Uday says:

Great article!! We are from south India who extensively use coconut oil.We use that in cooking as well. We got beautiful skin and hair. We get pure coconut oil and when applied leaves our skin smoother and much more healthier then synthetic chemical moisturizers.

64. Andrea says:

Hi Charlie, i have been using coconut oil for about 3 weeks now for my very dry and cracked skin on my feet, i massage a good amount of the oil into my skin which is so easy to do as it turns to liquid as soon as it has any heat then i put on socks and i had amazing soft feet in one week!!!
    I am now using it on my face and have discarded any of my normal beauty products .
    what i want to know is does it have any good properties for helping with osteoarthritis? because i have terrible pain in my hands ,feet and knees ,i have had 2 hip replacements before the age of fifty.
    Many thanks.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Coconut oil does have some anti-inflammatory properties, Andrea. Many people use it both inside and out to reduce pain. Good luck!

65. Erin says:

Just wondering…does coconut oil help the dark circles under the eyes? Don’t know if someone else mentioned this yet, but I not able to read the whole list. Thanks in advance!!

66. Swarupa says:

Hi Charlie, I am from India. Here in India we use coconut oil so much for every purpose. I use pure coconut oil as moisturizer after shower. I get complements everyday for my beautiful glowing skin. Everyone want to know the secret of my beautiful skin but I never reveal, lol :-) .

Thanks for the information.

67. Sophie says:

Hi Charlie,

I just started using unrefined coconut oil for a week, is it possible to mix essential oil with coconut oil? If so, which flavor essential oil is the best match with coconut oil? Because I found I smell too much coconut after I applied the oil on my skin. Also, I am using it right after shower, is it better to use before or after shower, I saw above messages, you said u use it before shower..I was thinking it may be better for skin to absorb the oil before I wipe my skin, because my skin is very dry even it’s summer time.

Bests
    Soph

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Totally possible, Soph! I use a lavender and tea tree oil blend in my coconut oil often, but you can use other scents too. I like lavender and citrus together. You can use it after you shower. Many people do that to lock in the moisture from the shower. I prefer before, but I am not too prone to dry skin, and I like the thin layer it leaves behind. Hope that helps.

68. Ali Roffey says:

Hello Charlie
    I have been using pure virgin cocinut oil on my skin and face…but I am experiencing lots of red bleamishes,flaky skin and redness.
    Should I stop.
    I live in the uk so at the moment cold,windy,heating on.
    kind regards
    Ali

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Oh no, Ali. I would say you should probably stop. You may be slightly allergic. Cold weather does interfere with absorption, so you may want to try it again when it is warmer, but stop if you keep getting irritation and redness. It does take a couple weeks for your skin to get used to it, but you shouldn’t get much irritation even during those couple weeks. I’m sorry. You may want to look into moringa, jojoba, or argan oil instead.

69. Denise Brown says:

Why does my buttock seem to break out when using coconut oil for intimate pleasure?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You may be slightly allergic, Denise. Use a little less and see if you still break out, Taper it down until you don’t. You may have to find another solution.

70. Rosalia says:

hi

i am a african lady, with a discolouring on my face. I was just wondering if the coconut oil with be as effective as the many testimonials here,..

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

You really can’t be sure how your face will react, Rosalia, until you try it. If the discoloration is drastic, you may need more than just coconut oil too. Good luck.

71. Flor Elena says:

I just started using coconut oil and I love it. My skin feel so soft and hydrated, it works better than my face sunblock. I even use it on my hair too, it makes my hair look so shiny and luscious. It’s like beauty in a jar!

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you, Flor, for sharing how well it works for you!

• Nicole says:

I completely agree, my skin hasn’t felt and looked this good in over 6 years. I got really bad adult acne when I was 26, and after 3 dermotologist, I was finally put on accutane. That was the worst mistake for my skin care. After coming off of it, I immediately started breaking out and not wanting to do a second round, I have been battling again with it for over a year…until 3 days ago. Just randomly I put coconut oil on my face before bed and woke up the next morning with a major reduction in inflammation and redness. I have been using it every night since; 3 days later and my skin is almost completely clear. I’m not saying coconut oil cured my acne but it has helped more than any medication I have used.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I hope this trend continues for you, Nicole! And thank you so much for sharing your experience.

