The Best Coconut Oil

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 @ 08:06 AM Charlie Pulsipher
The Best Coconut Oil 3.65/5 (72.94%) 17 votes

the_best_coconut_oit_imageAfter posting our favorite 50 uses for coconut oil, we’ve been asked several times what the best brand of coconut oil we happen to like the most is. There are so many great ones out there that it became nearly impossible for us to pick just one. So we, here at Sunwarrior, put our heads and our taste buds together (not literally though) to pick our favorites and narrow it down to five. Here are the best ones we enjoy in no particular order.

Artisana – Artisana’s coconut oil is non-hydrogenated, unrefined, extra virgin, and certified organic. It has a wonderful coconut flavor and aroma and, as a bonus, comes in a glass jar. Check out their other coconut products, including coconut butter.

Nutiva – Nutiva is by far the favorite of almost everyone we polled for the quality and cost. It is inexpensive, delicious, certified organic, unrefined, cold-pressed, extra virgin, and chemical free. Nutiva has traditionally come in BPA-free plastic containers, but they now offer this great product in glass too. We love this coconut oil. We haven’t tried their Coconut Mana, but it looks amazing.

Maison Orphée – Maison Orphée makes organic and gourmet oils and condiments. Their coconut oil is of the highest quality. It’s organic, extra virgin, pearly white, gorgeous, delicious, and comes in a glass jar.

Ojio – This one has been used frequently by many in the office and it is very high quality, extra virgin, chemical free, non-hydrogenated, and uses cold centrifuge extraction. It also comes in glass to avoid BPA and other toxins.

Dr Bronner’s – Dr Bronner is better known for his natural and organic soaps, but he makes an excellent extra virgin coconut oil too. This oil is also cold pressed and organic with a delicate coconut aroma and flavor that will leave you feeling happy and energized.

Each one of these will fulfill all the uses that made our original list and more. These are the best of the best, but there are many brands out there that will meet your needs. Nature’s Way and Barlean’s narrowly missed making the top 5 list as they are excellent products, but not offered in glass. Check them out too. And if you come across another brand, just make sure you read the labels and choose what works for you and your life.

Learn more about Charlie Pulsipher

Charlie Pulsipher

About Charlie Pulsipher

Charlie Pulsipher is a health and fitness enthusiast, writer, author, and neighborhood do-gooder. He shifted his education from Biochemistry to English Literature in an attempt to avoid math, but never stopped loving the natural world of the miniscule. He has published several fantasy and science fiction novels and helped others publish more down to earth books about natural foods. He can’t stop writing. He is probably happily tapping away on some keyboard even now.

Claims on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. Information on this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Sunwarrior’s awesome expert writers do not replace doctors. Seek the advice of a medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle or diet.

Sunwarrior likes to share. Please feel free to repost articles as long as you always link back to the original and credit the author.

17 Responses to “The Best Coconut Oil”

1. Satish Narayan says:

I have grown up around coconuts and have lived with it all my life. Its a shame that the “west” doesn’t really understand coconut. Cold press oils, DME oils, expeller pressed oils are not virgin coconut oils at all. Also, its a pity that many online web hosts, nutritionists and gurus have absolutely no idea what true virgin coconut oil is at all. Virgin coconut oil as it is called has been produced in the pacific for as long as we know, and it is produced using a natural method of separation with no heat or mechanised assistance. That is the purest form from a technique that was perfected by our ancestors well over a thousand years ago. The true virgin coconut oil is produced by our local households daily. Just my two cents

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Thank you, Satish. I agree that it would be best to get it from fresh coconuts as you do without the assistance of mechanics. Unfortunately not many of us have access to fresh coconuts here. I live in the desert myself. The “virgin” coconut oil we find in stores is a decent runner up in my book, far better than relying on trans fats or too many animal fats. There are many coconut oils that do not use heat, though most do use mechanical means to extract the oil. Then again mechanical vises have been a part of oil extraction for thousands of years.

2. tara says:

My father in law has been diagnosed with ALS and has been dealing with muscle pain, he saw an article about the benefits of coconut oil. This website was helpful in learning what the benefits really are and how it can help him. Also, thanks for the suggestions on the brands.

• tara says:

step father, not father in law

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Coconut oil certainly is one of the natural foods that may help with ALS, Tara. Make sure he is working closely with his doctors as he tries new supplements and foods. I’d also recommend doing some research on Coenzyme Q10, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, and creatine. Good luck to you and him.

3. Marie says:

Have you tried Skinny Coconut? I had used something different before (can’t remember the brand), but it got too hot in the jar and I saw all these nasty orbs floating in it- can’t be good! I tried the Skinny brand and liked everything about it so much more- taste, texture, and smell! And when it melted, clear as water!

Also, love the jar!

4. Gayle says:

Nutiva brand is tasteless! I’ve had several other brands that taste so much more sweet and coconut-ty but now I can’t remember the brands. :\

5. William Berg says:

I have to disagree with Santiago, had the best results with Nature’s way. Also taste better imo.
    My bums on my arms have been diminishing after using this :)

6. Santiago says:

I think that nutiva is the best. I have tried Nature’s Way but i dident like it.

7. Lisa M says:

Hi I have heard of the many benefits to coconut oil for some time. I got away from using it because it left chunks in my smoothie and I did not care for that. I appreciate the tip of completely melting first and will try that. Still seems like it will harden again immediately with the other cold items in the smoothie. Nevertheless I will consume it some way.

Other tips to keep it from hardening in my smoothies would be greatly appreciated.
    ***I heard it is good for thyroid ..does anyone have any information about this?
    Lastly I purchased it for my little dog today. He has been itchy from allergies and coconut oil is coming highly recommended. He was not thrilled when I put it in his food.. any ideas?
    He didn’t mind it on his skin. Seems to be helping ease the itch.

I purchased the GARDEN OF LIFE brand raw unrefined organic extra virgin coconut oil from a vitamin store and it was the only one there in a glass jar. I went to get the Nutiva as another blog mentioned it as a fav however it was not in glass.

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

Hi, Lisa. I don’t premelt it. I simply add it first, so it is right next to the blades when they start turning. I’ve found it gets mixed in enough that I don’t notice it that way. There has been some evidence that coconut oil may help with thyroid health, but it is small and mostly anecdotal at the moment. The body does need healthy fats to create hormones and coconut oil does have some good antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, but it is too early to say for sure if these add up to a healthier thyroid. My dog loves it. Try giving a small amount to yours alone, not with food, and see how he or she likes it. The plastic doesn’t bother everyone. I am just avoiding it more often myself.

8. Theresa S. says:

I have been using the Spectrum brand. It comes in both refined and unrefined. I prefer the refined because I don’t always want the coconut flavor in everything I make. It also comes in glass jars. Wondering what your thoughts are on this brand?

• Charlie Pulsipher Charlie Pulsipher says:

I’m a fan of any brand that makes unrefined, virgin oil and puts it in glass. I understand not wanting the coconut flavor in everything. I tend to use a little olive oil with my coconut oil in things I don’t want the flavor to overpower. It cuts it quite a bit.

9. Bryna says:

have you heard of Tropical Traditions gold label coconut oil?

Thank you!

10. Lisa Garman says:

Tropical traditions is my fav!

11. Hollie says:

The Artisana brand of coconut butter is way better than the coconut manna from Nutiva which seems to have less flavor and is more maintenance just to prepare, although the ingredients are the same.