72. Kaylea says:

hey guys! since i was a baby, my mom would apply coconut oil to my hair and my hair was 3 feet long and severely thick by the time i was 8! i just learned that coconut oil could be used on the face and has drying as well as hydrating properties…? i have really oily skin, and sunday is my detox day, so i was wondering if i should add coconut oil to my face mask. will that help to decrease oil and smooth it out, or being an oil itself, just clog my pores up even more? thanks! great article, by the way!

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you, Kaylea, for sharing how well it worked for your hair! I think it would be a great addition to a mask. Give it a try and let us know.

73. Michelle says:

unrefined coconut oil is the BEST. (not the grocery store kind). I’m a black woman and switch from cocoa butter to coconut oil. My skin looks and feels amazing! I use it to remove make up (i make a sugar/honey scrub for my face), then use a little oil around eyes at night.
    I’ll admit, i never had major skin problems but my skin on my face is VERY sensitive, even cocoa butter makes my face break out., the coconut oil does not…i have not used it in my hair but i get numerous compliments regarding my skin…
    ps: and i do know of older black women that gave used vaseline prior to going to sleep most of their life, and yes their skin has less wrinkles but acne/blemishes were a problem.

74. Ciara says:

Hi Charlie,
    Thank you for the info. Very nicely laid out. Unfortunately, I had a terrible experience with raw organic virgin coconut oil. I already improved my skincare with a castor/avocado oil blend, which was working beautifully and then I got greedy. I heard how miraculous coconut oil was, so I went out and bought a big 500ml tub of it. Eek… big mistake for my skin type (dry).
    It was strange because it is so oily and smells so natural and full of goodness, but it left me with really dry, tight skin, even to where I started getting red splotches. I was gutted, because I kept hearing how fabulous it was (plus I had just forked out for a big bloomin’ jar of it!). So I stopped using it on my face and just used it on my body after showering… then red blotches began on my upper arms and chest. I’ve completely stopped using it in my skincare regime and instead I cook with it now so I don’t miss out on those MCTs:)
    I’ve no doubt that for certain individuals it will work perfectly with their skin type, but I really think that it is not the skincare panacea many people are making it out to be, and I wish I had been warned of this before I spent my money, and compromised my already lovely skin. Your best advice is to definitely test patch it first, before slathering it all over. For me it’s a definite no-go. Just grateful I have my castor/avocado oil repairing the damage as I type ;)

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I love avocado oil too, Ciara! I’m so sorry it didn’t work well for you, but I’m glad you have a great fall back. It sounds like you may be slightly allergic to coconut oil topically. Keep us informed on the avocado oil. I may need to do an article on it soon too. :)

75. Leanna says:

I was told that pure coconut oil can not be absorbed into the blood stream, through the skin. Which is good if you’re trying to be very careful about calories and fat. Do you know if this is accurate? What about fractionated coconut oil ? Thanks

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I’m sure a small amount of whatever is absorbed into your skin may make its way into your bloodstream, Leanna, but very little. The calories would be minuscule. This makes coconut oil a far better choice than all the lotions with synthetic chemicals in them that you don’t want making their way into your bloodstream in any amount. The fractionated oil may absorb a little more, but I still doubt you have to worry about it or any extra calories from it.

76. Anna says:

I just started using coconut oil on my face 2-3 days ago. I was scared to do so because in the past I have had acne and I was afraid of putting oil on my face. Oh my goodness! I am hooked. I can’t get over how good my skin feels. It only takes the tiniest amount, less than a pea size, rubbed between the palms and then all over the face. It makes my skin feel better than any lotion and I swear my face and hands look younger already. I used it to wash off my makeup last night but there was still enough left on my face after rinsing to provide the perfect moisturizing level, even for my oily skin. My skin was oily, but would peel around my nose. The peeling is already better. I have not had any breakouts from it yet. I would say there is definitely a difference in the quality of oils you can buy. Lou Anna, from the grocery store, would not be that great for the skin in my opinion, but I was using an organic, virgin coconut oil that is not processed. I wish I had known about this years ago. It makes my skin look so much better and my makeup apply smoother much like the expensive primers that some women use before applying makeup. I have made my own toothpaste and deodorant with a base of coconut oil and can’t believe how well they work. My teeth feel cleaner than ever! I love, love, love it! Don’t listen to the skeptics like I did for so long. Your skin will thank you and your liver too (for putting less toxins on your body).

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you so very much, Anna, for sharing how well it has worked for you. I love it as a toothpaste base too. Good for you for giving something different and a little scary a try. You are awesome! :)